Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

It is a big problem. Add Hargreaves, Teal Bunbury and Alain Rochat to that list. In some ways I can understand the defection, it is disappointing though as it sets a trend. Having one of those committing has a knock on effect to younger players.

Made the mistake of watching the Canada game. Floro has his hands full. zero organisation, zero talent. Thats maybe a touch harsh, they looked ten times better 2 years ago and surely they can just be coached better. They miss De Rosario badly, not sure why Atiba Hutchison wasn't picked. Tiebert has potential but was poor today. Simeon Jackson should have started from the outset.

Hopefully Floro can persuade Hoilett and De Guzman back, seems very unlikely though. His appointment could be a masterstroke or doomed to failure, his record in management doesn't seem to suggest he is here for the long term. Until the country puts money into improving the structure of the game past high school it wont improve.

Benito Floro managing Canada was such a strange appointment. He had a brilliant spell in the early 90s, but hasn't reproduced it since, and has no experience at international level.

Sometimes I pity all these low-rated national teams that get conned with our managerial hasbeens (Camacho, Clemente...)

What's the Donovan story, btw? He past it or something?

He took the off-season in the MLS off rather than going to Europe, and ditched a call up in that period IIRC. Not taken well.

It is a big problem. Add Hargreaves, Teal Bunbury and Alain Rochat to that list. In some ways I can understand the defection, it is disappointing though as it sets a trend. Having one of those committing has a knock on effect to younger players.

Made the mistake of watching the Canada game. Floro has his hands full. zero organisation, zero talent. Thats maybe a touch harsh, they looked ten times better 2 years ago and surely they can just be coached better. They miss De Rosario badly, not sure why Atiba Hutchison wasn't picked. Tiebert has potential but was poor today. Simeon Jackson should have started from the outset.

Hopefully Floro can persuade Hoilett and De Guzman back, seems very unlikely though. His appointment could be a masterstroke or doomed to failure, his record in management doesn't seem to suggest he is here for the long term. Until the country puts money into improving the structure of the game past high school it wont improve.

It's good that Hutchinson seems to be back in form and healthy, he's easily one of Canada's best players. I understand that DeRo's not having a great season for D.C. (nobody is), but you have to think he would have been an upgrade over all the AMs/forwards on the roster. Canada's striking options are downright pitiful.

Marcus f***ing Haber.. he is playing non-league!

Will be interesting to see where Atiba ends up, surprised he is without a club. I am sure MLS clubs are making a play for him. He is exactly what Vancouver need to get Davidson out of the team.

Benito Floro managing Canada was such a strange appointment. He had a brilliant spell in the early 90s, but hasn't reproduced it since, and has no experience at international level.

Sometimes I pity all these low-rated national teams that get conned with our managerial hasbeens (Camacho, Clemente...)

Yeah strange one, he has done well at the teams he has managed in South America. Questions have to be asked why he was managing there not in Europe though. Flopped at Mallorca.

That'll do.

I'm excited for Holden to play a full year for Bolton. Such a talented player just now finding his rhythm again. I think he's a starter in Brazil if he can get back to form.

We're kinda awesome.

Who the hell is that team like. :lol: Maybe North and South America should merge for international competitions/qualification.

I forgot that you guys are the ones still butt-hurt about Gareth Bale.  Maybe Wales and England should merge?  How about Scotland and Ireland while we're at it.

We're kinda awesome.

Who the hell is that team like. :lol: Maybe North and South America should merge for international competitions/qualification.

I forgot that you guys are the ones still butt-hurt about Gareth Bale.  Maybe Wales and England should merge?  How about Scotland and Ireland while we're at it.

:lol: We'd need to merge Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland first.

We're kinda awesome.

:lol: Cuba not having it.

Fuck you Decky.

We're kinda awesome.

:lol: Cuba not having it.

Fuck you Decky.

What? Decky is clearly saying that he thinks the US should enter the SA qualifiers for stuff rather than beat random islands/shit places XX-0, much like how Australia ditched the Oceanic qualifiers and joined the Asian one, which makes a bit of sense since they'd improve with better competition, albeit they'd not be guaranteed a spot at the WC anymore. Not saying countries should merge.

It would be a terrible idea though. Basically took a 20+ goal victory for Australia to leave Oceania, the talent level isn't nearly as bad in concacaf as it is in the Pacific Islands. We have a difficult enough system now, going to Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. is not easy, and we hardly play the smaller countries like Belize in qualifying, only in small tournaments like this.

Quality of the CONCACAF teams (Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama) improves every year too.

I'd understand if the U.S. or Mexico got to the World Cup and were completely embarrassed. But that's not happened for some time.

It still hamstrings your progress. Conmebol and UEFA teams play the kind of opposition they'll face in the WC several times in a year, even the UEFA groups have pretty strong qual groups when you take out the couple minnows. You only do when you get to the real thing.