Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

31 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I guess that's one good thing about Newcastle being far away from most in this country and both regional rivals currently not being in the same league. They do look a good run of fixtures, and annoyingly they have already played us, Liverpool, and Chelsea away and still doing well, but away to Wolves and Forest could be trickier than they sound, especially the former, mainly due to geographical reasons. Wolves did take 4 points off them last season, both under Emery, and those games will obviously mean more to the crowd. 

Wouldn't be a huge surprise though if they did win most of them as you say. If they did win 9 or 10 of their first 12 games then it would be pretty impressive. 

Our real local rivals are also not in the same league. Wolves isn't a derby match for us. However, it is the one upcoming fixture that concerns me, as it looks exactly the sort where more than often, we get nothing. If I was going to bet on points being dropped, it'd be that fixture. It's one of those 'local rivalries' where they get really really wound up about us, but we just shrug at them (like you and Boro).

The rest, though, looks a nice run.

Amazed we're doing so well. I think the first day disaster was a particular set of circumstances, and when Mings went off I think we collectively lost it (mentally).

We haven't really looked like getting really near our best so far this season, so to have taken 15 points and be fifth, given the toughness of our opening games, and given what happened on the first day, is remarkable.

Also worth noting - our entire left side in Moreno and Ramsey out injured since last season or the summer (till this last week in Ramsey's case), plus Mings (who is our 'leader' in many ways) and Buendia (a player Emery really clearly likes) almost certainly out for the season, that's a really, really tough bunch of players to have injured.

Edited by brummie

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

What in the name of quota filler is this game the only match on Sky today for?

:lol: Did y'all really pause your whole league because the NFL is in town?

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

What in the name of quota filler is this game the only match on Sky today for?

You'd often get this type of match on Sunday at 2pm, but you'd pretty much always have one of the bigger / better clubs, often against each other, or at least away to a fairly significant club at 4.30pm, so often a kind of get it out of the way to the main event, but it's grim when this is the main event [emoji38].

Sunday 4.30pm is definitely the best slot of the week for an armchair fan IMO, which does make it more annoying.

31 minutes ago, Paullow said:

You'd often get this type of match on Sunday at 2pm, but you'd pretty much always have one of the bigger / better clubs, often against each other, or at least away to a fairly significant club at 4.30pm, so often a kind of get it out of the way to the main event, but it's grim when this is the main event [emoji38].

Sunday 4.30pm is definitely the best slot of the week for an armchair fan IMO, which does make it more annoying.

The Ryder cup weekend you always get a filler match on Sunday.