Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

4 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Without Man City the league would still be unbalanced, and Arsenal et al want it that way. These clubs tried to destroy the league with big picture, remember they wanted a veto on the takeovers for the rest of the league.

Man City acting as a black hole that sucks trophies away from them is the lords work as far as I’m concerned. 

Yea but they’re sucking the trophies from clubs like us as well. 

2 minutes ago, ATB said:

I´m feeling dirty to say this, but feel Villa and/or Spurs are in for a collapse. So go Arsenal... :buck2:

Going to look at this result as a win win, dropped points for Arsenal would be hilarious and dropped points for Villa mean if we can go on an insane run then maybe just maybe we can catch them

I never want Man City to win the league tbh, but this season I don't think anyone really deserves it and Arsenal, their manager, and snivelling bitch fans would be insufferable, so don't mind it this season. 

20 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

City are a despicable club. I actually feel for Wenger. He was building something and City came along and took Nasri, Toure, Clichy and Adebayor in one foul swoop. Totally unbalanced the league and now it’s one behemoth club guaranteed to get top four. Chelsea were easier to stomach because they at least earned top four 02-03. 

The clubs Wenger took those players from were building something until he steamed in.

But in 02/03 despite being next in line, the next most regular CL qualifier and having a bigger ground than Arsenal there was no hope of passing either them or Man United. It was a closed shop that only Chelsea through Abramovic's money and City through their money prised open.  Liverpool might never have gotten a look in had the dominance of Man United/Arsenal not been watered down by new competitors.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

The clubs Wenger took those players from were building something until he steamed in.

But in 02/03 despite being next in line, the next most regular CL qualifier and having a bigger ground than Arsenal there was no hope of passing either them or Man United. It was a closed shop that only Chelsea through Abramovic's money and City through their money prised open.  Liverpool might never have gotten a look in had the dominance of Man United/Arsenal not been watered down by new competitors.

This is absolute bollocks. 

5 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Yea but they’re sucking the trophies from clubs like us as well. 

If Man City weren’t there our situation wouldn’t change much. Maybe if the rules allowed us to compete then Man City would annoy me more. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Signed Sol Campbell from their bitter rival in acrimonious circumstances, participated in the ripping up of the Ajax 95 team.

Wenger was fine with spending a ton of money when it was only Man United that spent more.

5 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

This is absolute bollocks. 

Which bit. We were going to overhaul Man United or Arsenal who weren't sharing the league between them every season? or the bit where Wenger/Arsenal didn't grow these players out of test-tubes but took them from other clubs with less money?

Edited by Wolfcastle

13 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Remember Diego Carlos turning down Eddie's mags

Was that what happened? I thought we didn’t go for him in the end. Must be misremembering as it’s very vague in my head 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Was that what happened? I thought we didn’t go for him in the end. Must be misremembering as it’s very vague in my head 

Can't remember just remember us being heavily linked but he went to Villa

Maybe we just went for Botman instead

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Remember Diego Carlos turning down Eddie's mags

Dont think he turned us down. Sevilla kept changing the fee time after time. 

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Signed Sol Campbell from their bitter rival in acrimonious circumstances, participated in the ripping up of the Ajax 95 team.

Wenger was fine with spending a ton of money when it was only Man United that spent more.

Signed a player on a free transfer. Give me a break. I think every team in Europe participated in ripping up the 95 Ajax team. 

Wenger got Toure from Beveren in Belgium, Clichy was academy iirc and Adebayor was 3 mil from Monaco. They spent reasonably. I remember when Jose Antonio Reyes was considered a massive signing for them. 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Can't remember just remember us being heavily linked but he went to Villa

Maybe we just went for Botman instead

We went him in our first transfer window, but Sevilla were in with a shot of the title  and priced us out.

We didn't go back for him the following summer.

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Which bit. We were going to overhaul Man United or Arsenal who weren't sharing the league between them every season? or the bit where Wenger/Arsenal didn't grow these players out of test-tubes but took them from other clubs with less money?

Every club signs players. They just did it smart like getting Henry from Juve, Vieira from Milan, Pires from Metz. Pires for 6.5 in 2000. 

Edited by Astroblack

14 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Eh?  Liverpool, Leeds and Chelsea all spent more than arsenal during that period.

We were also spending a decent amount at this time on crap.

Shows how people will spout opinions as facts.

Screenshot_20240414_174335_Chrome.jpg

Edited by El Prontonise

That first Wenger league winners was that most expensive squad at that time.  But the second and especially the 3rd were not. The undefeated team might not have been most expensive 3 or 4 in the league iirc. That don’t happen again until Leicester.