Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Yeah it's not 1995 anymore, lads. 

If you compared the running stats vs now then they'd be night and day. Really think the authorities need to look at this now with the amount of injuries across lots of clubs and players clearly never getting a break.

They seem reluctant to cut down the games, in fact the opposite is happening, so other measures that would help should be looked at. Like increasing the max size of a squad, relaxation of the loan rules etc. Just increasing the amount of games until enough players break to act is not good enough. 

12 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Especially when he's backed the stuff surrounding the negative cumulative impact of heading a ball on cognition/neurodegenerative disease. Howay, Al. 

You can’t honestly expect anything different? He’s a disciple of Bruce.

10 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Yeah it's not 1995 anymore, lads. 

If you compared the running stats vs now then they'd be night and day. Really think the authorities need to look at this now with the amount of injuries across lots of clubs and players clearly never getting a break.

They seem reluctant to cut down the games, in fact the opposite is happening, so other measures that would help should be looked at. Like increasing the max size of a squad, relaxation of the loan rules etc. Just increasing the amount of games until enough players break to act is not good enough. 

Absolutely, unfortunately players are a disposable commodity. 

Federations and owners want more games as it means more revenue the players who are of course employees have to suck it up. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Absolutely, unfortunately players are a disposable commodity. 

Federations and owners want more games as it means more revenue the players who are of course employees have to suck it up. 

They'll threaten strike action soon imo which will probably split the game.

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

They'll threaten strike action soon imo which will probably split the game.

Threatening will do nothing though, they will have to actually strike which is really difficult for them to actually do. They will make enemies of everyone if they were to do so. 

The best hope is some form of amicable solution but that means someone getting less money, and in capitalism; boy do people hate getting less money even if they have more than they could ever need. 

The annoying thing about that Shearer soundbite and other similar opinions is that it implies that today's players are workshy or less committed than they used to be. 

When in fact they're putting in far more yards than Shearer ever did, making way more lifestyle sacrifices, playing far more games. Essentially players commit their lives these days so they are fit to play every 3-7 days, with maybe a couple of weeks off in summer if they're lucky. Yeah we all know they're paid very well for it but it doesn't seem sustainable to me. 

Shearer should probably bear in mind that most players don't have their own private Bellamy to do their running for them.

That said I think sometimes too much excuse is attributed to tiredness. 'Oh Isak couldn't possibly be expected to control & hold on to the ball, he's a bit tired' that sort of stuff.

It's probably the last 15 mins or so of a game where I'd expect fatigue to really start having an effect. Worth mentioning that with 5 subs allowed now, more players can empty the tanks earlier in a game, increasing the intensity of the match & it's the high intensity stuff that takes it out of you more as well - it's not the distance covered that's the key thing, it's really how many sprints and hard efforts you do. That's what's really knackering.

9 minutes ago, Checko said:

Shearer should probably bear in mind that most players don't have their own private Bellamy to do their running for them.

That said I think sometimes too much excuse is attributed to tiredness. 'Oh Isak couldn't possibly be expected to control & hold on to the ball, he's a bit tired' that sort of stuff.

It's probably the last 15 mins or so of a game where I'd expect fatigue to really start having an effect. Worth mentioning that with 5 subs allowed now, more players can empty the tanks earlier in a game, increasing the intensity of the match & it's the high intensity stuff that takes it out of you more as well - it's not the distance covered that's the key thing, it's really how many sprints and hard efforts you do. That's what's really knackering.

The first point I disagree with, Shearer played with Bellamy at the back end off his career and when he had suffered two serious injuries. In his prime he was anything but lazy and used to cover a lot of ground. At his prime, he was sensational. 

44 minutes ago, Checko said:

Bit disrespectful of Shearers career, he was massively hard working.

41 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Bit disrespectful of Shearers career, he was massively hard working.

Relative to the time he was, yeah.  And put his body on the line with his style.

He'd need to make significant changes if playing today though.  Sure he could have done it but the demands on players now are different.

Shearer is and forever will be a legend but I've long since stopped paying attention to his attempts to provide an earnest footballing opinion tbh. If he stuck with management he'd just be another on the PFM carousel.

The game has changed dramatically and comparing the physicality of previous generations of the PL is absolutely pointless. It may have been more rough and tumble but he mentions sports science himself. That of course is partly about helping recuperate but it's also about extracting the absolute maximum out of players which is likely to take its toll in other ways. 

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about the same XI playing four or five games in the space of two weeks not looking anywhere near as fresh as a team that likely has access to all the same sports science methods, but has had less games or been able to rotate. Yeah, players can say that they want to play, no one is arguing most will want to be out there. But that doesn't mean they're capable of doing so without a downturn in their performance.

How we've reached this level of exhaustion with NUFC is another discussion as to whether there were chances to rotate sooner that could've prevented certain outcomes. But remembering Neville on Sunday for example, 'well they might be tired but they could at least control the ball better'.. What the fuck does he think fatigue does? It doesn't just make a player run slower. They'll react slower, they won't be as quick to or on the ball as an opponent, they'll generally look sloppy in a situation like that. It's not a case of just 'wanting it more'.

24 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Relative to the time he was, yeah.  And put his body on the line with his style.

He'd need to make significant changes if playing today though.  Sure he could have done it but the demands on players now are different.

At what time though? Shearer is his Blackburn/early Newcastle days would have no issue what so ever. He'd comfortably be one of the best centre forwards in Europe right now and be smashing them in. 

5 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

At what time though? Shearer is his Blackburn/early Newcastle days would have no issue what so ever. He'd comfortably be one of the best centre forwards in Europe right now and be smashing them in. 

Yeah I think he would as well as the best players adapt.  But he'd need to be a lot fitter, a lot more in tune tactically and his lifestyle back then wouldn't work now.

Which is why I'm saying him playing his game 20-30 years ago is much different to what players are having to do now, and him saying player faitgue is a myth doesn't mean much at all.

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

Yeah I think he would as well as the best players adapt.  But he'd need to be a lot fitter, a lot more in tune tactically and his lifestyle back then wouldn't work now.

Which is why I'm saying him playing his game 20-30 years ago is much different to what players are having to do now, and him saying player faitgue is a myth doesn't mean much at all.

I don't think it's a myth but think it's being overblown and over stated at times. Win we aren't fatigued, lose and we are. At home we aren't fatigued, away from home we are. Seems to be a theme, more going on than just that although I do agree it's a contributing factor.