The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

He was a nothing club manager, and he's now made a living out of being England manager. He's the international version of Glen Roeder as a manager. Nice guy but can't win the big games or make tough choices. If he was really proactive he would have designated a second penalty taker instead of being surprised that we got two in the same game. I'm never happy to see the same player take two penalties in a game. No criticism of Kane either, his first pen was one of the best in this competition.

Order one of the world's most consistent penalty takers not to take a penalty in a World Cup quarter final because he's already scored one? One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life.

This is when you know folk are really at the bottom of the barrel and will use absolutely anything to criticise Gareth Southgate against all reason and logic.

Just now, Shearergol said:

How hasn’t he learnt? Leaving game changers like Maddison on the bench. Playing a tactic of not passing forwards until France scored. Leaving Grealish on the bench until there was 1 minute left.

as I keep trying to say, I’m not even calling for Southgate to be sacked. I just disagree with the media who say that he learns from his mistakes. 

Fair enough. 

I'd say both sides took the game to each other and both were on top at different periods of the match. This French side have so much firepower they're bound to peg you back at times.  I don't think the game particularly needed changing for that reason.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I don’t know why this is such a controversial question? I’m hoping people with more knowledge of English youth players can help out?

It wouldn't be a controversial question at all if you weren't clearly beating it into the ground just for the purpose of winning an argument.

Kane has to take that second penalty for me.  But he was obviously caught in two minds - he was going the same way as the first but knew Lloris would anticipate it so added more power, which was a fatal mistake.  Hindsight is 50/50 unless you’re talking about something patently obvious, as this was.

I think England performed exactly in this tournament as they did the previous two - beat the poor and mediocre, lost vs the first decent side they played.  They went out to a very good side, and didn’t embarrass themselves - but that’s no different to pretty much every England tournament in my lifetime.  2010 and 2016 are the only two I can think of where you could potentially say they were ‘embarrassed’ - and even then, that was a lot more to do with condescension towards a very good Iceland team who’d been getting good results vs good sides over the previous two years. 

18 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

We were specifically talking about the Euros, which are a year and a half away. I am not talking about the following World Cup. Kane's abilities will probably not be reduced so much. Fullback is way more of an issue.

Are you suggesting that England put Kane out to pasture for the next Euros? If he is firing on all cylinders and doesn't suffer any serious injuries, then you won't need to worry as much about another striker coming through, as we are talking about 18 months.

Reece James, TAA (I know he is out of form, but he is till a class RB), Chilwell is an excellent collection of young fullbacks to build a team around. Talent is not going to be an issue with England for the foreseeable future. 

I hope the one thing Southgate learned from today and this campaign is that if England plays on the front foot, very few teams can live with them. French defense were rattled today. A more neutral ref and one of them could have been sent off. 

I have not been a huge fan of Southgate-ball but cant fault him for this campaign. If he continues this slightly bolder approach, might be worth sticking with him. Unless someone like Mancini is available.

More than anything England need a mentality shift. English football could use a Eoin Morgan or Ben Stokes, either on the pitch or in the dugout. No squad is perfect. A lot of times, the narrative is shifted around how great the team is after they win something. England has the talent to win the world cup playing their unique way of football.  As a starting point, the belief has to be there. 

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

It wouldn't be a controversial question at all if you weren't clearly beating it into the ground just for the purpose of winning an argument.

Oh ffs, I’m genuinely not. There wasn’t even an argument. I don’t disagree that Kane will still be world class in 2 years, but his lack of pace, to me, indicates we need another option.

I’ve had so little interest in England the last couple of years that I couldn’t even name an u21 player in that position.

I’ll just google it, don’t worry 

6 minutes ago, Shak said:

Is that a thing? Not taking two penalties in a game, I mean.

Don't think I can recall ever seeing a player score a penalty then not take the next one when their team got a second.

I've seen enough people take a penalty successfully then miss the second one, usually in penalty shoot outs. It's a psychological thing, when you are taking another penalty in the same game, some second guessing starts going on. You could clearly see it in Kane's second pen.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Oh ffs, I’m genuinely not. There wasn’t even an argument. I don’t disagree that Kane will still be world class in 2 years, but his lack of pace, to me, indicates we need another option.

I’ve had so little interest in England the last couple of years that I couldn’t even name an u21 player in that position.

I’ll just google it, don’t worry 

Forgive me for thinking you are as it certainly appears that way given how this whole thing started.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Kane has to take that second penalty for me.  But he was obviously caught in two minds - he was going the same way as the first but knew Lloris would anticipate it so added more power, which was a fatal mistake.  Hindsight is 50/50 unless you’re talking about something patently obvious, as this was.

I think England performed exactly in this tournament as they did the previous two - beat the poor and mediocre, lost vs the first decent side they played.  They went out to a very good side, and didn’t embarrass themselves - but that’s no different to pretty much every England tournament in my lifetime.  2010 and 2016 are the only two I can think of where you could potentially say they were ‘embarrassed’ - and even then, that was a lot more to do with condescension towards a very good Iceland team who’d been getting good results vs good sides over the previous two years. 

Not that he needs any advice from me but as I posted at the time, that penalty had to go down the middle. Pass it in, chest height. Lloris was always going to go for the big dive one way or the other given how the first one went.

Forgive me for thinking you are as it certainly appears that way given how this whole thing started.

Pointless carrying this on. I’ve only said about 10 times that it’s a genuine question. Clearly nobody has the answer so I’ll leave it.

Just now, Wullie said:

Not that he needs any advice from me but as I posted at the time, that penalty had to go down the middle. Pass it in, chest height. Lloris was always going to go for the big dive one way or the other given how the first one went.

Yeah, agreed.  It always struck me that Lloris would go the same way that the first went.  I feel more sorry for the bloke than anything else, but unlike the first I was convinced he’d miss / have it saved. 

Sadly, in age at least, I am. You have continually altered the conversation this whole time, which hits a couple of logical fallacies on the way.

i just posted my original question. “Any strikers coming through?. That’s been my question through this entirely pointless conversation with you. But still, Eddie out eh ?

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

this is how the conversation started ffs :lol:

In response to our posts about how England will be. Your posts about Southgate and the team before that obviously would  be taken into context with your response here. If it was a completely separate issue (which I am slightly skeptical), then fair enough. Otherwise I suspect a little gaslighting is going on.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

3 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Reece James, TAA (I know he is out of form, but he is till a class RB), Chilwell is an excellent collection of young fullbacks to build a team around. Talent is not going to be an issue with England for the foreseeable future. 

I hope the one thing Southgate learned from today and this campaign is that if England plays on the front foot, very few teams can live with them. French defense were rattled today. A more neutral ref and one of them could have been sent off. 

I have not been a huge fan of Southgate-ball but cant fault him for this campaign. If he continues this slightly bolder approach, might be worth sticking with him. Unless someone like Mancini is available.

More than anything England need a mentality shift. English football could use a Eoin Morgan or Ben Stokes, either on the pitch or in the dugout. No squad is perfect. A lot of times, the narrative is shifted around how great the team is after they win something. England has the talent to win the world cup playing their unique way of football.  As a starting point, the belief has to be there. 

I agree, but our talent is pool is confined to certain positions. We're stacked at full back, out wide and in attacking midfield, but look light at centre back, in the middle and up top.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

i just posted my original question. “Any strikers coming through?. That’s been my question through this entirely pointless conversation with you. But still, Eddie out eh ?

Or I am just a fucking moron and got you confused with someone else. I am started to think the latter is true :lol:

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

In response to our posts about how England will be. Your posts about Southgate and the team before that obviously would  be taken into context with your response here. If it was a completely separate issue (which I am slightly skeptical), then fair enough. Otherwise I suspect a little gaslighting is going on.

We’ve bored the shit out of everyone for long enough to carry this on. 

1. I’m critical of the media, not Southgate 

2. Kane is fine for the Euro’s

3. I’m concerned no strikers are coming through.

that’s me done