Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Not bollacks at all, he needs to be getting games not sitting on his arse most of the time

This is the first game he's not played? 

Hearts manager definitely went for experience tonight and tbh it was the right decision. Into the quarters after a tricky second half in poor conditions.

Just now, EdinburghKuol said:

This is the first game he's not played? 

Hearts manager definitely went for experience tonight and tbh it was the right decision. Into the quarters after a tricky second half in poor conditions.

No it’s not 

11 minutes ago, gdm said:

No it’s not 

You're right - I didn't realise he was on the bench for the Hearts Hibs derby. Straight into the matchday squad for Edinburgh derby after arriving was prob a good experience for him too. 

Edited by EdinburghKuol

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's had 2x45 minutes (inc 1 against Rangers) and 20 minutes in another game in 3 weeks. It's probably on par if not more than he'd been playing at home in Australia. I don't think that's shabby at all.

Hes's played 122 minutes in six games

8 minutes ago, Paullow said:

13 mins vs St Mirren

Ill vs Aberdeen

Unused sub vs Hibs

45 mins vs Livingston

45 mins vs Rangers (started the match)

21 mins vs Dundee Utd

Unused sub vs Hamilton

Just over 120 mins in 6 matches

120 minutes of top flight football in 20 days, you say?  (I notice you are not including injury time...tut tut.)

How much would he got for Newcastle United? Or even in the A-league... 

Are you sure this is evidence for your argument?

Anyway, it's a pity he didn't start the night - he was certainly close to starting after an impressive substitute experience a few days ago. 

Edited by EdinburghKuol

Btw, there was a chance that Kuol could have came in and started regularly for us. He definitely has the ability to be a high performer in the SPFL even as a teenager, but we've only lost one game in our last 13, so it's not so easy.

That's the challenge however. 

If he moved to a team further down the table then he'd be getting more minutes. But I really don't think that's what he needs. Training with boys like Craig Gordon, Robert Snodgrass, Stephen Kingsley etc... every day. That's what he needs. It's a good challenging level for him. 

Edited by EdinburghKuol

17 minutes ago, EdinburghKuol said:

120 minutes of top flight football in 20 days, you say?  (I notice you are not including injury time...tut tut.)

How much would he got for Newcastle United? Or even in the A-league... 

Are you sure this is evidence for your argument?

Anyway, it's a pity he didn't start the night - he was certainly close to starting after an impressive substitute experience a few days ago. 

Don’t even bother with them man. They’re talking absolute shit. :lol: 

He’s only 18 ffs. He wouldn’t be training with the first team here. He’d be with the U23s/reserves here, maybe playing 60 minutes on a cold night in Darlington in front of 100 people against other kids that are 18. 

Up north he’s getting plenty of time to adjust to the environment of being around the first team of a club that plays in front of thousands every week. Learning the routine. Traveling. Being around seasoned pros. Getting minutes in a pretty tough/physical league. He’s getting great experience. 

5 minutes ago, LV said:

Kuol’s been to a World Cup and played a big part. I do think he needs more regular minutes for his development.

Prior to joining Newcastle/Hearts he had played 21 professional matches....in his life. 

And nearly all of them were as a sub.

He's played over 120 minutes in the last few weeks. That's probably like 20% of his whole career. (I know these maths don't check out) ;D

Edited by EdinburghKuol

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Don’t even bother with them man. They’re talking absolute shit. :lol: 

He’s only 18 ffs. He wouldn’t be training with the first team here. He’d be with the U23s/reserves here, maybe playing 60 minutes on a cold night in Darlington in front of 100 people against other kids that are 18. 

Up north he’s getting plenty of time to adjust to the environment of being around the first team of a club that plays in front of thousands every week. Learning the routine. Traveling. Being around seasoned pros. Getting minutes in a pretty tough/physical league. He’s getting great experience. 

:tino:

Our own signings don't play straight away, regardless of how good they are, they're eased in and given time to develop. I'm sure that's exactly what Garang is doing. All I care about is his development, game time isn't the be-all-and-end-all at this stange.

The idea that an 18 old kid is going to travel to the other side of the world, settle in, understand everything he needs to do tactically, and get straight into the first team seems unrealistic anyway, we're talking about someone who has 34 appearances at any level.

A bit of patience costs nothing.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Quite bizarre that his only start came against Rangers as well. If he's generally going to be a bit part player, then, as a watching on observer you'd probably have preferred that to have been against a weaker side for more chance of an impact. Can't start against the likes of Dundee United and Hamilton, but straight into the XI against Rangers.

Anyway, it is still pretty early days, but if he wasn't considered an obvious starter, which I wasn't really expecting to be honest, then I'd have hoped for around 30 minutes in pretty much every game. Guess we'll see how the next 4 or so matches pan out, but if he is an unused sub in 2 of those and gets say 15 minutes here and there in the others, then it probably would have been more beneficial going to a Carlisle or somewhere.