Newcastle United 0-0 Crystal Palace; post match frustration from p26

Yorkie

5 hours ago, GWN said:

Well , my take on the game is this .

We deserved to win , anyone who think not is mad. We did win, the FA/PL have an agenda against us , cunts .

Joelinton was tremendous , Willock needs to find his shooting boots .

Another one of those games we should have comfortably won but for bad finishing and a cunt in a box somewhere . 

It's not an agenda against us. The PL is selling a package to the entire world,  The game is way beyond our little island. 

Just look  at the experts in the studios, all ex players from the same clubs. It is those clubs that drive the brand. Sure you'll get an ex-Bournemouth player show up for their defeat against City, but that's because the usual suspects know fuck all about Bournemouth.

The PL et al have worked their arses off to build this structure that suits them all, and they're not about to upset it for anybody.

33 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The transfer window was a success, but we are short in midfield and out wide.

That's more due to the shortcomings of the squad, than the business we did. It will take time to address all of our shortcomings.

January is coming! 

1 hour ago, worthy said:

I think most people are fearing that the actual elite level players will want to fuck off if the project doesn't speed up when there is room to move it forward several steps due to the league being crazy.

Now if it will happen or not no one knows but the Ashley shit times and the normality of losing the only good players still has its hold.

Most people?? Absolutely not. 

A few, maybe. 

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

Jan will be even harder to sign players. I think we've squandered a massive chance to move forward quickly. We'll have to wait till next summer now to see a real impact. It's blatant the PL are doing their best to clip our wings on and off the pitch, the only way we can fight back is by being so much better than we are now, leaving no doubt of the win. Any fine margin games we're not winning, they'll see to it.

How about we wait until the summer to judge this seasons transfers.  Rather than looking at the unpredictable injuries and saying we should have bought better back-ups in those positions. A season long hindsight must be better.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Regardless of the injuries debacle, we should have won yesterday. And could/should have held out at Anfield. 

We look very well organised, have a system that works (even if two or three of the cogs in it could do with replacing) are difficult to beat and have a new centre forward who looks the real deal and will get better (not least with better service/having others around him which the opposition will worry more about). We could/should be sitting 4th with 11 points, but great signs of what is come. 

If I were to guess, I believe we are so close to being a top six side, will miss out on so many near-miss additional points, that we’ll bemoan not going that extra mile to strengthen in CM and RW/RM this window. But fuck it, happy to settle in for a comfortable top half season and enjoy some of the exceptional performances our strongest 11 will be capable of. 

I think top 6 this season is achievable, but it can't be part of the plan as it requires other teams to underperform, which we have no control over. So I won't bemoan just missing out.

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

Jan will be even harder to sign players. I think we've squandered a massive chance to move forward quickly. We'll have to wait till next summer now to see a real impact. It's blatant the PL are doing their best to clip our wings on and off the pitch, the only way we can fight back is by being so much better than we are now, leaving no doubt of the win. Any fine margin games we're not winning, they'll see to it.

January will be a lot easier to sign Maddison.

Guest reefatoon
48 minutes ago, hakka said:

Shelvey, Bruno, ASM and Wilson injured at same time is pretty exceptional. Take 4 players of that importance and position from any club and they will look weaker. Palace have done some of the top teams in last year, it's not like they are push overs.

I suppose the other side of that is out of those 4 players, we know three of them have struggled injury wise for a little while now. Shelvey, ASM and Wilson haven’t got great records, so maybe we should have accepted more that these areas needed cover as they miss chunks of the season, leaving us weaker like yesterday. Saying that though, even with these players missing I still haven’t seen a game where we haven’t looked like we could have won it. Full credit to the weaker players coming in on that front.

I've got no real expectations this season, I just want to see progress.

We've had a transfer window where we've brought in four first teamers. We've  become a really difficult team to beat and barring a couple of rancid officiating calls we'd be 3+ points better off. 

Of course it's a shame that we didn't win yesterday, but we did just about enough to take the points. That's following a gruelling trip to Anfield and three key attacking players missing. The signs of progress are undoubtedly there.

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

Well, that's not how he rolls, and that won't and shouldn't change. He made his point very clearly and firmly without any shouting, and that's probably better than trying to put on an act.

I was so proud on Wednesday, to have him as our manager. Watching Klopp ranting like an idiot all game, that can't be setting the right example for young people. There's so much hypocrisy in professional football, with managers and players shouting about injustices that they would quite happily accept as part of the game from their own side. I'm very happy with Eddie's more measured response, and who's to say it won't pay dividends in the end.

I didn't mean a rant but visibly pissed off like Shearer was, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it

I couldn’t believe how inept the ref was throughout the game. Had my head in my heads throughout. 

My first game at St James since Howe took over and for me the most noticeable thing was the crowd was with the lads throughout. No negative vibes. Genuinely feels like a new dawn. 

5 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Our problem yesterday was if Shelvey, Bruno and Joelinton start for example you can then bring on Willock, Longstaff etc. As it was the same midfield 3 started and looked leggy second half and we didn’t have the options off the bench. Even if only Bruno was back yesterday we win that 

That said still had the chances to win and VAR fucked us. If any side is missing their 3 main attacking players it’s going to play a massive part. Hopefully get the lads back for West Ham/Bournemouth. 

Frustrating but perspective needed 

p.s had someone sat next to me in Gallowgate who complained about everything. Apparently Isak and Botman are now shite ??

If Longstaff and Willock are available to be brought on,we won’t be at the next level.

Worth the trip back from the states that one... :) typical! ha

Thought we looked jaded as expected. Do agree Anderson needs to come in for Willock.

Didn't think anyone particularly had a great game and we were blowing warm and cold most game. It was scrappy with little momentum. Just excited to see our west 11 when we can get them all out.

Still can't beat Newcastle for a full match day - what a fucking city. I'm hanging today mind.

Onwards and upwards!

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Worth the trip back from the states that one... :) typical! ha

Thought we looked jaded as expected. Do agree Anderson needs to come in for Willock.

Didn't think anyone particularly had a great game and we were blowing warm and cold most game. It was scrappy with little momentum. Just excited to see our west 11 when we can get them all out.

Still can't beat Newcastle for a full match day - what a fucking city. I'm hanging today mind.

Onwards and upwards!

My first game back in ages too mate (MUCH shorter trip though!) glad I’m not the only one time blame for lack of goals! Glad you had a great day/time anyway ?

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

My first game back in ages too mate (MUCH shorter trip though!) glad I’m not the only one time blame for lack of goals! Glad you had a great day/time anyway ?

Haha yeah, the lad next to me at St James was from Sydney. So we certainly get about, us Geordies.

You too mate. Honestly can't beat being Home. The city is one of a kind.

12 hours ago, HTT II said:

Our start to the season:

1 win in 6, but…

1 loss in 6

3 clean sheets

3 points off the top 4 as things stands, we drew 0-0 away from home with the club that currently occupy that spot

We went toe to toe with Man City at home, drawing, having went a goal down. We did the same away to LFC and could have won that game and should have drawn it, but VAR and the ref

VAR has fucked us over several times

We’ve been missing Wilson, ASM and Bruno for several games now, our 3 most important attacking players

Pope and Botman have settled in great and look top quality

Our record signing has already scored and could be sitting on 3 goals right now

We are unbeaten at home, which has now become a fortress

Worrying!

Great post. On top of that we’ve weathered a congested run of fixtures with serious lack of squad depth. One game a week now  for the next 5 bodes well.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Watched this back after the red mist evaporated and we were better than I remember. Still gutted we didn't pick up the win, even without Bruno and Maxi. 

Done and thought the same. Should've won regardless of the robbery and that's without our 3 best players against a decent enough Palace side. Bodes well for next week and Bournemouth (h). The commentators though when VAR was looking at the goal and disallowed it :lol: honestly am finding it mental that our fans knew there was nothing wrong with it, the Palace fans can see it, the Palace players, our players, the commentators and countless neutrals but those fucking twats who are paid to get these decisions correct are the only ones who couldn't. 

On field refs need to grow a pair also, I think. They have their own pairs of eyes and own brains to be able to look at the footage and say to the VAR 'actually mate, I don't think that's a foul/goal/red card'. Over the years since VAR has been introduced to the PL we've had refs hardly ever going to the screen to have a look, now they look at the screen for every decision even at times when the decision that has to be made is glaringly obvious and 999/1000 they overturn the original decision even though they're their own person and ref and can make their own judgement from the footage to stick with their own decision. The refs yesterday originally saw nothing wrong with the goal, nor did Mitchell or any single one of the Palace players. Fuck it all.