Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

22 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Who do people think the best villain has been in the premier league era?

I don’t mean truly awful individuals but those who absolutely play up to the role (or try to).

Klopp thinks he is being a clever antagonist but he is in reality just a poor human being.

for me it’s 100% Jose as a manager and probably Vinny Jones as a player

El Haj Diouf rolled around in the hatred for him like a pig in shit. I think he's by far the player who played up to it the most.

23 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Who do people think the best villain has been in the premier league era?

I don’t mean truly awful individuals but those who absolutely play up to the role (or try to).

Klopp thinks he is being a clever antagonist but he is in reality just a poor human being.

for me it’s 100% Jose as a manager and probably Vinny Jones as a player

Catts for me like.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Good news for football. Though probably increases our urgency to get a pacey centre half…

https://x.com/footballtalkhq/status/1769804880229671076?s=61

It's yet another naive adage to improve the game that at best won't change anything except where the hair-width line is drawn and at worse will bring about fresh hell that they won't have considered.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Feel like I'm in the twilight zone with this shit. I wish there was real hope of it just being binned off altogether. 

Have argued why I think that particular change would be totally stupid more than once before so I won't bore everyone with it again.

But I'd love to know what actual linesmen would make of such a change - I doubt it's easier to identify slithers of daylight as opposed to body parts being ahead of other body parts. Tbh I can see linos getting stood down at some point down the line. They'll still be there as pitch side officials, checking for other infringements and the ball being out of play, but they won't have the duty of offsides. 

I remember Marco van Basten going on about having no offsides a few years back - but he would say that, he was a centre forward :)

(alongside the Brazilian Ronaldo the best centre forward I’ve seen in my lifetime - the man had everything - but it was a forward’s take nonetheless)

All it does is change the measurement from one side of the attacker to the other side.

It will only be a positive change for team with pacey players who can play more attacking football, you know which teams I’m on about.

Yay for change!

It's never going to be perfect. Would prefer if they just kept the rule as it is. It's the time it takes to reach a conclusion that is the main issue.

45 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's never going to be perfect. Would prefer if they just kept the rule as it is. It's the time it takes to reach a conclusion that is the main issue.

That’s the point of this new rule. It will take a second or two when VAR check. That and too many great goals getting disallowed when attacker and defender are stood in line with each other.

Edited by LFEE

Just fucking leave it alone man. 

Who watched Man Utd v Liverpool on Sunday and thought, you know what, we need to change this. We dont. The game itself is one of the only saving graces when it comes to football, almost everything else surrounding it has been ruined. 

Aye, but we also don't want to see shite offsides because someone's armpit might be seen as in front of the last defender. Even without VAR it's rubbish.

Was so much better before it, when it wasn't necessarily the law but everyone seemed to have the, "there's clear daylight" interpretation and it was mainly accepted.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, but we also don't want to see shite offsides because someone's armpit might be seen as in front of the last defender. Even without VAR it's rubbish.

Was so much better before it, when it wasn't necessarily the law but everyone seemed to have the, "there's clear daylight" interpretation and it was mainly accepted.

As long as you have an offside rule you'll need to draw a line somewhere. Whether it's armpit or heel, you still draw a line.

And that implementation of the rule favours the attacker way too much. It will make coaches abandon offside traps and create a more defensive game.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

That’s the point of this new rule. It will take a second or two when VAR check. That and too many great goals getting disallowed when attacker and defender are stood in line with each other.

I think that's wishful thinking like. The pedantic line for offside just moves, that's all. Meanwhile, have you thought about the repurcussions of this? eg defences no longer ever playing a high line?

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think that's wishful thinking like. The pedantic line for offside just moves, that's all. Meanwhile, have you thought about the repurcussions of this? eg defences no longer ever playing a high line?

Not at all. It will be able to decide easily. Rather than trying to work out which body part is intersecting and if it’s a goal scorning body part. The amount of goals disallowed when 2 players are essentially stood beside each other is ridiculous and was never the intention of the offside rule in the first place (to stop goal hanging).

I also think forcing both teams to defend a little deeper will stop the better teams will create more space in midfield and allow the weaker teams not to be suffocated and park the bus as they can have their forwards pushed to the defence line to spring any offside trap. The fact you thought I’ve not thought about the repercussions when I’m old enough to remember when this new law was the actual original law and know it worked better for the overall game than anything that’s come after it I hope puts that to bed. You’ll still have some teams playing a high line if it suits their players but the level of jeopardy of them doing so is greater on them.

I’ll guarantee you’ll get more goals scored. 

I genuinely don't see what this changes except the fundamentals of defending.

How will it be any quicker to determine? Lines will still be drawn and will sometimes be extremely close requiring the long stoppages we're now used to.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’ll guarantee you’ll get more goals scored. 

Do we actually need this though? This season in the PL is the highest scoring since 1964.

There hasn't been any discourse about low scoring/overly defensive play for a while, even after the World Cup which had plenty of good games. The best teams play on the front foot at the minute. We're not in an era of Italian teams deploying catenaccio to bore everyone to death or Rafas Valencia winning the league with a top scorer or 7 goals.

You're always going to get the odd turgid 0-0 but that's part of the game. With players playing more football and the increase in added time, I don't think we actually need more goals. 

It’s not going to stop people grumbling about offsides. It just moves the line that people grumble about. Make the decision process faster and the technology more accurate (and measure it from the foot).