Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Just now, madras said:

Just found at that in La Liga, if two teams finish level on points then it's decided on aggregate scores in their head to head games (away goals not counting double) before goal difference. That makes more sense to me.

I'd just been looking at how Bilbao were doing and wondered why Osasuna were above them.

No it doesn’t. What happens if more than 1 team are level on points and the results are all mixed?

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Just found at that in La Liga, if two teams finish level on points then it's decided on aggregate scores in their head to head games (away goals not counting double) before goal difference. That makes more sense to me.

I'd just been looking at how Bilbao were doing and wondered why Osasuna were above them.

I think goal difference is better. If you're thumping teams consistently and finish 20 goals better off, I think you should finish higher. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think goal difference is better. If you're thumping teams consistently and finish 20 goals better off, I think you should finish higher. 

But should you finish lower than a team you've beat during the season ? You could finish below but on the same points as a team youve beat home and away, that's not better.

Edited by madras

3 minutes ago, madras said:

But should you finish lower than a team you've beat during the season ? You could finish below but on the same points as a team youve beat home and away, that's not better.

Yes, for me. Cups are what head-to-heads are for. The league should be what you do against the other 19 teams. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yes, for me. Cups are what head-to-heads are for. The league should be what you do against the other 19 teams. 

I get your point but don't like it. Seems silly you could finish below a team and on level points and maybe by 1 goal to a team you've walloped home and away 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I get your point but don't like it. Seems silly you could finish below a team and on level points and maybe by 1 goal to a team you've walloped home and away 

If Liverpool had beaten Villa and Southampton the last two games and we had the better goal difference by 5, I'd have been foaming if we'd had to drop out of the CL for that. 

1 minute ago, madras said:

I for one would have loved to have finished with a better goal difference of 7 or so more than Liverpool this season, but missed out on Champions League football because the referee fucked us in one of their games against us in the event that we finished level on points with them.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If Liverpool had beaten Villa and Southampton the last two games and we had the better goal difference by 5, I'd have been foaming if we'd had to drop out of the CL for that. 

You wouldn't have if they were the rules. You'd have been more foaming had we finished level on points with Spurs but if they had a better GD.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

You wouldn't have if they were the rules. You'd have been more foaming had we finished level on points with Spurs but if they had a better GD.

Nah not at all. If we were level on goal difference and goals scored, using the head to head to decide it is fine but you could get a scenario where someone finishes +20 and another -2 and the team who have taken some thrashings finishes higher. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Nah not at all. If we were level on goal difference and goals scored, using the head to head to decide it is fine but you could get a scenario where someone finishes +20 and another -2 and the team who have taken some thrashings finishes higher. 

Yeah and to decide between those two head to head seems a more natural way of doing it to me.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If my Auntie was my Uncle ............

He seemed to be able to steer clear of his usual clichés of fan pressure/demands that he's always like to reach for.

I guess when the team is actually performing well, as a pundit you don't need to keep dwelling on the points you used to use so much as to why it was in disarray.

Did he effectively say Liverpool aren't getting Bellingham because they're not one of the 'very biggest clubs' at the end, too? :iamatwat: