Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Dirty Spanish cheating rats got what they deserved - karma. Should have never been a pen. He made contact with the bottom of his boot with a tap. His leg came down, flat on the ground then he suddenly dived onto the ground holding his leg. Well deserved result. 

Gold Cup has been absolutely shit standard. America and Mexico come with B teams, what are they saving them for? MLS has been far better tonight. The u21 was the best football on today. 

Edited by Astroblack

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

Gold Cup has been absolutely shit standard. America and Mexico come with B teams, what are they saving them for? MLS has been far better tonight. The u21 was the best football on today. 

They had the Nations League finals just before tbf. Euro-based players deserved a rest.

8 hours ago, Deuce said:

They had the Nations League finals just before tbf. Euro-based players deserved a rest.

I don’t understand. Isn’t the Gold Cup the equivalent of a European cup trophy? It used to be the passage way to the Confederations Cup that Mexico or the US used to be in every four years. What’s a Nations League? Who even won that? Spain/Holland had Rodri, Laporte, Ake playing in the Nations League final four days after their Champions League final. Find it crazy Alphonso Davies, Jonathan Davis, Lozano, Corona, and the exciting American team coming up don’t want to win a major honor like the Gold Cup. 

I signed up to Viaplay Sports before the Nations League a few weeks ago just to keep my football fix going at the time, plus a few Euro qualifiers on there as well. I noticed that they had picked up the Gold Cup rights so was vaguely interested until I saw the USA and Canada's team, don't really know many Mexico players anyway, but seemingly they have gone weak too, and I've not watched a match. 

Jamaica looked to have picked as strong as they can and a lot of familiar English football names involved:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica_national_football_team#Players

Bell who was playing in the playoffs for Luton vs Sunderland, Pinnock of Brentford, Decordova-Reid, Antonio, Bailey of Villa, Demarai Gray, and many other lesser known UK based players as well. 12 of their players were born in Jamaica, the other 11 in England.

I need to make sure to cancel it in the coming days, as don't want to pay another £15 for no reason.

Edited by Paullow

21 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

I don’t understand. Isn’t the Gold Cup the equivalent of a European cup trophy? It used to be the passage way to the Confederations Cup that Mexico or the US used to be in every four years. What’s a Nations League? Who even won that? Spain/Holland had Rodri, Laporte, Ake playing in the Nations League final four days after their Champions League final. Find it crazy Alphonso Davies, Jonathan Davis, Lozano, Corona, and the exciting American team coming up don’t want to win a major honor like the Gold Cup. 

Gold Cup is the equivalent of the Euros as the chief international cup competition in the confederation. Nations League mirrors the Euro version of the same: gives smaller countries a shot at qualifying for the GC/Euros, respectively.

This is supposed to be the last year in which the GC and Nations League will be held on the same summer, so you will see more A teams in both competitions going forward. If the GC had been held before the Nations League, you probably would have seen the A teams in the GC instead.

Unless you’re one of the CONCACAF minnows, Gold Cup isn’t exactly a major triumph…no Confed Cup to play for either. I wish they’d scrap it in favor of merging with the Copa America. Could still have the Nations League to feed smaller teams into the CA.

edit: and that’s exactly what they’re doing next year, in fact. 2023-24 Nations League will determine CONCACAF’s entrants to the joint 2024 Copa America.

Edited by Deuce

Aye, it’s only the Jamaicans who have taken in seriously. Mexico are missing Lozano, Corona, Jimenez, that Ajax lad. The America side that we faced in the World Cup with Pulisic and co are no where to be seen. Even Costa Rica don’t have Navas in goal. Really, really disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Unless you’re one of the CONCACAF minnows, Gold Cup isn’t exactly a major triumph. I wish they’d scrap it in favor of merging with the Copa America. Could still have the Nations League to feed smaller teams into the CA.

Do agree that that the completion should be merged with Copa America. There’s usually like 14 actual South American teams in the Copa America and they have to invite a couple other countries from elsewhere to fill up the bracket like Japan or Qatar. Would be much better with the likes of America, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica who can actually compete. 

• 2 weeks later...