Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

12 hours ago, gbandit said:

Aye, definitely sounds like a good plan to alienate millions of viewers by destroying their most popular show, can’t see it backfiring at all

It's not their most popular BBC show, not by a long way.  It only pulls in an average of 2.5 million viewers per week and the numbers are falling due to the competition from Sky, BT, Amazon and a further raft of 6 or 7 interested broadcasters coming into play.  Despite the low viewing figures it still costs the BBC over £70 million per year in fees to the Premier League, just for highlights.  The cost to viewer ratio is a very poor return for the BBC and I'm sure that is being closely monitored and considered in the current fracture caused by Lineker.  The BBC have bought the rights until the 2024 season and the rights beyond this date are soon to be auctioned.  I can't see the BBC being very interested in an even more expensive renewal now.  I think Lineker has just signed the death warrant of MOTD and, as a football fan, that seriously wouldn't bother me.

I'm watching Bournemouth v Liverpool at 12.30 on BT sport, followed by England v France Six Nations at 16:45. I'll be "sported out" by then so stuff MOTD. I think they should put an effigy of Jimmy Hill in Lineker's seat on MOTD and I'd watch it then. Imagine the mackem fewm?

Edited by dorty

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Fatboy's got previous tbf when he played Greta Thumberg's speech in one of his songs so it's not a one off for him

All of them, have they walked out because they agree with Lineker?  Or because they disagree with the Beeb or because of what twitter/Facebook might say if they went to work?

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think he's trying to suggest people are pretending to care about certain issues, to be seen as doing something, on social media, for likes or whatever. It's what people who are indifferent to certain issues say about people who arent to discredit the wider point. 

Was angling more from most of them are indifferent but once one or two started to pull out the rest maybe felt they had to for fear of social media.

1 hour ago, CM1961 said:

Those 28% figures are from the BBC.  The offical figures, as recorded by the Home Office, can be found here

--> https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022/factsheet-small-boat-crossings-since-july-2022

For what it's worth, Albanians make up 42% of current asylum seekers.

Thanks for that, thought I was right

4 hours ago, CM1961 said:

It's not their most popular BBC show, not by a long way.  It only pulls in an average of 2.5 million viewers per week and the numbers are falling due to the competition from Sky, BT, Amazon and a further raft of 6 or 7 interested broadcasters coming into play.  Despite the low viewing figures it still costs the BBC over £70 million per year in fees to the Premier League, just for highlights.  The cost to viewer ratio is a very poor return for the BBC and I'm sure that is being closely monitored and considered in the current fracture caused by Lineker.  The BBC have bought the rights until the 2024 season and the rights beyond this date are soon to be auctioned.  I can't see the BBC being very interested in an even more expensive renewal now.  I think Lineker has just signed the death warrant of MOTD and, as a football fan, that seriously wouldn't bother me.

Once Sky Sports started uploading match highlights within hours of the games finishing I thought MOTD's days were numbered. People interested in tactical analysis are probably watching dedicated YouTube/TikTok channels too, not the kind of generic stuff you get from Shearer and co. I'd be interested in seeing a demographic breakdown. Ironically I'd assume most MOTD viewers are older (i.e. the kind most likely to hate Lineker :lol: )

4 minutes ago, buzz said:

Once Sky Sports started uploading match highlights within hours of the games finishing I thought MOTD's days were numbered. People interested in tactical analysis are probably watching dedicated YouTube/TikTok channels too, not the kind of generic stuff you get from Shearer and co. I'd be interested in seeing a demographic breakdown. Ironically I'd assume most MOTD viewers are older (i.e. the kind most likely to hate Lineker :lol: )

Yep we are and do on both accounts, will be interesting as you say to see the breakdown

17 minutes ago, buzz said:

The analysis (if you can call it that) from the MOTD pundits is pretty worthless.  They try their best to add some value to the game you've just watched, but it's all fluff and trivia.  Lineker adds absolutely nothing to the experience ... he's purely a link man asking scripted questions.  R.I.P. Match Of The Day.  Can't say I will miss you.

32 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Yes, you're very much Right.

You say that as if it's a bad thing, some sort of slur ?  He's allowed to have any politic view he wants.  After all, you're defending Lineker to have his own choice aren't you ?

He’s just calling out someone’s political stance. He hasn’t in that post indicated whether it’s good or bad. However, if you think that refusing some of the most desperate people in the world a place to seek asylum, and housing them in detention centres that are inhumane for months on end, then it’s absolutely fair to call someone out as having shit politics. It’s totally fine to hold those views, but they’re allowed to be challenged and rubbished