João Pedro

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

:lol: Like I said, it's not a weird bias of any sort. It's the fact that you don't seem to grasp the basic concept that a 20 year old player could potentially develop into something more. Ekitike scored 3 goals in the Danish league two seasons ago. If Reims gave up on him as you seem to suggest he wouldn't have been sold for roughly £35m. I'll leave it at that. 

Im not saying he won’t get better you’ve completely put those words in my mouth. My issue is everyone on here to a man has said we need a goalscorer this window coz Wilson can’t stay fit. Even Eddie howe has made similar noises but you know better of course :lol:

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Don't think that's something that anyone needs to grasp though is it? Seems like a bit of a strawman to me. 

If he's a backup, then £30-£35m plus for a back up striker is an obvious risk and pretty normal stance to take, particularly when his potential isn't immediately apparent by watching him in the way that it has been with other players we've been linked with. 

Very much this. He looks completely average at times. If there is potential there fair enough but to spend £30m on his mental but but he’s Brazilian so there is that :lol:

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Still seems a lot. A lot of that fee is potential.

Like Kaka would say - isn't there some kid in Brazil or France available at this level and potential for half?

£55m on back-up strikers is a lot.

I believe in the kid though.

I'm sure there are kids in Brazil or France available, but maybe since we only got Dan Ashworth throught the door yesterday, we haven't had time to set up the infrastructure to spot them early enough yet. This stuff takes time to set up so we are having to take a few shortcuts. That's my reading of the situation anyway. I'd like to think a year down the line we'll be picking these guys up for £4m like Watford did.

I put the blame for this squarely on the previous regime.

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Still seems a lot. A lot of that fee is potential.

Like Kaka would say - isn't there some kid in Brazil or France available at this level and potential for half?

£55m on back-up strikers is a lot.

I believe in the kid though.

Apparently he’s not a back up striker. He’s potential [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Im not saying he won’t get better you’ve completely put those words in my mouth. My issue is everyone on here to a man has said we need a goalscorer this window coz Wilson can’t stay fit. Even Eddie howe has made similar noises but you know better of course :lol:

Eddie Howe, the man that would be buying him if this actually happens? Goes both ways huh.

Obviously, he'd be a back-up for the front-three. In the same mould Ekitike was discussed being it. What I was saying is that the fee is based on potential that they might see in him. We could go for someone better right now, that is a bit cheaper, but that won't improve us mid- nor long-term. :thup: 

1 minute ago, Flip said:

Eddie Howe, the man that would be buying him if this actually happens? Goes both ways huh.

Obviously, he'd be a back-up for the front-three. In the same mould Ekitike was discussed being it. What I was saying is that the fee is based on potential that they might see in him. We could go for someone better right now, that is a bit cheaper, but that won't improve us mid- nor long-term. :thup: 

Yes, I agree about that on the fee. The point I was making is about the lack of goals within the squad. It’s already not enough even with Wilson fit. I don’t think anyone can disagree with that ? That doesn’t look like it’ll be an issue that’s addressed with this transfer. All I was saying 

Edited by gdm

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

Somebody like Pedro, sharing the burden of giving Wilson a rest at the end of games that are won, would help to keep him fit.

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

:thup: It's hard for some to grasp that. Also, we already have a player with a proven goalscoring record in the PL that is a backup striker for us. 

Agreed.  For all the flak Wood gets, his PL goal scoring record is perfectly respectable.  He’s a half decent back-up CF for a mid table side. 

18 minutes ago, gdm said:

I get you have some weird bias going on but are u genuinely telling me goals don’t matter when even Eddie Howe has said we need a back up for Wilson. :lol:

I'd like to help answer this if I could?

Firstly, you are right, goals are important but they don't have to be scored by one player. It's much more important to play well as a team and find goals from different areas.

I'd argue that a player like JP would be better than both Wood AND Wilson in this regard. His whole game from what I've seen and read, is about playing between the lines, holding onto the ball and bringing others into play.

Secondly, we can't always sign ready made players, especially in the striker department. You have to have some scope for buying potential and while that doesn't help us for the here and now, it will help us further up the road.

I've also got a theory that says we are deliberately not going all out on a striker this summer, for two reasons. One, we've got two ageing forwards who we can't get off the books this summer (Wilson we don't want to, Wood we've just signed) but next summer we will almost certainly let Wood leave and the other reason is money. We've clearly not got alot left in this kitty because we've spent 150m since January. My guess is thar next summer we will go all out for someone like Isak, by which point we will be in a much smoother place in terms of incoming money. Anyway, if this theory is correct, signing a young player with potential makes sense, instead of potentially signing another dud like Chris Wood.

Edited by STM

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  For all the flak Wood gets, his PL goal scoring record is perfectly respectable.  He’s a half decent back-up CF for a mid table side. 

Yeah, sorry, definitely wasn't what I was trying to say. He's shit :lol: ;) 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Problem is Burnley played to Wood’s strengths. We don’t necessarily do. He’ll struggle to get a similar return with us imo 

Whether we got Ekitike or go with Ramos or Pedro, there's plenty of risk there. They all cost £25 million to £30 million, they're all raw and unrefined and none of them are going to get close to Wilson's goal return at this stage. You're paying for potential.

As I've said, there's a lot to like about Pedro, but like any player his age he's far from the finished article. I think he has the talent and application to succeed though. 

As I said earlier, it’s not a bold take to suggest that 30 million for a prospect who has yet to have a break-out year at the top-level is  bordering on a bit mental. And this is from someone who does rate the guy.

…But then you see Everton rejecting a 45m bid for Gordon and nothing makes sense anymore. So, yeah.

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Yes, I agree about that on the fee. The point I was making is about the lack of goals within the squad. It’s already not enough even with Wilson fit. I don’t think anyone can disagree with that ? That doesn’t look like it’ll be an issue that’s addressed with this transfer. All I was saying 

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the window pans out, and who we get on loan. We might be able to add some goals yet. Even this deal hasn't gone through yet, we might be arguing the toss over nothing.

I think gdm is right in a sense. JP wouldn't solve our goal problem, in the event Wilson got injured but we might be a better team.

I think we have to accept that for this summer we aren't signing an Isak or whatever because we've spent alot of our budget on other areas (which was necessary).