Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

I've got no beef with Villa. Pretty much happy for them, tbf. 

Notwithstanding a little bit of, natural, jealousy I'm hopeful they can squeeze into that "top6" shite. Obviously I'm hoping we do too because the more those ESL cunts get stifled the better. 

Plus I'm old enough to remember Shaw, Withe, Morley et al winning a proper European Cup at a time when we could all celebrate it, a bit. 

I really enjoyed that last night, can’t be arsed with all the beef between clubs and stuff. Seeing clubs like us and them enjoy mental nights in the CL is good for football overall and shows that we can play with the big boys. It’s motivating, and credit to Villas fans becuase they made some serious noise last night. 

The format of the champions league means Villa will obviously get further than we did last season as among a few tough games they have some freebie points. I still have them in the same group as us, Spurs and Chelsea when it comes to the league though, The top 3 are way ahead then I expect to be competing for 4th-7th with them other three teams. We should have an advantage due to no Europe but we also have the smallest squad and our away form will be the difference between us challenging for 4th or being in a similar position we were last season.

2 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Duran looks like an exceptionally good finisher though, what’s the deal with this guy? Just an impact sub a la solskjaer or should he be starting games?

Watkins other wise he'd be starting 

Watkins obviously bags goals but he's fairly massive to Villa as an outlet - someone who follows instructions and is very handy in general play too. He was directly involved in 32 of their 76 league goals last year. 

Villa's defensive numbers this season will be interesting considering their schedule will have some impact at some point. They conceded 1 less than us last year and I'd say we were defensively abject for 2 months of the season.