Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands (Netherlands and Senegal qualify)

Big River

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Qatar are the first hosts in the history of the World Cup to lose the opening match:celb1:

Thousands left after the second goal so I can see the Qataries just checking out and spitting the dummy once they are gone from the group 

1 hour ago, Disco said:

They beat Korea with Son captaining 1-0 in the QF.

Then the hosts UAE 4-0 in the semis and then Japan 3-1 in the final. Clearly in the AFC they are not outmatched physically and are able to impose themselves on games - with club type cohesion providing an equaliser. In fact they may actually have some kind of physical advantage in those games considering the origin of some of their players.

Today they were just completely outgunned physically from the off. That further enforced the technical gulf (no pun intended) between the teams.

You'll get games in the AFC where the likes of Vietnam and Thailand will match up reasonably well against the likes of Korea and Japan and be competitive. But they'd get obliterated far worse than Qatar did today if you put them in a World Cup against physical and technical South American/European teams (whereas Japan/Korea have often matched up reasonably well and give a strong account). It's always been a bit of a strange continent for results like that. 

5 hours ago, Kasper said:

43F3A36D-9EC9-40C6-BE4A-3EF83460DD92.jpeg

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Bloody hell, when the ball is played nobody is remotely offside, there’s nobody offside after that either. That picture still is utterly meaningless.

Look at the picture above.  The number 13 is potentially in an offside position when that ball is played.  It’s not about the ball being delivered into the box, it’s about the header across.  The number 13’s left arm looks like it might be ahead but all but one Qatari player (incl the GK) and ahead of the player winning the ball

I’m not saying he deffo is, because sometimes those angles are deceptive - but it’s a bloody close one, and hardly the ‘how have they given that’ that some are portraying it as. 

Watching UEFA footy you get used to the fact that travelling is generally minimal, pitches are always good, climate and altitude broadly the same. Even the microstates basically have top notch facilities and organisation. It's a very controlled environment that produces pretty steady and dependable results despite the high quality throughout.

With other continents there are lots of things that are equalisers - and thats obviously true in Asia. Huge amounts of travelling for the players in the bigger sides (most of Japan's squad play abroad for example), vastly different climates, poor pitches, atrocious referees. It's the same in the likes of CONCACAF. While the USA can raise their game in a world cup when the facilities are top notch - they can get dragged right down if they're not on it and end up not qualifying in the first place. As with Qatar today look at Panama in 2018 and wonder how on earth they got there ahead of the US.

I'm not a betting man but I wouldn't go anywhere near betting on a lot of international football. Too many chaos factor involved to be sure.

50 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Look at the picture above.  The number 13 is potentially in an offside position when that ball is played.  It’s not about the ball being delivered into the box, it’s about the header across.  The number 13’s left arm looks like it might be ahead but all but one Qatari player (incl the GK) and ahead of the player winning the ball

I’m not saying he deffo is, because sometimes those angles are deceptive - but it’s a bloody close one, and hardly the ‘how have they given that’ that some are portraying it as. 

It's absolutely nothing to do with the number 13. The offside player is the leg stretched out below the keeper.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Watching UEFA footy you get used to the fact that travelling is generally minimal, pitches are always good, climate and altitude broadly the same. Even the microstates basically have top notch facilities and organisation. It's a very controlled environment that produces pretty steady and dependable results despite the high quality throughout.

With other continents there are lots of things that are equalisers - and thats obviously true in Asia. Huge amounts of travelling for the players in the bigger sides (most of Japan's squad play abroad for example), vastly different climates, poor pitches, atrocious referees. It's the same in the likes of CONCACAF. While the USA can raise their game in a world cup when the facilities are top notch - they can get dragged right down if they're not on it and end up not qualifying in the first place. As with Qatar today look at Panama in 2018 and wonder how on earth they got there ahead of the US.

I'm not a betting man but I wouldn't go anywhere near betting on a lot of international football. Too many chaos factor involved to be sure.

There’s also just a massive drop-off in talent.  Part of the rationale for adding more and more WC places was that it would help football’s ‘developing’ nations  improve over time - but that improvement is yet to be seen, and now the WC is filled with turgid teams playing turgid football.  The next one expands to 48 teams too; Jesus H Christ. 

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

It's absolutely nothing to do with the number 13. The offside player is the leg stretched out below the keeper.

Bear in mind I haven’t watched the game.

If that player is the one who is flagged for offside, then it depends where they were when the ball was played and that freeze frame is completely irrelevant - he is are interfering with player whether he plays it or not n

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Bear in mind I haven’t watched the game.

If that player is the one who is flagged for offside, then it depends where they were when the ball was played and that freeze frame is completely irrelevant - he is are interfering with player whether he plays it or not n

That freeze frame is the ball being played.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re jumping like that when the ball is being played into the box?  That’s odd

The leg sticking out does not belong to the person heading it 

Assuming I have uploaded it correctly, this image shows it better 

It was the correct decision 

20221120_174432.jpg

35 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The leg sticking out does not belong to the person heading it 

Assuming I have uploaded it correctly, this image shows it better 

It was the correct decision 

20221120_174432.jpg

Yep, it is a lot more clear from that angle.  He’s offside.

Did the TV not show this angle?

51 minutes ago, Ben said:

Does the Qatar player in line with the 6 yard box not count (my offside knowledge must be way off)

The last man effectively becomes the keeper in that situation and the keeper becomes the last man if that makes sense.

You don’t see it very often - I think there was a goal disallowed in one of the cups for it last year I think.

Edited by GeordieDazzler