Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

8 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

You try to explaining that to a gang of little Geordie radgies playing 7 a side with a caser ball on waste ground with jumpers for goalposts in Thatchers Britain

Rush keeper - the kid in goal can play outfield and it’s agreed he won’t get paggered for doing it by either his own team or the opposition 

Fog man back - anyone can be keeper, but only the 1st defender to reach the goalmouth can handle the ball without getting paggered by the opposition 

Any other interpretations are sheer lunacy 

Thatchers bloody Britain. Fog man back and rush keeper were the same thing as far back as Heath's Britain

1 hour ago, Exiled in Texas said:

Being pedantic…

goalies are not restricted from playing out /up field. They are just the only ones permitted to use their hands which is why their shirt is a different color. But they can go anywhere on the field they want.

So by definition then rush-goalies has to be first-man-back. Else it’s just the keeper playing up/back

[/pedant]

That's why I so confidently stated rush in the first place. There was a Wiki article I found https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_goalie that seems to infer its unsurprisingly usually to even up teams with uneven numbers up but I still don't understand what extra rule it's actually implementing considering a 'keeper can venture upfield if they really wanted to anyway.

Granted I'm a southerner here so I'm fighting a losing battle if no one up north deemed rush goalies the same as me. :lol:

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Thatchers bloody Britain. Fog man back and rush keeper were the same thing as far back as Heath's Britain

Possibly so, but I was conceived in '77 and wasn't playing footy on the streets in the Heath years

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 hours ago, Exiled in Texas said:

And as a schoolboy in the early 80s…. The name “rush goalies” always confused me as Ian Rush never played goalie

Same for me, just assumed it was associated with him like keepers can come out and do a Rush.

On 08/02/2024 at 22:08, McCormick said:

I’m assuming everyone had the rule of “nee blasties” in the D, yeah?

Nee blasties was more when you didn’t have something closeish behind the goal to stop the ball for us. 

11 minutes ago, Disco said:

Nee blasties was more when you didn’t have something closeish behind the goal to stop the ball for us. 

Did toe punting count as Blasties?

7 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Did toe punting count as Blasties?

Toe punts with penny floaters man ffs, pound shop Roberto Carlos incoming.

Got to say, as we weren’t allowed to play with a proper ball, I absolutely fucking loved playing on the yard with a tenniser when I was youngun. 

15 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Toe punts with penny floaters man ffs, pound shop Roberto Carlos incoming.

My mate popped many a penny floater with his Puma G Vilas, something about them used to pop them for fun.

On 08/02/2024 at 09:03, loki679 said:

Rush goalies was when the keeper could play outfield too.  There was another one for anyone in the box could be keeper, can't remember what it was called.  Spot goalies maybe?

'Any man save' for us.

(vs stick, rush, or fog man back)

On 08/02/2024 at 14:00, TheBrownBottle said:

They were both the same.  A goalie can play outfield normally.

One rule we did sometimes play is that any ‘fog man back’ or ‘rush goalie’ wasn’t  allowed to cross halfway in normal play.  So effectively a few players could be ‘it’ if they’re back first, but those players had to stay in their own half 

Rush and fog man were not the same, not for us anyway.

As others said Rush is an assigned keeper that can come out. Yes, that's what any keeper can do in pros - but 'rush' was significant because as a kid you could also have 'stick' keepers, where the keeper was not allowed to come out. E.g. against a group of older lads that dominate the game you might want them to have stick, because a rush keeper would help dominate their attack.

Edited by Superior Acuña

Rush = assigned keeper who can come out the area (often played)

Stick = assigned keeper who can’t come the area (often played)
Spot = deepest player only can use their hands (rarely played)

Rush keeper only usually used if it was uneven teams but often with the additional rule you’d have to score from close to the goal and not just punts upfield. 

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Rush = assigned keeper who can come out the area (often played)

Stick = assigned keeper who can’t come the area (often played)
Spot = deepest player only can use their hands (rarely played)

Reckon we did Stick, Rush or Any Man Save a lot. We did Fog Man Back occasionally but preferred Any Man Save since it's just simpler than determining who is furthest back in a crowded box - no VAR lines necessary.

Nee blasties could either be because the ball would go far away, but also cos it was a reluctant keeper.   

5 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Reckon we did Stick, Rush or Any Man Save a lot. We did Fog Man Back occasionally but preferred Any Man Save since it's just simpler than determining who is furthest back in a crowded box - no VAR lines necessary.

Nee blasties could either be because the ball would go far away, but also cos it was a reluctant keeper.   

Deepest was interchangeable every attack but I’m wondering if we also hybrid versioned it so first player to use their hands meant no one else could?

Nee blasties was definitely a time thing for us. 

Next up headers and vols, followed by whatever variant of spot, bums you played :lol:

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Got to say, as we weren’t allowed to play with a proper ball, I absolutely fucking loved playing on the yard with a tenniser when I was youngun. 

Aye, in playtime we'd have to play with a size three borderline windshifter "incase someone got hurt". One kid from Colombia came in year two. He was exceptionally good. Knew he'd become a footballer and he did! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ángelo_Balanta

We had a one on one once. Absolutely destroyed me. Can just remember being on the floor and him rounding the keeper :lol: 

14 hours ago, madras said:

This. 

Saltwell park 1970

Heath. Not that any of us had heard of the cunt

34 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agree with his point on the voting - think it was 9 of the 20 clubs who voted for FFP aren’t even in the PL now.

Aye.  Why do Luton get to vote and the likes of Leeds, Leicester and the mackems don't?

Even outside of this you could make a point that as previous winners, Blackburn and Leicester get a vote regardless of where they currently are in the league.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

Aye.  Why do Luton get to vote and the likes of Leeds, Leicester and the mackems don't?

Even outside of this you could make a point that as previous winners, Blackburn and Leicester get a vote regardless of where they currently are in the league.

West Brom

Swansea

Norwich

Southampton

QPR

Sunderland

Reading

Wigan

Stoke

All these clubs got a say on it. Nice we’re living with the ramifications of Wigan and Reading’s choices, clubs who have had 39 points deducted between them since FFP came in.