Alexander Isak

Disco

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned much is how good his assist was for the Anderson goal that was wrongly chalked off. The ball came to him when he was on the floor in a crowded area. Somehow he created the space under pressure to put in a great cross.

Only a very small handful of players could have done that.

Creating space for the assist is not even remotely describing what he did with proper justice. He got up in an instant, dragged the ball back and flicked it forward to his left. Killed the entire def and goalie dead. And then casually lofted it to the back post. All of that took literally 1.5 seconds. 

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned much is how good his assist was for the Anderson goal that was wrongly chalked off. The ball came to him when he was on the floor in a crowded area. Somehow he created the space under pressure to put in a great cross.

Only a very small handful of players could have done that.

Yep, it was unreal. His assist for Joelinton against Southampton was absolutely top tier as well. 

I know people will say Bruno and I won't argue but I think Isak is probably the most talented player in the squad. Early days I know so it's a bit of a punt, but I think we've got a potential top-three-in-the league-er here. 

39 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yep, it was unreal. His assist for Joelinton against Southampton was absolutely top tier as well. 

I know people will say Bruno and I won't argue but I think Isak is probably the most talented player in the squad. Early days I know so it's a bit of a punt, but I think we've got a potential top-three-in-the league-er here. 

We'll have 11 when we beat Man U and win our games in hand.

Depends on how you define 'talent', in terms of raw, unorthodox and instinctive skill and confidence, Isak is absolutely the best, followed by Maxi imo.

If you open up the definition to include street-savviness, winning free kicks, ball retention, killer balls then Bruno is amazing.

We've got some exceptional footballers at the club right now. What a great debate to have.

His passing goes pretty unnoticed imo. He often picks it up on the left and plays a perfect through ball to Willock, Joelinton, and most recently against Wolves, Isak. 

Pretty weird to discount someone's best talent as well like. You may as well say that beyond goalscoring Haaland isn't particularly talented, it's meaningless. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

No he is a very wasteful unintelligent passer who occasionally hits a corker.

you can very much discount a talent if the talent doesn’t help much.

Sooner people realise that ASM was of similar quality to LuaLua the better.

Each to their own like, but it's hard to present an argument to any of those things without it just being me saying that I think everything you've said is very, very wrong, really.  

Edited by Kid Icarus

Maxi carried us at time under Bruce basically as he was just allowed to do what he wanted and was pretty much our only outlet. Now that he isn't allowed to just do what he wants and is expected to play as part of a system and is part of a team challenging for the top 4 and not the bottom 4 his limitations have been exposed.

3 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Maxi carried us at time under Bruce basically as he was just allowed to do what he wanted and was pretty much our only outlet. Now that he isn't allowed to just do what he wants and is expected to play as part of a system and is part of a team challenging for the top 4 and not the bottom 4 his limitations have been exposed.

Think it's the exact opposite tbh. Now that he has to work in a system under Howe and he's working on being that type of player, he's gone too far with it, thrown the baby out with the bath water and he isn't using the main strength he's known for as much as he could and probably should be. 

ASM looked noticeably better in the Wolves game after about half an hour when he realised releasing the ball down the channels quick to Isak was proving far more fruitful than running with the ball. Even then he didn't pass at times when he should have, etc.

I think he's a talented player, but sadly his talent won't be realised because of his mentality.

Back to Isak though, Isak absolutely will be a player and is already proving that. He's only to get better for us in my opinion. He'll get used to the physicality and we'll build around him and free him up more to run the channels and drag defenders around. 

45 minutes ago, James said:

Beyond dribbling ability I don’t think ASM is a particularly talented player

Dribbling also involves balance, agility, different types of pace.

ASM is also a clean striker of the ball and his left foot is pretty handy.

He's not great off the ball though.

Apart from poacher types. The most talented players by further up the pitch. I always thought Marcelo or Sergio Ramos would make decent central midfielders or 10 but they were world class for their positions that require less talent.

Isak has a £100m player level talent.

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

In terms of being the most talented all-round player at the club, I think it's Trippier like, for what it's worth...

:thup: Even if he's not the most talented footballer over say Bruno, he's near enough and his leadership and example setting put him at the top for me.  

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

:thup: Even if he's not the most talented footballer over say Bruno, he's near enough and his leadership and example setting put him at the top for me.  

There will be areas where Bruno and Isak and ASM etc are better or the best compared to others but I think KT does almost everything to a high level. As you correctly say, his leadership is the best of all our players, he is one of our best readers of the game, he's one of our best set piece takers, he can tackle, shoot, pass. He's outstanding.

11 minutes ago, Heron said:

In terms of being the most talented all-round player at the club, I think it's Trippier like, for what it's worth...

If he was so talented, he wouldn't be a career right back. Comparable level players at CM and ST will be more talented imo.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, The College Dropout said:

If he was so talented, he wouldn't be a career right back.

I think that's rubbish, personally.

Footballers play different positions, you can be a talented footballer without being the most skillful. Trippier is by far a better footballer than ASM for example.

Yeah, you can easily disprove that concept by comparing Dani Alves with Marlon Harewood. Everyone has their own strengths and it's about the level you play at. It just so happens that at Newcastle rather than Athletico Madrid or Spurs, he's right up there.

Dunno if it's just a case of me getting older, or learning more, but as I've got older, the stuff beyond how good a player someone is beyond physical attributes takes on much more importance. The whole leadership, setting an example, being a positive role model stuff. Supporting Newcastle, it's usually been the case that players who have those qualities almost have them as a cover for not being a particularly good player. Smith, Butt, Ryan Taylor etc.

Having someone like Trippier who's like that but also a really good footballer shines more of a light on how important those things actually are imo. 

Edited by Kid Icarus