Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands (Netherlands and Senegal qualify)

Big River

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Ake has played quite a bit this season, probably deserves his place. VVD has been crap all season but has the history to back up his inclusion. De Ligt is shite, Botman should be in ahead of him, it's just daft and probably mainly because he plays for Juventus. Botman may lack experience but is one of the most in-form CBs in one of the toughest leagues, no brainer he should be there.

Definitely not saying Botman shouldn't be in there, just saying Ake has been much more than just a last 5 player for Man City. He plays a fair bit and he's quality. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely not saying Botman shouldn't be in there, just saying Ake has been much more than just a last 5 player for Man City. He plays a fair bit and he's quality. 

I agreed with that part, I was just saying De Ligt is poor and Botman easily should be in there over him. Think we're mainly arguing a similar point.

I'm sure Senegal are tough and physical to play against and most international teams have advanced a lot tactically in recent years but this Netherlands team...just no fluidity at all. FDJ is a classy player but there's not much else there. Shame, they used to be one of my favorite international teams to watch. Loved the Euro 88 team and also the Euro 2000 team with Seedorf, Davids, Overmars and Kluivert was pure class.

The great Dutch sides over the years have often had weak spots in defence. Talent pool much smaller than than you would think and have probably historically punched above their weight. Now they've got a pool of strong defenders but extremely limited forwards. Packing them all into one team and unsurprisingly it's dreadful to watch.

8 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I'm sure Senegal are tough and physical to play against and most international teams have advanced a lot tactically in recent years but this Netherlands team...just no fluidity at all. FDJ is a classy player but there's not much else there. Shame, they used to be one of my favorite international teams to watch. Loved the Euro 88 team and also the Euro 2000 team with Seedorf, Davids, Overmars and Kluivert was pure class.

I really liked their 1998 WC team with Van Der Sar and Bergkamp also. They were a team I loved watching.