Loris Karius

NWMag

Thought he was ok, decent kicking, did better than Dubs in sweeping up and though rusty, Dubs was equally or more so, rusty when he came in.

I’d be happy to give him a few games and see how he goes.

9 hours ago, M1tche said:

Commanded his box? they put every set piece into the 6 yard box. He came off his line well for a few long balls, but in every other part of his game you can see why he's 3rd choice. 

You know they’ve been putting 5 and 6 past everyone recently doing the same thing and are the best team in the premier at corners?

I thought he looked poor, TBH. 

The defending was clown show stuff. But I thought he was shite for the 3rd and 4th goals (along with various outfield players). 

Was hoping to see a bit more. As until Pope is back. We are going to keep getting done in behind with Dubravka in nets. 

Harsh that Karius’ two games have been a cup final and this mauling. But not sure you can play him ahead of Dubravka based on that. 

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I thought he looked poor, TBH. 

The defending was clown show stuff. But I thought he was shite for the 3rd and 4th goals (along with various outfield players). 

Was hoping to see a bit more. As until Pope is back. We are going to keep getting done in behind with Dubravka in nets. 

Harsh that Karius’ two games have been a cup final and this mauling. But not sure you can play him ahead of Dubravka based on that. 

Not sure you can make a definitive decision based on that either, would like to see him start against Blackburn as I liked it when he came out those few times.

2 hours ago, Gawalls said:

You know they’ve been putting 5 and 6 past everyone recently doing the same thing and are the best team in the premier at corners?

Not sure how that makes any difference to what I said 

10 hours ago, Sufi said:

what goal has he let in that you would expect him to save? 

an own goal, deflection, tap in, etc

even the goal in the cup final last year wasn’t on him. Casemiro had an easy finish there. 

why are we judging this guy and still using the cliches from the CL final vs madrid.

he looked fine to me today and he looked fine when he played in the cup final for us. Maybe could do better with positioning. Maybe could hold a few more instead of the rebounds. 

can someone show me a goal we conceded that he can be solely blamed for? 

we played like shit 

I'd put him at fault for both Set Pieces tbh. 1st his reset time was very slow after the initial save. 2nd was shambolic for me, just flapped at it.

I have seen nothing of him, at any point of his career to think he's any good, and clearly most clubs think the same. As he's sat with us as 3rd choice, with no-one else wanting him.

1 minute ago, M1tche said:

Not sure how that makes any difference to what I said 

Because I’m from my opinion the fact that he did what the other teams are doing at the moment means I can’t see why he’s third choice personally. 

Too early days for me and give him an easier game, he’s had a cup final and playing one of the hardest (if not the hardest at this moment) games in the league.

Considering he’d played one game in a number of years before this game I don’t think you could argue too much with his performance. Decent enough without being outstanding.

Pretty sure if he had a run of games in the team he’d show he’s better than Dubravka.

First goal great reactionary save, tino botman couldn't get rid. 

Second goal squared across schar and Trippier went missing no fault on karius. 

Third goal sakas shot goes through botman and schar both fail to clear it or block it. Karius not to blame. 

Fourth goal massive deflection of mileys hand karius gets a mitt on it but cannot keep it out. I'd say a slight fault by the keeper. 

15 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Had some responsibility for the 4th, but I thought he looked ok all things considered.  Couple of times when he came off his line to clear was definitely good to see - it is what we’ve missed from a GK

That's why I'd give him another game, to see if he could do the sweeper role a bit more effectively than Dubravka. It's really crucial to how we play if we want to press high up the pitch.

I didn't see much fault in the goals, if anything I  thought he might have been slow down to the one Botman cleared off the line, but I've not seen a replay yet. Couldn't be arsed watching MOTD.

His reactions looked better than Dubravka’s as well as his sweeping but his ball playing skills aren’t as good. Where Dubs would knock it about with the defenders shifting the opposition about to break the press Karius was kicking it upfield mostly.

5 minutes ago, SAK said:

His reactions looked better than Dubravka’s as well as his sweeping but his ball playing skills aren’t as good. Where Dubs would knock it about with the defenders shifting the opposition about to break the press Karius was kicking it upfield mostly.

Maybes he was trying to make no mistakes as he ain't been between the sticks for a long time. Confidence will not be very high I hope he gets until the end of the season starting unless pope returns. 

Thought he could do better with the 1st, 2nd and 4th. He was certainly better at sweeping up but his shot stopping is not as good as Dubs.

They are two totally different keepers with totally different flaws though. That’s why they are 2nd and 3rd choice keepers.

The quicker Pope is back, the better.

Edited by Big Jow

• 3 weeks later...

Fair enough tbh, he's not gotten much of a chance here despite the GK issues we've had. Would've liked to see him over Dubs a bit more just to see if he's better at sweeping up, but appreciate Howe will have made that call based on seeing him in training every day. Shame really, would've loved him to have a redemption arc here 

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

Fair enough tbh, he's not gotten much of a chance here despite the GK issues we've had. Would've liked to see him over Dubs a bit more just to see if he's better at sweeping up, but appreciate Howe will have made that call based on seeing him in training every day. Shame really, would've loved him to have a redemption arc here 

He's done what's been asked, he's been handsomely paid, he's not going to progress here. Let him go. Hope he does well and it doesn't bite us in the arse in future. Surely our academy isn't so bad that we haven't got someone who could take his place 

Good luck to him. He was never really fully trusted here, maybe for good reason. He did a job for us, hope he gets to resurrect his career in Italy.

hopefully his time here will have helped him settle and improve his self-confidence.

we might be shite but the squad is great in terms of character and togtherness.

• 2 weeks later...

"I live in Milan, so let's say being close to Milan would be ideal for us."

"Newcastle is very inconvenient because there are no direct flights. Neither about Paris nor about Amsterdam."

Milan's one of the few major European cities you can get direct flights to. Clearly Ryanair's beneath her. :lol: