Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

7 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I’m exactly the same. Used to root for all British sides (except Arsenal) but it flipped. I will forever remember a Villa v Barça tie some time in the 80s where the Barça players just completely lost the plot and started kicking everyone. I didn’t like Barça from that moment on.

I’m not sure when it changed but I suspect it was with the advent of the Premier League and the influx of money. Might have been the Champions League? 

I grew up watching football from about 94 onwards (in a serious way anyway) and I've always rooted against all other English teams in Europe. Can remember genuinely punching the air with delight when Iniesta got that late goal against Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Donut said:

Just seen the Atalanta goals. Kelleher has to do better on both the first and the third. Levels below Alisson.

Still creasing at his save where the ball just beans him in the face :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Still creasing at his save where the ball just beans him in the face :lol: 

Mcmanaman kept going on about what a great save it was. 

If it was anyone else except a Liverpool keeper they'd have been calling him lucky

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Mcmanaman kept going on about what a great save it was. 

If it was anyone else except a Liverpool keeper they'd have been calling him lucky

8mkc41.gif

9 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I’m exactly the same. Used to root for all British sides (except Arsenal) but it flipped. I will forever remember a Villa v Barça tie some time in the 80s where the Barça players just completely lost the plot and started kicking everyone. I didn’t like Barça from that moment on.

I was at that match, it was the 1982 European Super Cup (which we won, those were the days)  final, the home leg.

Gordon Cowans scored a penalty and one of the Barca players literally followed up on him and kicked him in the air and into the net. Genuinely the sort of thing that these days would get you a massive ban and probably a criminal investigation. It's on youtube, worth a look just to see how fucking insane it is.

People get all starry eyed about tikky takky football purist Barcelona but forget they were fucking animals for decades.

re the original point, I used to support all English sides in Europe too. Tony Parks in that 1984 (?) UEFA Cup final for Spurs, Forest in their European Cup finals, I always wanted the English team to win.

It's totally the opposite now though - except, topically, for right now with this 5th place / coefficient thing going on which has forced me to want horrible things to happen.

2 hours ago, Donut said:

Just seen the Atalanta goals. Kelleher has to do better on both the first and the third. Levels below Alisson.

One game.

Been performing at a very high level for Liverpool since Alisson has been out.

He's going to get a move to play as a number 1.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

One game.

Been performing at a very high level for Liverpool since Alisson has been out.

He's going to get a move to play as a number 1.

He also made a couple of outstanding stops due to how quick he was off his line.

Filled in really well as their number 2. Especially when you consider he’s coming in in place of possibly the best keeper in world football. The drop off hasn’t been too bad. 

Compare and contrast with what we’ve had. 

4 hours ago, 54 said:

So the relegation battle in the German 2nd Division is suitably mental:

821accac152b4e128f0aa69ed55dee11.png

Blimey, what's happened to Schalke? Don't really follow German football but I've always had a soft spot for them, they've got the tunnel decked out like a mine shaft haven't they? 

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Blimey, what's happened to Schalke? Don't really follow German football but I've always had a soft spot for them, they've got the tunnel decked out like a mine shaft haven't they? 

In short, they've been ran horribly.

If they fo down, there's a real chance they could go out of existence.

4 hours ago, brummie said:

I was at that match, it was the 1982 European Super Cup (which we won, those were the days)  final, the home leg.

Gordon Cowans scored a penalty and one of the Barca players literally followed up on him and kicked him in the air and into the net. Genuinely the sort of thing that these days would get you a massive ban and probably a criminal investigation. It's on youtube, worth a look just to see how fucking insane it is.

People get all starry eyed about tikky takky football purist Barcelona but forget they were fucking animals for decades.

re the original point, I used to support all English sides in Europe too. Tony Parks in that 1984 (?) UEFA Cup final for Spurs, Forest in their European Cup finals, I always wanted the English team to win.

It's totally the opposite now though - except, topically, for right now with this 5th place / coefficient thing going on which has forced me to want horrible things to happen.

When do you think it changed for you? I can’t remember for me but wondered if it was the advent of the PL or the CL.

5 hours ago, 54 said:

Well in the Pilgrims :D Huge result for Plymouth that, absolutely class.

Just finished watching the replay 1 minute ago. Nice job Pilgrims. Foxes had lots of chances first half.