João Pedro

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that getting close to £35m for a player who's already played in the premier league and not really caught the eye is eye-watering like. 

Bruno cost that, Ekitike who's gone to PSG was a lower fee. Unless they rate him very highly it's an obvious risk for a player that, at least to the eye of the layman, doesn't look as much of a prospect as other players we've looked at. 

I just think of 30-ish million as the absolute standard for any kind of PL player at this point. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that getting close to £35m for a player who's already played in the premier league and not really caught the eye is eye-watering like. 

Bruno cost that, Ekitike who's gone to PSG was a lower fee. Unless they rate him very highly it's an obvious risk for a players that, at least to the eye of the layman, doesn't look as much of a prospect as other players we've looked at. 

I am trying not to focus too much on the fee itself. If Howe thinks he will be good for us and work within our system, I trust his judgement.

Edited by Klaus

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's part of the negotiation process. We offer £20m, they ask for £35m. We offer £25m they ask for £32m. We'll meet somewhere in the middle around £28-30m would be my guess.

Still seems a lot. A lot of that fee is potential.

Like Kaka would say - isn't there some kid in Brazil or France available at this level and potential for half?

£55m on back-up strikers is a lot.

I believe in the kid though.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bruno cost that, Ekitike who's gone to PSG was a lower fee. Unless they rate him very highly it's an obvious risk for a player that, at least to the eye of the layman, doesn't look as much of a prospect as other players we've looked at. 

You've just about done enough to avoid being called a bed wetter

It seems like a pretty meaty gamble tbh. It might pay off, but I hope in the future these sort of signings are made for a lot less, before they end up at a club that can name whatever price they want. My main concern at the moment is how this effects the budget for a first team player like Gallagher, would we be looking for loans only?

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I am trying not to focus too much on the fee itself. If Howe thinks he will be good for us and work within our system, I trust his judgement.

I do, but having watched him last night, his record in the PL, the fee that's being touted, and the reported fees of the other players we've been linked with who looked better, it's on the cusp like. 

22 minutes ago, Flip said:

:lol: At this point I give up. If you think the club (if) is buying him as a back up striker rather than for his potential and what he could develop into, then I can't help you. 

:lol: ok mate apart from the fact everybody and their Da has been saying we are crying out for a back up striker because Wilson can’t stay fit and wood can’t score. Now you are telling me we aren’t actually signing him as a back up striker but purely just for potential. So really it doesn’t really help our goal scoring problem if Wilson gets injured. At least Ekitike & Ramos both have potential and a decent scoring record. you seem confused. I can’t help you. 

Edited by gdm

13 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Can certainly see why Watford would ask for more than what we were willing to pay for Ekitike.

Hence why when bidding for anyone it’s important to be sensible otherwise it just sets a precedent for other future deals. 

I get the potential point I really do. He could turn in to a wonderful player but how does that help us this season if Wilson gets injured coz Pedro ain’t it and Wood ain’t it either. 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, Beth said:

Mad that it seems we baulked at paying £60m for Maddison but are happy to pay half that for a back up striker with a similar goalscoring record as Chris Wood.

Pretty simplistic way to look at things. All to do with how the selling clubs are willing to structure the deals. 

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

:lol: ok mate apart from the fact everybody and their Da has been saying we are crying out for a back up striker because Wilson can’t stay fit and wood can’t score. Now you are telling me we aren’t actually signing him as a back up striker but purely just for potential. So really it doesn’t really help our goal scoring problem if Wilson gets injured. At least Ekitike & Ramos both have potential and a decent scoring record. you seem confused. I can’t help you. 

:lol: 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think there's a player who would come to just be backup to Wilson who has a PL goalscoring record of any kind.

:thup: It's hard for some to grasp that. Also, we already have a player with a proven goalscoring record in the PL that is a backup striker for us. 

1 minute ago, Flip said:

:lol: 

I get you have some weird bias going on but are u genuinely telling me goals don’t matter when even Eddie Howe has said we need a back up for Wilson. :lol:

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think there's a player who would come to just be backup to Wilson who has a PL goalscoring record of any kind.

I would've loved to pay £60m for Maddison but he isn't a Wilson backup either. 

No but we could get someone than can only score 3 goals and doesn’t struggle v Birmingham. 

Just now, gdm said:

No but we could get someone than can only score 3 goals and doesn’t struggle v Birmingham. 

Well yeah of course, if you believe that's the only level he can reach then there's no debate. It's a bad signing for any PL team at any price. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, gdm said:

I get you have some weird bias going on but are u genuinely telling me goals don’t matter when even Eddie Howe has said we need a back up for Wilson. :lol:

:lol: Like I said, it's not a weird bias of any sort. It's the fact that you don't seem to grasp the basic concept that a 20 year old player could potentially develop into something more. Ekitike scored 3 goals in the Danish league two seasons ago. If Reims gave up on him as you seem to suggest he wouldn't have been sold for roughly £35m. I'll leave it at that. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well yeah of course, if you believe that's the only level he can reach then there's no debate. It's a bad signing for any PL team at any price. 

:lol: :thup: 

Don't think that's something that anyone needs to grasp though is it? Seems like a bit of a strawman to me. 

If he's a backup, then £30-£35m plus for a back up striker is an obvious risk and pretty normal stance to take, regardless of potential and particularly when his potential (at least to me) isn't as immediately apparent by watching him in the way that it has been with other players we've been linked with. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Flip said:

:lol: Like I said, it's not a weird bias of any sort. It's the fact that you don't seem to grasp the basic concept that a 20 year old player could potentially develop into something more. Ekitike scored 3 goals in the Danish league two seasons ago. If Reims gave up on him as you seem to suggest he wouldn't have been sold for roughly £35m. I'll leave it at that. 

£30m is a lot to pay for potential mind.