Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

How do you think ETH goes with squad 2 leg Vs Barcelona the Thursday before?

I haven't a clue to be honest. :lol: horrific schedule of games. The league games are all games we should be winning as well. I'm not taking top 4 for granted at all and with all the cup games we could very easily burn out and slip in the league so I hope he manages it well.

Everyone is talking like us and yourselves have 4th sewn up which I find mental whenever Spurs are only 3 points behind and Liverpool can go within 7 if they win their game in hand. Liverpool also have Diaz, Jota and Firmino to return. 

I'd love to win silverware but I don't care if he rotates in cups and we lose as long as he goes full strength in the league. Getting back into the CL is by far the most important goal. 

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Everyone is talking like us and yourselves have 4th sewn up which I find mental whenever Spurs are only 3 points behind and Liverpool can go within 7 if they win their game in hand. Liverpool also have Diaz, Jota and Firmino to return. 

I agree. There's so far to go still and makes me nervous when people start throwing us in as "favourites for top 4" 

A slight dip in form and you could find yourself 6th or 7th very quickly. 

Injuries will be crucial for our thin squad.

We definitely need Man United to get a positive result in the first leg of that game in Barcelona , having said that you would have thought they would prioritise a league cup final over the second leg of the Europa League .

15 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I haven't a clue to be honest. :lol: horrific schedule of games. The league games are all games we should be winning as well. I'm not taking top 4 for granted at all and with all the cup games we could very easily burn out and slip in the league so I hope he manages it well.

I'd love to win silverware but I don't care if he rotates in cups and we lose as long as he goes full strength in the league. Getting back into the CL is by far the most important goal. 

Yeah I keep seeing phrases like we're "on the cusp" or "in reaching distance" of the CL. We've made a fantastic start but there's still 18 games to go.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, Flip said:

I might be wrong or you lot might disagree, but they’re such a classic club. Really deserves to be playing in the PL.

I know where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure.  Historically, they’re a lower league side on average - that they had the brief period of unimaginable success is down to the genius of Clough and Taylor.  

On the basis of the two Semi finals so far, I think we lose to Man Utd. As much as it pains me to say it. They will take the chances we have Southampton and unless we become much more clinical ourselves I think we may get edged out. 

3 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

On the basis of the two Semi finals so far, I think we lose to Man Utd. As much as it pains me to say it. They will take the chances we have Southampton and unless we become much more clinical ourselves I think we may get edged out. 

I'll be surprised if we put in another performance like we did last night.

4 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

It's a one off game. Anything can happen. Even Soton knocked out City. 

11 minutes ago, 1964 said:

We want extra time second leg surely?

Hadn't a clue what you were on about there. Thought you meant we want extra time in our second leg and I was thinking WTF (especially with Rodney agreeing with you) :lol:, but just clicked that you were meaning the Europa tie.

6 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

They match up to us quite well as they have quite alot of pace and counter well. 

Rashford is just in scary form at the moment and Trippier always looks like he struggles a little against Pace, plus as poor as Antony has been, he did give Burn a hard time in the league game aswell. 

However on the flip side, we have alot of strengths ourselves and we will give them a hell of a game I reckon, as long as we play to our level. 

We wouldn't be able to push Trippier forward as much as we like, but with Isak and ASM looking like they are coming into form, we have our own weapons to hurt them. 

Feeling nervous already and we haven't even got to the final yet 😬 Not sure I'll be able to handle the final if we get there. 

Edited by alexf

7 minutes ago, alexf said:

They match up to us quite well as they have quite alot of pace and counter well. 

Rashford is just in scary form at the moment and Trippier always looks like he struggles a little against Pace, plus as poor as Antony has been, he did give Burn a hard time in the league game aswell. 

However on the flip side, we have alot of strengths ourselves and we will give them a hell of a game I reckon, as long as we play to our level. 

We wouldn't be able to push Trippier forward as much as we like, but with Isak and ASM looking like they are coming into form, we have our own weapons to hurt them. 

Feeling nervous already and we haven't even got to the final yet 😬 Not sure I'll be able to handle the final if we get there. 

Exactly what I was saying to my mate. I’m not sure I’m mentally prepared for a final. Like, when Argentina won the World Cup, a bit of me felt like if that’s the stress and emotion you have to go through I’m not sure I want it 🤣. The scars of the 90s are still there. It’s really kind of easier to not care or ever get close…football eh

Just now, AJ9 said:

Exactly what I was saying to my mate. I’m not sure I’m mentally prepared for a final. Like, when Argentina won the World Cup, a bit of me felt like if that’s the stress and emotion you have to go through I’m not sure I want it 🤣. The scars of the 90s are still there. It’s really kind of easier to not care or ever get close…football eh

I remember so much about our loss to Man U in the FA cup final in 99. Sat in the front room with loads of sweets, full kit on.

Felt so much less confident than I did for the Arsenal final the year before.

5 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I remember so much about our loss to Man U in the FA cup final in 99. Sat in the front room with loads of sweets, full kit on.

Felt so much less confident than I did for the Arsenal final the year before.

I remember it too. Absolute floods of tears. Crushing few years as a young Newcastle fan 🤣

37 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

We would not have conceded any of those goals today for a start and Forest should have been on the scoresheet at least once. 

In a wierd way I'm glad I cant get a ticket for the final should we get there. I am still haunted by being stuck in traffic on the M4 surrounded by piss taking man u fans after the Cardiff match. Don't think I could stomach another round of that shite again.

14 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

In a wierd way I'm glad I cant get a ticket for the final should we get there. I am still haunted by being stuck in traffic on the M4 surrounded by piss taking man u fans after the Cardiff match. Don't think I could stomach another round of that shite again.

The one high point, we'd drove to and stayed in Gloucester then got the the train in and out of Cardiff. Drove back to Wetherby for beer and food, rang a friend whod been at the match and he was still in the coach park in Cardiff waiting to get out.

Edited by madras