Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

9 hours ago, leffe186 said:

It’s painfully apparent. Rodriguez flatters to deceive I think. That American/Canadian/Nigerian kid whose name escapes me is very direct, but without him they seem toothless.

The time it took to type that you could've googled the cunt's name 😂😂

Looking forward to the North London derby today. I thought Spurs were at home for some reason, which would have probably been better for the neutral, but it should be an interesting game with Spurs starting better than many anticipated.

It probably is the best derby in the country in terms of obvious rival and things at stake. Arsenal have had the better of the most recent fixtures, but over the past 20 matches and 9 years they have both won 7 times with 6 draws.

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Crap fixtures yesterday. Today, however, I don't think there's one of those game I wouldn't watch

Which is surprising as I'd argue our game is probably the least watchable, and yet gets the premier showing (Guessing that's due to North London Police wanting an earlier time for the north london derby?) :lol:

40 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Looking forward to the North London derby today. I thought Spurs were at home for some reason, which would have probably been better for the neutral, but it should be an interesting game with Spurs starting better than many anticipated.

It probably is the best derby in the country in terms of obvious rival and things at stake. Arsenal have had the better of the most recent fixtures, but over the past 20 matches and 9 years they have both won 7 times with 6 draws.

If the country is the UK then naah, Celtic-Rangers. In terms of deep-seated local intertwined enmity in England - maybe. Birmingham-Villa is pretty nasty but Villa have so often been literally in a different league. Bristol Rovers-City used to be a bit tasty IIRC, but again, at a lower level. Everton-Liverpool never seemed to have quite the same edge. Newcastle-Sunderland has the edge but the communities are less intertwined and they’re often at different levels. Likewise Millwall-Chelsea. Feel like I’m forgetting someone. Sheffield derby is fun. Feels like the South Yorkshire Police don’t know who to beat up, unlike when anybody else came to town.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

If the country is the UK then naah, Celtic-Rangers. In terms of deep-seated local intertwined enmity in England - maybe. Birmingham-Villa is pretty nasty but Villa have so often been literally in a different league. Bristol Rovers-City used to be a bit tasty IIRC, but again, at a lower level. Everton-Liverpool never seemed to have quite the same edge. Newcastle-Sunderland has the edge but the communities are less intertwined and they’re often at different levels. Likewise Millwall-Chelsea. Feel like I’m forgetting someone. Sheffield derby is fun. Feels like the South Yorkshire Police don’t know who to beat up, unlike when anybody else came to town.

Millwall - West Ham would probably end up with people in A&E I'd imagine, Portsmouth - Southampton has a bit of needle too. 

You're missing the obvious one, Crystal Palace vs Brighton, huge derby that one.

For the record, I’d forgotten how much the NLD day sucks when you’re down here. At least when it’s in South London, sorry, at the Emirates (somebody mention sportswashing?) we’ve got no expectations. As Darren Bent et al say, a combined XI would be all Arsenal players so we’ve got no chance.

It’s just pain until it’s over. Of course, under Ange we’ll go for it…which will make things so much worse in a practical sense because (a) it will be incredibly stressful and open and (b) Arsenal will probably do what they just did to the open and going for it PSV Eindhoven.

Genuinely hate this. But I also know that he hasn’t even managed 10 competitive or uncompetitive games for us yet. If we manage to get something it will be absolutely blindingly hilarious. Arteta has had, what, eight transfer windows and an absolute ton of money to make this squad and team. Ange has had one transfer window. I would bite all your appendages off for a draw.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

I was in the middle of writing a huge paragraph, but my laptop is almost done and as soon as the charger is removed it automatically goes off, and annoyingly, I accidentally knocked it. I had hoped that my passage might have been saved if on my phone, but not to be. Not typing it all out again [emoji38], but yeah, was meaning England.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

I got punched in the mouth by one of South Yorkshire’s finest back in the day when we were both in the old second division. Tried to get his badge number, but apparently they used to swap them around on match says. 

3 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

The North London Derby was amazing when Adebayour and Sol Campbell crossed enemy lines. Proper spicy back then. [emoji38]

Doubt we’ll ever see anything like that again.

I’ve never considered the North London derby spicy. [emoji38] definitely think it’s one of the better ones in terms of quality, usually guarantees goals at either end and they’re generally cracking games. 

but in terms of hatred/spicyness I wouldn’t put it up there with us and Sunderland, midlands derby etc. just a load of tories in the crowd chanting “Arsen-aww” or “come on you spurssss” with the occasional wanker sign chucked in. 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I’ve never considered the North London derby spicy. [emoji38] definitely think it’s one of the better ones in terms of quality, usually guarantees goals at either end and they’re generally cracking games. 

but in terms of hatred/spicyness I wouldn’t put it up there with us and Sunderland, midlands derby etc. just a load of tories in the crowd chanting “Arsen-aww” or “come on you spurssss” with the occasional wanker sign chucked in. 

Campbell was labeled “Judas” and got death threats, hatred to this day. It’s obviously fizzled since then, but there was nastiness from both sets of supporters.

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Campbell was labeled “Judas” and got death threats, hatred to this day. It’s obviously fizzled since then, but there was nastiness from both sets of supporters.

None of them carried out the death threats though so they’re all talk imo. 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

9 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I mean, I grew up with it here, from the late 70s. Choosing my words carefully…I think you’re wrong. For a lot of reasons - but firstly, it’s very much not just about what happens in the ground, and even on the day. 

We all live together, intermingled, from day one. My school was 35% Spurs, 35% Arsenal, 25% glory-hunting cunts (Liverpool) and 5% other. At the time probably more Spurs but over time it probably changed. I don’t know where you grew up but if it was in or around Newcastle I’m guessing it wasn’t quite the same.

That leads to two things. One, we each have a little bit more understanding of the other. We basically live the same lives, families are mixed etc. But also two - it’s every fucking day. At school, at work, at play etc etc. Familiarity truly does breed contempt.

When I was a kid it was truly, truly nasty - in the ground, around the ground, everywhere. We’ve all seen a lot of people priced out of the game since Hillsborough…but we’re all still here. Just not necessarily sitting in a plastic seat singing “Guantanamera”.

It’s nasty and spicy. And the closer we are in standard the nastier and spicier it will get. You just might not see it on the Sky cameras.

Looking forward to this game, easily the most entertaining derby, the games tend to always be really good, especially from a neutral point of view*

Despite the good start from Spurs I can't look past an Arsenal win, at home their record against Spurs is excellent 

*watch it be a 0-0 borefest after I've said this