Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

The Italian defence of Zambrotta -Cannavaro-Nesta-Maldini is an incredible lineup with Buffon behind them.

Serie A was a great league in the 90s and 2000s

Edited by joeyt

14 hours ago, JUICE690 said:

Were those fences (minus the electrfied wire) common in football grounds in the 80's? It was a bit before my time. Find it impossible to believe nobody foresaw how fucking dangerous they would be.

The only surprising thing about Hillsborough was that it took so long to happen. 

Anyone who went to matches in the 80s and stood will tell you about situations where they were basically in a cage with far too many people in it, unable to feel the floor and unable to move anywhere. 

I remember a match at Upton Park in which we were crammed into way too small a space and I genuinely thought someone would die. It was that bad. I saw it on YouTube a while back and I felt sick watching it. 

Chelsea’s chairman back then wanted to put electric fences up. Google Stamford Bridge in the 80s and a photo of that place alone will tell you all you need to know about how football fans were treated. 

Although ironically I just read that the pricing for our home match against Chelsea this weekend had the cheapest adult seats at £58.50 - for a match played at eight o’ fucking clock on a Saturday night, so although we’re not treated like animals who risk our lives going to games any more, they’ve introduced a different kind of contempt - economic - instead. 

23 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That Tory cunt MP who was chairman at Luton was desperate to turn his on.  Those things killed 97 people at Hillsborough - scary to imagine how that day could have been worse, but I reckon electrified fences would be one way it could have been. 

Think the Luton bloke tried to bring in ID cards for fans too. Knee jerk reactions after a bad night when Millwall fans stormed their pitch and smashed half of Kenilworth Road up, mid 80s. 

6 hours ago, brummie said:

The only surprising thing about Hillsborough was that it took so long to happen. 

Anyone who went to matches in the 80s and stood will tell you about situations where they were basically in a cage with far too many people in it, unable to feel the floor and unable to move anywhere. 

I remember a match at Upton Park in which we were crammed into way too small a space and I genuinely thought someone would die. It was that bad. I saw it on YouTube a while back and I felt sick watching it. 

Chelsea’s chairman back then wanted to put electric fences up. Google Stamford Bridge in the 80s and a photo of that place alone will tell you all you need to know about how football fans were treated. 

Although ironically I just read that the pricing for our home match against Chelsea this weekend had the cheapest adult seats at £58.50 - for a match played at eight o’ fucking clock on a Saturday night, so although we’re not treated like animals who risk our lives going to games any more, they’ve introduced a different kind of contempt - economic - instead. 

My uncle tells a very similar story about us at White Hart Lane just before Hillsborough, said it was the most scared he's ever been inside a football ground and to this day he's amazed nobody was killed. Fucking mental that we created these situations and the solution seems pretty simple. My dad reckons the fences were the main issue.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

My uncle tells a very similar story about us at White Hart Lane just before Hillsborough, said it was the most scared he's ever been inside a football ground and to this day he's amazed nobody was killed. Fucking mental that we created these situations and the solution seems pretty simple. My dad reckons the fences were the main issue.

I was there and yeah, it was crazy. The main thing that stopped it being a Hillsborough-type event was that there was a spare, empty pen in the corner of the ground where NUFC fans were allowed to jump into when it became clear that there was a crush happening.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

I was there and yeah, it was crazy. The main thing that stopped it being a Hillsborough-type event was that there was a spare, empty pen in the corner of the ground where NUFC fans were allowed to jump into when it became clear that there was a crush happening.

Brutal. Could have been horrendous.

13 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Brutal. Could have been horrendous.

I still have flashbacks to that day. Most scared I've been at a match. I was using all my strength to prevent myself being crushed.

2 minutes ago, JLC said:

I still have flashbacks to that day. Most scared I've been at a match. I was using all my strength to prevent myself being crushed.

Did the game just carry on as normal?

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Did the game just carry on as normal?

Yep, from what I can recall the game carried on but there was a lot of police activity, disturbance. Horrendous trouble outside after the game. Grim times.

On 24/04/2024 at 19:09, JUICE690 said:

Were those fences (minus the electrfied wire) common in football grounds in the 80's? It was a bit before my time. Find it impossible to believe nobody foresaw how fucking dangerous they would be.

Oh we foresaw it all right. I’m sure most fans at the time had a story to tell about how it could have been them. IIRC you guys had issues at a Spurs match, we had bad experiences at QPR and (I think) Southampton. Hillsborough was known to be a potential problem. We knew.

15 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Saying that, surely Haaland should be on it. :lol:

Edit: it's 7 years old.

Would like to see an update, that’s a fascinating table.

Shearer's consistency was off the charts, never thought it would be matched until Kane and Haaland came along.

Would be interesting to see how many either Kane or Haaland would have got playing against some of the knackers in the 90's or the many elite centre backs we seemed to have in the PL in the early to mid 00's.

I reckon someone like a prime Chris Samba would be playing Champions League these days rather than fucking about with the likes of Blackburn.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

35 minutes ago, duo said:

I don't get brands clambering to throw money at Grealish - he's a decent player but far from a global star.

The girls love him