West Ham United P-P Newcastle United - 11/9/22 @ 2pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

We all know they would have

I would very happily boo God Save The Queen but wouldn't choose to boo a minute's silence. It's not exactly the same.

(Would prefer not to watch these for now, still trying to hate them for last week)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I would very happily boo God Save The Queen but wouldn't choose to boo a minute's silence. It's not exactly the same.

(Would prefer not to watch these for now, still trying to hate them for last week)

You can see why the PL didn’t want to take the risk then 🤷‍♂️

47 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

We all know they would have

Absolutely nowt wrong with booing the national anthem if that’s how you feel about it. I would.

Booing a dead person, regardless of all the horrendous stuff her and her family represent, is pretty different imo.

Keep it out of organised events like sport and let people mourn on their own time if that’s how they feel.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

No, it's called respect for the Monarchy, of which I have none.

I take it out of principal then you will be not taking the bank holiday given to you next Monday or subsequent day in Lou if you have to work on Monday and any extra pay associated with working the bank holiday 

Just now, nufcnick said:

I take it out of principal then you will be not taking the bank holiday given to you next Monday or subsequent day in Lou if you have to work on Monday and any extra pay associated with working the bank holiday 

ab6761610000e5ebe9200a6d8565766425c9a1e1

I’d have to seriously question anyone who respects this country right now. You can respect certain institutions and people but if you’re going off the current government and its general trajectory or the monarchy you’d have to be mental or have deep pockets

8 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

I'm working it and don't know if I'll get it in lieu. If I get a lieu day for the Tibetan day of the dead I'll take it.

If I work and I'm not supposed to ie if I ignore it and work when I'm not supposed to there's a good chance I'd be arrested and quite possibly end up inside due to the peculiarities of my job 

Edited by madras

Taking this to it's logical conclusion I shouldn't use cash because its got the queen's head on, I should leave the country because technically I'm her subject, I should work every Sunday (it's already in my working week) because of its religious connotations and I'm an atheist.....should I go on ?

The arguments I'm seeing all have a reoccurring theme.

That having no respect for the queen and monarchy is self-loathing, it's a lack of respect for your country, you shouldn't boo your national anthem.

Just completely missing the point that to people who have no respect for the monarchy, the national anthem, and that type of national identity, the idea of it having anything to do with yourself doesn't exist. There's no connection with it, it's alienating and plays no part in any national identity or pride.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, The Prophet said:

I don't have much respect for my country though. 

I view, or rather don't, the country in more abstract terms. Either way its hard to be proud of or not be proud of is it geographical or social ? Are we any different to say the  French just in a different geographical setting ? Have I not got more in common with a Mechanic in Toulouse than I have with Prince Charles ?

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The arguments I'm seeing all have a reoccurring theme.

That having no respect for the queen and monarchy is self-loathing, it's a lack of respect for your country, you shouldn't boo your national anthem.

Just completely missing the point that to people who have no respect for the monarchy, the national anthem, and that type of national identity, the idea of it having anything to do with yourself doesn't exist. There's no connection with it, it's alienating and plays no part in any national identity or pride.

Nationality is a construct and, for me at least, completely meaningless. It’s human nature to want to belong to something, but I’d much rather it be something that I’ve chosen for myself than the bit on a map that I just happened to be born in.