João Pedro

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wouldn’t call the Isak and Diaby valuations fair, if of course the press reports where correct.

Maybe. I don't think either player is really up for sale anyway so the clubs are choosing their selling price. Like Fofana - if you want to sign someone they don't want or need to sell, bring the premium price.

And the JM & JH bids. I knew they were silly low, they didn't make sense at the time. And they don't make sense now.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

The reason we aren't making the signings is we aren't  prepared to meet clubs (fair) valuation price. That's the reason we haven't landed Maddison & Harrison. Diaby & Isak too. If we don't land JP, it will be because we won't meet his clubs valuation of him.

There's been 2 occasions we have been more than happy to meet a clubs valuation and seem happy to pay more than other clubs would (probably because we are paying over longer instalments, with the other clubs paying more upfront - I assume). We priced out Milan for Botman (or they didn't want to invest so much in defence) and offered more money for Ekitike than PSG.

That's not a contradiction. I mean, it's not even an opinion. It's what has been reported in the media.

That's all fine but you've made many posts (not necessarily today) basically stating "we're waiting too long, our signings aren't enough to move us up, why haven't we paid what clubs want we must not have the money we thought etc". But then you say "There's no Newcastle tax, it's we're going for players who want CL football". That to me sounds like you think we're aiming too high in the first place which contradicts the point of not making enough signings of quality. Shouldn't we be aiming for those players or at least trying, even if they're a bit too ambitious for where we are?

I personally think we aimed high in our targets earlier in the window (Isak, Diaby etc), quickly realized they were out of our range, and have switched targets accordingly. It is taking a while (nearly 2 months since Botman signed) but we're being smart with our money until the revenue/sponsorship catches up. I don't like going into the final week or so of the window without the attacking reinforcements we need any more than anyone else, because if anything we're less likely to get quality as clubs don't want to sell and have to replace that late. But we are where we are and we're learning all the time.

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

How many footballers who have had poor finishing, went on to improve it dramatically?

Genuine question. I only really expose myself to NUFC, and I can’t remember any poor finishers becomIng good. 

John Dahl Tommasson?

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

That's all fine but you've made many posts (not necessarily today) basically stating "we're waiting too long, our signings aren't enough to move us up, why haven't we paid what clubs want we must not have the money we thought etc". But then you say "There's no Newcastle tax, it's we're going for players who want CL football". That to me sounds like you think we're aiming too high in the first place which contradicts the point of not making enough signings of quality. Shouldn't we be aiming for those players or at least trying, even if they're a bit too ambitious for where we are?

I personally think we aimed high in our targets earlier in the window (Isak, Diaby etc), quickly realized they were out of our range, and have switched targets accordingly. It is taking a while (nearly 2 months since Botman signed) but we're being smart with our money until the revenue/sponsorship catches up. I don't like going into the final week or so of the window without the attacking reinforcements we need any more than anyone else, because if anything we're less likely to get quality as clubs don't want to sell and have to replace that late. But we are where we are and we're learning all the time.

I've not said "we must not have the money we thought" - I know it's because of FFP.

We are 2 quality players away from being a really good team. It's 18/8, we are still 2 quality players away from being a really good team. As much as I like JP, I don't think he's one of the players to take us to that level either.

No.. i've not said we are aiming too high. I'm simply stating there's no Newcastle tax.. but we have been willing to pay more than other teams off our own accord. That's it. I've said that because of what happened with Botman and Etikite. Neither player are too good for us, one actually joined.

Being smart is not 1) wasting time on players that are clearly way too expensive (Isak & Diaby) and 2) wasting time bidding well-below asking price for more realisic targets (JM, JH). At this point, we are a fair way down our list. I am a bit fearful that we end up with JP + whoever we can sort a deal for at Chelsea. It could work out tremendously but that wouldn't be a great window on paper. Beign smart is what Arsenal have done. Key signings in for pre-season that stick to their transfer strategy. Now it's just teh final pieces. We on the other hand, are leaving the 2-3 most key positions to fill, to the last 2 weeks of the transfer window.

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s this idea that there’s this Newcastle tax. There’s not

There’s a tax for signing players teams don’t want to sell or feel like they should sell. 

We have willingly outbid teams for targets when a lower fee could’ve secured the player (if the player actually wanted to come). That’s the biggest tax, the ‘don’t play for the champions league club - play for us’ tax.  

Source: your ringpiece

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I've not said "we must not have the money we thought" - I know it's because of FFP.

We are 2 quality players away from being a really good team. It's 18/8, we are still 2 quality players away from being a really good team. As much as I like JP, I don't think he's one of the players to take us to that level either.

No.. i've not said we are aiming too high. I'm simply stating there's no Newcastle tax.. but we have been willing to pay more than other teams off our own accord. That's it. I've said that because of what happened with Botman and Etikite. Neither player are too good for us, one actually joined.

Being smart is not 1) wasting time on players that are clearly way too expensive (Isak & Diaby) and 2) wasting time bidding well-below asking price for more realisic targets (JM, JH). At this point, we are a fair way down our list. I am a bit fearful that we end up with JP + whoever we can sort a deal for at Chelsea. It could work out tremendously but that wouldn't be a great window on paper. Beign smart is what Arsenal have done. Key signings in for pre-season that stick to their transfer strategy. Now it's just teh final pieces. We on the other hand, are leaving the 2-3 most key positions to fill, to the last 2 weeks of the transfer window.

We don't have any clue as to how much time was spent on those players. There's been so much poor reporting, blatant lies and agent-driven nonsense, sifting through all that is an pointless exercise. The Maddison bids, I don't have a good answer to those, they were a little odd.

I personally try to remember where we were as recently as a year ago and where we are now. The two situations could hardly be more different. If you told me 12 months ago we'd be "fearful" of ending up with JP+ a Chelsea loan, in addition to what we've added and after finishing how we did, i'd have snapped your hands off. Perspective is a good thing man.

7 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

We don't have any clue as to how much time was spent on those players. There's been so much poor reporting, blatant lies and agent-driven nonsense, sifting through all that is an pointless exercise. The Maddison bids, I don't have a good answer to those, they were a little odd.

I personally try to remember where we were as recently as a year ago and where we are now. The two situations could hardly be more different. If you told me 12 months ago we'd be "fearful" of ending up with JP+ a Chelsea loan, in addition to what we've added and after finishing how we did, i'd have snapped your hands off. Perspective is a good thing man.

But ultimately - it's 18/8 and we haven't filled our 2 priority positions. So like... things haven't gone to plan so far on that front.

It's like how Man Utd don't have any new central midfielders. Something's gone wrong there clearly.

My perspective is clear. We are on the up. We have an opportunity here to strike while the iron is hot and we may miss it. But we'll be stronger year on year. Doesn't mean I can't show displeasure at things not going to plan.

I like JP and I hope we sign him but I have a hunger for more.

Edited by The College Dropout

45 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Looks absolutely class on that video above. We really need another forward who can beat a man. Looks big and strong, too.

Doesn't look scared to get stuck in either - people keep mentioning his record at Watford in the PL but it was in a really...REALLY poor side.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

But ultimately - it's 18/8 and we haven't filled our 2 priority positions. So like... things haven't gone to plan so far on that front.

It's like how Man Utd don't have any new central midfielders. Something's gone wrong there clearly.

My perspective is clear. We are on the up. We have an opportunity here to strike while the iron is hot and we may miss it. But we'll be stronger year on year. Doesn't mean I can't show displeasure at things not going to plan.

I like JP and I hope we sign him but I have a hunger for more.

Do you concede that you don’t know what the plan is?

15 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You just talk absolute shite, man. You've got the lab coat out to read unverified information from journalists on Twitter.

:lol: And he actually mentions when he mutes people. To call him a raging bellend would do raging bellends throughout this wide world of ours a grave injustice.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Harry Kane's the best example I can think of. He went from:

5 in 18 in League One

7 in 22 in the Championship

2 in 13 in the Championship

3 in 10 in the Premier League 

and looking like a bit of a donkey

to

21 in 34 in the Premier League 

to being labelled a one season wonder and we know the rest.

Others I can think of are Sterling at Liverpool and early Man City and Torres at Atletico Madrid, his record was good but he was a bit wasteful, then he went ballistic at Liverpool.

Vardy took a while to get going as well.

Edited by Kid Icarus

No second bid claim here.

I don't know why, but after looking at his background how he started out as a defensive midfielder, only switching later to an attacking mid, before then becoming a striker late on in his career before joining Watford waiting for Visa clearance, it sounds like he doesn't really have a solid position that he's always played? 

I'm not entirely sure this transfer is even a thing, I'm starting to think its total bollocks. 

Edited by mighty__mag

Could have easily had another 2-3 assists just in that compilation. 

The managerial dysfunction at Watford compared to what he’d step into here is big deal. That combined with his age and I think he’s very likely to take his game up a level, which will make him well worth whatever we end up paying. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Harry Kane's the best example I can think of. He went from:

5 in 18 in League One

7 in 22 in the Championship

2 in 13 in the Championship

3 in 10 in the Premier League 

to

21 in 34 in the Premier League 

and the rest we know.

Others I can think of are Sterling at Liverpool and early Man City and Torres at Atletico Madrid, his record was good but he was a bit wasteful, then he went ballistic at Liverpool.

Vardy took a while to get going as well.

It also helps when they're playing with better players - we have one of the best midfielders in the PL to feed him.

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I don't know why, but after looking at his background how he started out as a defensive midfielder, only switching later to an attacking mid, before then becoming a striker late on in his career before joining Watford waiting for Visa clearance, it sounds like he doesn't really have a solid position that he's always played? 

You mean like Joelinton?  I don't think that worked out too badly.

Edited by duo

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Dallying over sacking Bruce. Messy hiring process for Howe. Naive with Etikite and not having clear back-ups. Embarassing bid for Maddison. Similar weird low-balling for Harrison.

I'm not sure we've allocated the transfer funds across the squad in the most optimal manner.

But nothing fatal. We are bringing in good players who are good characters and are being pretty risk averse.

I was just talking about the summer transfer window, but fair enough.

I had no real issue with how the Howe hiring came about, it was more the constant leaks to the media. Individuals will turn you down in football and hirings frequently don't go to plan, the problem was we looked a bit daft after Emery was leaked as our number one target.

It was similar in January with the daily transfer updates about Botman and Carlos. Thankfully it seems that lessons have been learnt and we've started using the media to our own ends.

With regards to our transfers this summer we clearly want a young forward, who can play across the line and a player to add a bit of creativity. Given the staggering amount of work that goes into a transfer window I'd be amazed if we didn't have back up to any of our targets.

The Maddison bid looks really bizarre from the outside looking in. At the local journo talk in, it was claimed that his agent led us to believe he was available for around £45 million, who knows if that was correct. As for Harrison, I don't think anyone reliable ever confirmed that we made a bid, did they?

The problem with looking at the workings of a transfer window is that you're given so little context, information is usually leaked by a party with a vested interest. Not having all of our new faces in by now shows things haven't quite gone to plan, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until 2 September.

So glad to have muted Vinny on my balls too. I just know he's on my nuts.

3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Do you concede that you don’t know what the plan is?

No tbf - I think I do.

We want to mainly sign youngish players on the way up who can grow and improve with the team. Whose value will increase and we want to pay what we consider good "value". Bruno and Botman are the benchmark imo. I think the "plan" in May would be to have at least 1 attacker already signed by now... and that hasn't happened. I don't think any team plans to not have key business done by 18/8.

In terms of particular players and such. I don't know. But I don't expect us to sign a 28 year-old for £50m.

I assume the plan is to sign JP and at least 1 other player.

This is not to sound like a know-it-all, it's just what they've tried (or not tried) to do all summer anyway according to the media.

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/20672494.watford-not-second-newcastle-united-bid-joao-pedro/

No second bid claim here.

I'm not entirely sure this transfer is even a thing, I'm starting to think its total bollocks. 

Honestly, watching him, he looks every bit the player you'd put in the Henry role drifting from the left. Similar to what Ekitike looked like. He doesn't look like a striker in the understudy to Wilson mould at all.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, watching him, he looks every bit the player you'd put in the Henry role drifting from the left. Similar to what Ekitike looked like. He doesn't look like a striker in the understudy to Wilson mould at all.

Sounds daft, but could he be the creative outlet we've been after and we also want an understudy to Wilson?

Edited by The Prophet