Alexander Isak: Nominated for PL POTY & YPOTY

Disco

48 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’m not saying you said he’s shite like, sorry if that came across.

I just want people to see what I see with Burn in truth :lol:. He’s a player who is predominantly in the team to a) provide the structure of our rest defence shape and b) assist in our first phase of build up (you will often see him and the two centre backs for a 3 at the back shape when we have the ball deep whilst Trippier pulls high and wide as part of the attacking unit).

I think given this role in the team it’s impossible to also expect him to provide overlapping runs into the final third *regularly*. Whilst this might seem frustrating, the left side of our attack is instead designed - purposefully - for the left sided forward player to combine with the left sided midfield player rather than the full back (unlike ie Trippier and Almirón on the other side). That’s why you see Willock/Anderson/Joelinton often position themselves on the touchline even from the left central midfield position. In our setup it’s their role to combine with the winger rather than Burn’s most of the time. Absolutely no top side leaves only two defenders back apart from maybe Brighton sometimes - and they regularly get exposed for it. Most good sides build with a 3-2 structure (ours is often Burn-Botman-Schar with Bruno-Longstaff in front for example) and have done in the PL since Conte’s Chelsea.

All fair points, also part of the reason why I think we will still end up signing an out and out 6 long term, so they can form the 3 with the 2 CBs and both full backs push on. Can’t imagine we have signed Hall and Livramento for one of them to play the burn role.

7 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Can’t wait to see Willock and Gordon playing together more with him

Yeah I think Willock is a big miss for Isak and for us driving the team on late on. That game yesterday was tailor made for someone of Willock’s ability making those driving runs with Isak.

I'm of the belief he's the second-best striker in the PL. Glad he's scoring regularly now.

Annoyed that I brought him in on FPL, 3 blanks in a row including a 0 minute game. Took him out because he's a minutes risk with Wilson. Then Wilson gets injured not long after. He's scored 4 in the 3 games after i've FPL sold him. GREAT STUFF ALEX. KEEP IT UP.

I So wish his touch was better for the one he hit the post with as a better first touch he wouldnt have had to try and go around the keeper. Was very similar to the one against Burnley where he went clean through too. Better first touch and composure in them situations will come though. Very fine margins he scores that we go 3-1 up we win the game

Got to love Iceman Isak.  Just coolness personified on the pitch.  

That said, I would have expected him to turn back in on his right foot for the chance where he hit the post.  Seemed uncharacteristically rushed from someone who is always so composed and was massively off balance and on his weaker foot.  

Considering he has clearly been playing through an injury.  He's off to a flyer and the great news for us, is that he should be improving from here.  

Hope he pulls out of the Sweden squad with this knee injury.  Get a few players back from injury and some getting over their knocks these next two weeks and we're in a good spot. 

9 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

This looks dodgy af though Isak push

Didn’t spot that—not the only one, thankfully. All part of the game. There was a headed chance where if Anderson had barged his man out of the way (shoulder to shoulder was an option) he may well have scored. A bit of ‘gamecraft’ often required. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Didn’t spot that—not the only one, thankfully. All part of the game. There was a headed chance where if Anderson had barged his man out of the way (shoulder to shoulder was an option) he may well have scored. A bit of ‘gamecraft’ often required. 

Is it only gamecraft when we do it? (Asking for a friend)

Just now, healthyaddiction said:

Wilson is a goal every 61 minutes. They're the best per 90 goal scorers in the league, even compared to Haaland. On xg too.

Ha ha mad - hadn't realised that - mental!

I remember when I did my year abroad in France in 07/08 there were Americans staying in my town and they used the word baller a lot to describe people who were “good at something”. Hated it even when it was used in a non-sports context