Alexander Isak

Disco

First half he was absolutely terrific, wasnt as good in the second but knew his main objective in the second half was to work hard and press and he did that perfectly. His shot for the first goal is really good, one of those where so many strikers mishit and skies it or something, but he gets it down and on target forcing a good save.

No denying he worked exceptionally hard tonight.  I got some stick in the match thread for saying he was poor at HT. Still don't think he had a great game but played his part well considering he saw very little of the ball in meaningful areas.

I'm not convinced he's 100% fit, maybe it's not that, just something seems off about him last 2/3 games. Perhaps he's just out of form.

Edited by Mazzy

The triggered the press incredibly well tonight, even when he was absolutely blowing out of his arse towards the end. Really good to see since it’s something that Wilson has typically been better at doing.

Honestly, if he's not 100% which seems to have been referred to multiple times now, I don't have a single worry about him. Worked his arse off again an led the press from the front.

Even in an 'off' day (i.e. doesn't score) you can see what he's trying to do, even if it doesn't pay off.

It's just so good to not worry about a player and know they'll do their bit whatever the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

No denying he worked exceptionally hard tonight.  I got some stick in the match thread for saying he was poor at HT. Still don't think he had a great game but played his part well considering he saw very little of the ball in meaningful areas.

I'm not convinced he's 100% fit, maybe it's not that, just something seems off about him last 2/3 games. Perhaps he's just out of form.

Yeah, I saw your post. I understood what you were referring to.

He did have moments where he was loose with the ball for sure, and should have released the ball a bit sooner, as they were closing on him quickly when he got on the ball.

Loved his energy and desire all night though, even when things weren't necessarily going perfect for him.

The shot he got off and in target was incredibly important too.

Was happy with him. Solid night.

He worked very well and could have scored himself. Sometimes when he gets tired he seems a bit selfish. Second half he had a tame shot on goal when we finally had bodies near the box.

But he worked his socks off and he is always a danger.

He was running empty from about an hour. Would have loved to have brought Wilson on at that point to throw himself about

Sunday is gonna be such a slog

Really hope Eddie pulls a fergie and persuades a few lads out their international squads

13 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Think we could really do with a clear 3rd choice striker. Can’t rely on Wilson over a season and Isak’s clearly having to play through a knock due to it. 

Had images of Murphy playing 70 minutes as a forward when Isak went down with that head injury. It was him, Anderson or Gordon, and I didn't really want to sacrifice Gordon on the left.

12 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Think we could really do with a clear 3rd choice striker. Can’t rely on Wilson over a season and Isak’s clearly having to play through a knock due to it. 

Is that mean to be Gordon? Barnes or Joe LW. Almiron or Murphy RW.

Gordon was knackered but had more legs than Isak.

You want your striker to have 3-4 shots per game on average. I don't think Isak averages more than 2. As someone said, he doesn't seem to get on the ball in meaningful areas much.

Agree that he seems to be playing through and injury and perhaps a bit within himself. Yet he is still really effective, scoring goals and getting chances. It just shows how good he is. 

He got the press spot on last night. Always seemed to be at the right time in the game and then the others would follow. 

35 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Agree that he seems to be playing through and injury and perhaps a bit within himself. Yet he is still really effective, scoring goals and getting chances. It just shows how good he is. 

He got the press spot on last night. Always seemed to be at the right time in the game and then the others would follow. 

I don’t think he’s playing within him, I thought he gave it his absolute all and worked relentlessly. It’s always going to be tough for any forward when we are lacking possession, 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think he’s playing within him, I thought he gave it his absolute all and worked relentlessly. It’s always going to be tough for any forward when we are lacking possession, 

Perhaps worded it badly.  I think he looks like he is half a yard slower, his touch can be a bit off compared to usual and not as explosive at the minute.  Whether that is to do with the knee injury, or the injury subconsciously stopping him from fully opening up, I don't know.  But it is noticeable.  I'm not questioning his workrate or effort.   

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Perhaps worded it badly.  I think he looks like he is half a yard slower, his touch can be a bit off compared to usual and not as explosive at the minute.  Whether that is to do with the knee injury, or the injury subconsciously stopping him from fully opening up, I don't know.  But it is noticeable.  I'm not questioning his workrate or effort.   

Agreed, he’s still getting goals and working hard but doesn’t look as sharp as he can be. There’s a few chances he would’ve buried I think on top form as well as controlling the ball better as you say. Mad he’s still that good when possibly not 100% for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

7 goals this season without looking at his best. Scary how good he’s going to be for ya long term 

We’re not getting anything near his best either. Really needs to be sorted because his ability was completely wasted first half.