Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Why can't the ref have the option of having another look at it? Why can't the ref say "I think it's a pen but I'm coming over for another look to check" then he either gives it or corrects himself. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

Why can't the ref have the option of having another look at it? Why can't the ref say "I think it's a pen but I'm coming over for another look to check" then he either gives it or corrects himself. 

Because that would be fair? Because people would moan its taking too long? Because it might affect 'The Product'? Take your pick!

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They can't win at this point like. If the ref gives it or doesn't, VAR not intervening is what everyone wants. Still whinging. 

I guess the issue is that by the time you've spent a minute reviewing the footage you want the right decision to be made irrespective of what the on field call was. 

In this instance wouldn't take much for the VAR to just go "bit soft this one, they've got hold of each other and Haaland pulls him to get in front in the first place. Go and have a quick look to see if you want to stick to your decision or not". 

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

I guess the issue is that by the time you've spent a minute reviewing the footage you want the right decision to be made irrespective of what the on field call was. 

In this instance wouldn't take much for the VAR to just go "bit soft this one, they've got hold of each other and Haaland pulls him to get in front in the first place. Go and have a quick look to see if you want to stick to your decision or not". 

"Right" will always be subjective in the context of football rules. Seems a simple fact that goes over many heads