The Round of 16

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Be amazed if there’s any tomorrow but I’ll be popping a bet on a Morocco & Swiss double for Tues.

I could potentially see Switzerland chinning Portugal on the day if they have a go. I have a feeling they'll set up to contain like they did v Brazil though.

Just finished watching the game. Congrats to England!

I thought Bellingham was really good today and England as a whole played very well. Let's se if the Three Lions can take down an impressive France and Mbappe.

Spain went out in group stages 2014 and then last 16 of both Euro 2016 and Russia. But I don't think they had a bad side for any of those tournaments. Just the sense that things has gone stale and teams had figured out how to beat a side that couldn't quite play how they wanted to anymore. This Germany definitely feels similar.

14 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Genuinely don't think Germany played that bad in this tournament FWIW nor is the team that terrible. Early 2000s side was definitely worse despite that jammy run in 2002. Just seems to be something mentally not there and tactically stale about them at the moment. And the lack of a proper CF both in terms of available players and system is completely un-German like. 

Can’t help but think they’ve fucked themselves with player development a bit now the older guard has gone and they’re left with a boat load of pressing and technically decent midfielders/wide players but little else as nearly the whole league plays the same type of football.

Probably no surprise that their best prospect grew up initially outside their system in Musiala.

Regardless, it’s very weird how gasping people are to write off Southgate. I don’t rate him much but it’s agenda central to find an angle to have a pop. 

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Genuinely don't think Germany played that bad in this tournament FWIW nor is the team that terrible. Early 2000s side was definitely worse despite that jammy run in 2002. Just seems to be something mentally not there and tactically stale about them at the moment. And the lack of a proper CF both in terms of available players and system is completely un-German like. 

I didn't mean in terms of quality, because they are one of the best sides in the world there. Just that they've had a horrendous run in the tournaments lately.

It stands out so much because it's Germany as well mind, we're so used to them just being a well oiled machine and beating countries with ease, especially after they were so good in Brazil. 

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Can’t help but think they’ve fucked themselves with player development a bit now the older guard has gone and they’re left with a boat load of pressing and technically decent midfielders/wide players but little else as nearly the whole league plays the same type of football.

Probably no surprise that their best prospect grew up initially outside their system in Musiala.

Regardless, it’s very weird how gasping people are to write off Southgate. I don’t rate him much but it’s agenda central to find an angle to have a pop. 

It's bizarre. We've cruised into the WC QF without breaking sweat and people are still getting stuck into him.

There are far better coaches and tacticians out there, but it's like people can't separate that from what he's actually achieved over the last few years.

Southgate has negotiated the tournament well overall so far. But we've also played 4 teams worse than us.

Huge test against France, we'll need to be tactically spot on and he may need to adjust things quickly in game. Things he's rightly been criticised for lacking/not doing against Croatia and Italy when it matters. 

It's not mentioned on here, but there is of course the "woke" angle. Southgate had the audacity to comment on the absolute state of British society, as well as not condemning his players as far left Marxists when they chose to take the knee. That didn't go down well in culture war UK.

Edited by The Prophet

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's bizarre. We've cruised into the WC QF without breaking sweat and people are still getting stuck into him.

There are far better coaches and tacticians out there, but it's like people can't separate that from what he's actually achieved over the last few years.

I don’t get it especially as a lot is from the don’t care if we win or lose anyway mate brigade.

I think it’s the notion that FA’s are being begged by CL coaches to take control of national teams that bugs me most. They’re really not and even if they were they’d struggle to pay the going rate. The next England manager will be underwhelming as fuck. I can only think of Luis Enrique, off the top of my head, who isn’t washed or internationalised who is still in the WC and who might probably be in the frame a top club job.  

England are actually likeable; that he’s managed to do that is achievement enough IMO never mind being a latter stage regular. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's not mentioned on here, but there is of course the "woke" angle. Southgate had the audacity to comment on the absolute state of British society, as well as not condemning his players as far left Marxists when they chose to take the knee. That didn't go down well in culture war UK.

That's interesting. Where is that quote?

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That was great. Love how efficient and likeable this England set-up is.

Punt: winner of our QF wins the tournament.

Still think it’s Brazil’s to lose but will the Pele distraction/added pressure lead to a hilarious blow up. You’d hate absolutely fucking love to see it. 

That all the teams have flaws and match winners on their day is perfect. Turning out to be a great tournament. 

Is this French team the best team Southgate has had to face in his entire England career? I think it just well may be. Whatever happens its going to be an interesting game and hopefully an exciting one. 

What’s going on. England fans are changing the its coming home song/meme suffixed with “free palestine”.

What happened to racially abusing black players and shooting fireworks out of our arses? That was less than two years ago.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Might have went straight over my head as I do not live in England and very likely do not understand the nuanced politics but I must have missed where he said anything negative other than pitch invasions are a sign of greater problems. 

His quote:
“We have to look at what we’re doing in terms of parenting. What are the expectations?"

Applies to the USA too.

Just now, McDog said:

Might have went straight over my head as I do not live in England and very likely do not understand the nuanced politics but I must have missed where he said anything negative other than pitch invasions are a sign of greater problems. 

His quote:
“We have to look at what we’re doing in terms of parenting. What are the expectations?"

Applies to the USA too.

He's mentioned it more then once. He's a very perceptive chap and his perfectly objective, reasonable observations have been twisted by angry bad faith actors, as is the way these days.

11 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Is this French team the best team Southgate has had to face in his entire England career? I think it just well may be. Whatever happens its going to be an interesting game and hopefully an exciting one. 

Maybe if they were all fit. Half on the best 11 is missing. It’s doable for you.

Basically the frothers won’t settle for anything less than the following from Southgate:

1) He says politics needs to stay out of football and puts a total stop any mention of discrimination 

2) He commands the team to both not take the knee but also denounce it

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Basically the frothers won’t settle for anything less than the following from Southgate:

1) He says politics needs to stay out of football and puts a total stop any mention of discrimination 

2) He commands the team to both not take the knee but also denounce it

Not super clued in. I didn't see that in the Prophet's posted story.  I guess I missed the quote from him on number 2. My personal view I don't find it actually binds people together as it's simply a gesture. I'd prefer actual action, ala deeds to cement that thought, which I agree with.

I missed the meaning of your post me thinks. I now see you say some segment of the public demands that.

Edited by McDog

23 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Maybe if they were all fit. Half on the best 11 is missing. It’s doable for you.

Their team is still arguably the best team at the WC. Just having Mbappe there makes them one of the best sides in the world, he is utterly ridiculous how good he is. 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Their team is still arguably the best team at the WC. Just having Mbappe there makes them one of the best sides in the world, he is utterly ridiculous how good he is. 

True. Still think it’s gonna be super close even though on paper maybe France is favourites. I’d maybe even bet for England but can’t really rationalize why. Just a feeling.

Think France actually look more well balanced with Giroud than Benzema. The three behind just seem to function better playing off him. 

Kante is a big miss but he's been fairly terrible or looked unfit the last year or so anyway. 

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Ref has been absolutely superb.

31 n all. Not sure if there’s a couple from Central America or it’s just him but they’ve been noticeable that they’re less keen to get the cards out and don’t put with much shit. Total mirror of the national teams round there having a love of physicality and aggression. 

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

I didn't mean in terms of quality, because they are one of the best sides in the world there. Just that they've had a horrendous run in the tournaments lately.

It stands out so much because it's Germany as well mind, we're so used to them just being a well oiled machine and beating countries with ease, especially after they were so good in Brazil. 

they have quality, but like Belgium, look disjointed and lost, no direction and the players don't have an ounce of passion for the shirt.