Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

49 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Norway have some fantastic names in that squad. Is the manager shite or are they just not gelling?

In my opinion the manager is not very good, and really overrated. It was they guy that failed pretty hard at Wolves. He did well with Copenhagen ages ago, but has never reached the same heights after that. Some people are under the impression that it's the players who are not good enough, or are saying that we have been unlucky, but I disagree. For example one qualifier when we needed a win against Netherlands in the last game, he set us up to park the bus for 80 min to try to get the winner in the last 10 min. Obviously it failed miserably, as they were prepared for that.. I think we had 1 chance the entire game, and Netherland was happy to just keep the ball all game when we invited them to do so. Under this manager we haven't won a single game against strong opposition. The best being Sweden and Serbia. Just coward tactics whenever we face someone above us in the rankings, and then he tries to paint a picture that we're constanly improving, but also constanly unlucky in the media. The Steve Bruce wheel of excuses. Last qualifier was our worst start to a qualifier in over 20 years (imagine all the shit teams we've had during that time), so it was over for us after like 3 games. It's a shame if we throw away a golden generation just because we ignore the fact that Solbakken hasn't done anything in like 10 years.

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Norway have some fantastic names in that squad. Is the manager shite or are they just not gelling?

It's arguably the best squad we've ever had. However, it's an unbalanced squad in that the attacking players are of quite higher quality than the defenders, which makes it even weirder that the bald freak set us up to invite pressure on the part of the team that is the worst. 

Yep, I think this might be the worst Sunday of TV football that I've ever seen, like ever. In most International breaks there would be some matches on Sunday, and Viaplay Xtra would have had a game or two, but that free channel has been scrapped with them soon to exit the UK market.

I'm actually going to watch Sunderland vs Durham in the women's 2nd tier.

image.thumb.png.0ab533dfe42066c8c80c301cf197f417.png

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Shortstaff & Insigne win for Toronto against Atlanta.

Doing alright so far, won 3 out of 5 games. They only won 4 games last season.

Also don’t forget that John Herdman, their manager is a Newcastle fan from Consett.

19 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Doing alright so far, won 3 out of 5 games. They only won 4 games last season.

Also don’t forget that John Herdman, their manager is a Newcastle fan from Consett.

Was that the Canadian manager from last World Cup?

Not sure whether it would be more appropriate in the NUFC Women thread, or here, obviously not directly NUFC related, but may affect them next year, and is women's football, but Sunderland still 0-0 with Durham in their match after 30 mins. Charlton, Palace, and now Birmingham are all winning, Sputhampton losing though.

Crazy table 'as it stands'

image.thumb.png.d1e2f2d34d638e788d0d1d641733158b.png

Edit - Sunderland have just taken the lead as I was posting, so they lead 1-0, and would go back to top of the league. Possibly against the run of play, although I haven't fully been watching it.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What an astronomically shit day today is for football fans [emoji38]

I suspect it's been done on purpose so people are inclined to increase the viewing figures for the womens football and rugby on this afternoon

I won't be watching but can see why it's being done

2-0 Sunderland Women now, so that's pretty much over and won't watch the rest. 

image.thumb.png.5ae1b4d07c11b002f025dc3a874ccee6.png

Still can't believe how close it is, they only play 22 matches, and plenty of '6 pointers' coming up. I'm not actively wanting them to lose, like I would with the men's team, but I do hope that they don't go up, as it would at least be a couple of big occasions next season, even if they would be the favourites. Newcastle vs Sunderland at SJP would be class.

I'd like Durham to stay up as that would be another local derby, and 4 of the 22 league matches.

It finished 5-3 to Sunderland. Quite entertaining tbh. Durham got it back to 3-3, and hit the post at 4-3, but were never ahead. Palace and Birmingham both won, but Southampton and Charlton both lost - the latter were a goal up after 89 mins, but conceded twice to London.

7 hours ago, frankpingel said:

Isak and Krafth both starting for Sweden v Albania. Available on viaplay2 for those interested.

Isak played the whole game. :neutral: Muscle injury before 60' on Saturday incoming.

On 22/03/2024 at 13:55, timeEd32 said:

Paid far too much money to take my son to see Messi and Argentina tonight. Messi is now injured. It's going to be cold. I have many regrets.

When I flew to Barca to see Messi he got stretchered off in the 7th minute. 

Georgia battled bravely to get it to pens in their qualifier final against Greece. Been down to 10 men for over an hour 👍

Edit - Actually substitute goalkeeper sent off so was still 11 v 11

Georgia won 4-2 on pens and qualify for Euro2024 instead of Greece 👍

Edited by Pokerprince2004