Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

I still like Football Focus and I don't see it as being necessarily any worse than it was before (though Dan Walker is a miss to the BBC just generally), its audience is simply decreasing due to the changes in the way people consume football content now. Fewer and fewer people will sit through a feature about a player they're not automatically interested in, followed by a MotD-style post-feature analysis in the studio with Dion Dublin and Fara Williams.

Magazine shows like that have a massive challenge staying relevant today, when social media provides the means to see exactly what you want to see, and quickly. Or, if you're seeing something you're not interested in, you just scroll on instantly. 

Doesn't surprise me that the Mail would frame it in the way they have, like. Gotta stoke that division. 

10 minutes ago, Menace said:

Couldn't even tell you last time I watched FF/motd. Highlights on YouTube a few hours later is the one for me. Shearer/motd pundits are generally quite shite imo.

Main reason to watch MOTD is the extra length of the highlights vs those on youtube, really. Maybe a bit of nostalgia and the rapport/affability of Lineker/Shearer/Wright as presenters helps a little too. 

I usually watch it back on iPlayer and fast forward through the analysis, it's superficial at least 75% of the time. 

6 hours ago, Orphanage said:

I miss the days of Des Lynam , Terry Vegetables  Alan Hansen , John Motson and God help me i even miss Jimmy Hill 

I miss the start of grandstand, especially that bit when the ball hits the camera? 

The problem is, which nobody really wants to talk about is the whole diversity thing, some people think that it's gone too far in terms of over representation and just think 'im not watching that shit', whether you agree or disagree it's a fact and you can't change people or force them to watch something. I remember one actress during the whole woke movement saying 'if you don't watch this movie your a racist misogynist' which made me laugh because your taking away the element of choice whether to want to watch it or not. 

You can argue why do we get the lasses so heavily involved with men's football but when it comes to the women's world cup there's nee gadgies to give their opinions? 

Some of the lasses analysis is spot on, some dreadful, but then again we've had to hear some utter shit from the gadgies for years. 

I chose not to watch it a long time ago, because a few reasons. I'm not overly keen on the BBC and I believe they have went too political in their approach instead of getting the right people in front of the camera (the ones who the main major audience can relate to and enjoy their opinions) 

I can relate to Alex Scott more than I can relate to cunts like Cundy and O'Hara, but I enjoyed Dan walker and des lynam more if I dare to say so. 

But the major thing for me is the quality, it's just not up to standard. That might be because of all the networks muscling in on the action, the era most of us enjoyed the BBC was football, nee cunt else until sky. 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

6 hours ago, Orphanage said:

I miss the days of Des Lynam , Terry Vegetables  Alan Hansen , John Motson and God help me i even miss Jimmy Hill 

Jimmy hill really fucked me off during that Chelsea tie in 1995/96. Ferdinand got a last minute equaliser at Stamford bridge. Jimmy spent the whole time wanking over Chelsea calling them a 'musical side'. Wasn't nufcs greatest performance but it wasn't a great match and there was nowt special on show despite the Chelsea love in. I dunno if they expected perfection from us because we were running away with the league but Chelsea's wages were exorbitant even then to coax gullet and the sexy football men to a club that had won less than nufc at the time. In 2023, still no signs that the medias love in with Chelsea will ever die. 

4 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I miss the start of grandstand, especially that bit when the ball hits the camera? 

The problem is, which nobody really wants to talk about is the whole diversity thing, some people think that it's gone too far in terms of over representation and just think 'im not watching that shit', whether you agree or disagree it's a fact and you can't change people or force them to watch something. I remember one actress during the whole woke movement saying 'if you don't watch this movie your a racist misogynist' which made me laugh because your taking away the element of choice whether to want to watch it or not. 

You can argue why do we get the lasses so heavily involved with men's football but when it comes to the women's world cup there's nee gadgies to give their opinions? 

Some of the lasses analysis is spot on, some dreadful, but then again we've had to hear some utter shit from the gadgies for years. 

I chose not to watch it a long time ago, because a few reasons. I'm not overly keen on the BBC and I believe they have went too political in their approach instead of getting the right people in front of the camera (the ones who the main major audience can relate to and enjoy their opinions) 

I can relate to Alex Scott more than I can relate to cunts like Cundy and O'Hara, but I enjoyed Dan walker and des lynam more if I dare to say so. 

But the major thing for me is the quality, it's just not up to standard. That might be because of all the networks muscling in on the action, the era most of us enjoyed the BBC was football, nee cunt else until sky. 

Dunno mate. The way we watch and follow football - and all media - has changed so massively over the last 5 years (let alone the last 20) that to pin this on racism and misogyny seems misguided. The tweet says that the BBC does that, but the article he references states the BBC actually says the fall in viewership is in line with general trends in viewing. The Mail implies it, and that guy just makes it up, unless he has info from somewhere else.

Which is part of the problem. You remember an actress saying this. Which actress and which movie? Did you watch it? Are you a racist misogynist? It’s all fluff. This “whole woke movement”. Do you mean the Civil Rights movement? Or #metoo? Or legalising homosexuality? Or BLM?

Sure, some people will have turned off because a woman - a black woman at that - is presenting Football Focus. I’m guessing that number is massively dwarfed by the people who’ve turned off because they’re not actually watching BBC at that time. They’re going to one of those new-fangled early kick-offs, or streaming games at home, or watching one of the millions of channels with some kind of football on, or listening to one of the millions of podcasts, or writing nonsense like me on one of the hundreds of fan sites.

I happened to be in a rental car last Saturday (we haven’t bought one yet) and put the radio on to hear the end of the games and suddenly the Sports Report theme came on. I genuinely had a little tear in my eye. Hadn’t heard that for probably 20 years. We’d usually hear it on a transistor radio clutched to my Dad’s ear walking back from the game. There’s every chance that - even though I’m back in the UK - I won’t hear it again for years too.

Things have changed.

Edited by leffe186

4 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Dunno mate. The way we watch and follow football - and all media - has changed so massively over the last 5 years (let alone the last 20) that to pin this on racism and misogyny seems misguided. The tweet says that the BBC does that, but the article he references states the BBC actually says the fall in viewership is in line with general trends in viewing. The Mail implies it, and that guy just makes it up, unless he has info from somewhere else.

Which is part of the problem. You remember an actress saying this. Which actress and which movie? Did you watch it? Are you a racist misogynist? It’s all fluff. This “whole woke movement”. Do you mean the Civil Rights movement? Or #metoo? Or legalising homosexuality? Or BLM?

Sure, some people will have turned off because a woman - a black woman at that - is presenting Football Focus. I’m guessing that number is massively dwarfed by the people who’ve turned off because they’re not actually watching BBC at that time. They’re going to one of those new-fangled early kick-offs, or streaming games at home, or watching one of the millions of channels with some kind of football on, or listening to one of the millions of podcasts, or writing nonsense like me on one of the hundreds of fan sites.

I happened to be in a rental car last Saturday (we haven’t bought one yet) and put the radio on to hear the end of the games and suddenly the Sports Report theme came on. I genuinely had a little tear in my eye. Hadn’t heard that for probably 20 years. We’d usually hear it on a transistor radio clutched to my Dad’s ear walking back from the game. There’s every chance that - even though I’m back in the UK - I won’t hear it again for years too.

Things have changed.

Not sure, I think it was Viola Davis, the woman king. I didn't fancy it, so I didn't watch it. Nowt to do with misogyny or racism, I just didnt fancy it, a bit like when I see people watch friends, I think nah don't fancy it, but there's 3 women in it, that so maybe that's misogyny I don't know, fuck knows, but that's the element of choice whatever the reason. 

You know what I mean by the woke movement, it was the whole thing that kicked off a few year ago, whether people support it or not it's had a huge impact on the media as a whole. 

I agree that it's the latter point you make about the quality of it which has made most people turn off but I don't think the other reason is because Alex Scott is presenting, because she's good, I think it's when the women on the programme start to dominate something that is/was? 99% male audience, blokes are going to switch off. 

2 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Not sure, I think it was Viola Davis, the woman king. I didn't fancy it, so I didn't watch it. Nowt to do with misogyny or racism, I just didnt fancy it, a bit like when I see people watch friends, I think nah don't fancy it, but there's 3 women in it, that so maybe that's misogyny I don't know, fuck knows, but that's the element of choice whatever the reason. 

You know what I mean by the woke movement, it was the whole thing that kicked off a few year ago, whether people support it or not it's had a huge impact on the media as a whole. 

I agree that it's the latter point you make about the quality of it which has made most people turn off but I don't think the other reason is because Alex Scott is presenting, because she's good, I think it's when the women on the programme start to dominate something that is/was? 99% male audience, blokes are going to switch off. 

Oh right, had no idea, wondered if it was Brie Larson because she’s said some nonsense.

I couldn’t find anything about Viola Davis saying that. I did find a couple of things about people wanting to boycott Woman King because of perceived historical inaccuracies and the way it addresses slavery. Very different. I also hadn’t heard of any of this before you brought it up. So…honestly it feels like a straw man. Of course you can either watch or film or not watch a film, whatever. Why do you think people will think you’re a misogynist or racist if you don’t?

But this is irrelevant. The point is that you are saying that the problem is “the whole diversity thing”, which “nobody really wants to talk about”. “The woke movement” really could mean a fucking ton of different things, which is precisely the point of people using it to foment anger and resentment. In this case it sounds like you just mean having women presenters in football shows, which I guess has only been a thing for a few years. Sure, like I said, I’m sure there are some misogynists who just turn off because it’s a woman. But as I also said - and so did the BBC - the main thing is that people just watch/follow football differently.

I think it’s perfectly fine to have women presenters. This guy who tweeted pretending women are the reason for the demise of Football Focus clearly doesn’t. The Mail gets to rail against diversity and the BBC at the same time - killing two birds with one stone. That’s all.

1 hour ago, KDT said:

What's the reason for no 4.30pm game next Sunday?

I was wondering that as well when Dave Jones mentioned on Sky yesterday. Thought there might have been a big sporting event on or something, but the only thing I can think of is it's the first weekend of the WSL season and they might want as many eyes on that, which isn't great for the average viewer because 4.30pm is usually considered the plumb spot and most big (non derby matches) will be on at that time. Chelsea vs Tottenham women starts at 5.30pm on SS Main Event.

37 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I was wondering that as well when Dave Jones mentioned on Sky yesterday. Thought there might have been a big sporting event on or something, but the only thing I can think of is it's the first weekend of the WSL season and they might want as many eyes on that, which isn't great for the average viewer because 4.30pm is usually considered the plumb spot and most big (non derby matches) will be on at that time. Chelsea vs Tottenham women starts at 5.30pm on SS Main Event.

I would say Ryder Cup but Europe will have probably lost by Saturday

35 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

I would say Ryder Cup but Europe will have probably lost by Saturday

Yeah, that will likely be it, I guess somewhat combined with the WSL. I know very little about golf, but just saw that the outright odds were very close and almost 50/50, so Sky will at least hope that it goes down to the wire. Forest vs Brentford at 2pm isn't exactly a ratings winner for masses, and they'll save their quota of the 'big 6', Newcastle, Villa, and a lesser extent Everton, when there's less sporting alternatives.