The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

Still gutted, I’m not going lay much blame at Southgate (Saka change was a surprise). The ref made some very poor decisions, the first 2 of which massively effected the game. 

We did a pretty good job on Mbappe and despite all the noise on how good Griezeman was in the 1st half, I didn’t really see it.

I’ve lost count of the missed opportunities we’ve had in World Cup, depressing stuff.

Ramsey taking Charlton off, Keegan’s header, Hand of God, Waddle hitting the post, deflected German opener, Campbell’s disallowed goal, Ronaldinho free kick, Beckham sent off, Lampard over the line goal, Croatia bottle job and then yesterday.

I can’t recall too many we got away with one there moments, there must be some (Cameroon/ Belgium but neither were contentious). 

I guess most teams have hard luck stories; just feels we have more than most.

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Edit: I was laughing with schadenfreude through the whole video. Turns out, looking at the comments, that the video wasn't made as a joke :lol:

I made myself a favour and saw that with no audio as I knew it wasnt ironic.

If you lived in Portugal you would be familiar with the level of absolutely insane amount of boot licking in regards to Ronaldo.

- Actors saying in live TV they have rather lost earlier if that meant Ronaldo played all the time, because of "being grateful"

- His redneck family bombarding us on Instagram post after post after post, saying things like "41 is still young" - smirking at the fact he will play in 2026

- His wife making considerations about Santos tactical options

- His sister calling the entire portuguese population "ungrateful bastards that killed an entire nation" (re: loss yesterday)

- Santos saying he will continue anyway

Please take me out of this horror movie. Its too much.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Still gutted, I’m not going lay much blame at Southgate (Saka change was a surprise). The ref made some very poor decisions, the first 2 of which massively effected the game. 

We did a pretty good job on Mbappe and despite all the noise on how good Griezeman was in the 1st half, I didn’t really see it.

I’ve lost count of the missed opportunities we’ve had in World Cup, depressing stuff.

Ramsey taking Charlton off, Keegan’s header, Hand of God, Waddle hitting the post, deflected German opener, Campbell’s disallowed goal, Ronaldinho free kick, Beckham sent off, Lampard over the line goal, Croatia bottle job and then yesterday.

I can’t recall too many we got away with one there moments, there must be some (Cameroon/ Belgium but neither were contentious). 

I guess most teams have hard luck stories; just feels we have more than most.

Before this World Cup I was so excited about Benfica that I barely gave a fuck about it. Pretty much how you felt about NUFC season.

Now that we are out I am absolutely gutted, almost Europa League 2014 final levels. Almost!

Barely slept. Tremendous headache.

We are all getting older and we know that chances for teams like Portugal or England to be world champions arent that high. This year we had everything to pull it out with a bit of luck, looking at the brackets.

I cant even take a good look at that Santos or CR7 faces, Christ Sake. Mrs said I never sweared so much like yesterday.

Somebody please burn international football to the ground.

Southgate is a man I will always have a lot of respect for and will associate with some of my favourite memories of watching England so far in my life. I don’t think those are reasons to keep him on though and he should leave deserving of a lot of praise. I think we now know this is a very talented side (weaker starting line-up than 2006, but more depth) that should be thinking of itself as among the best and should no longer be seen as brave losers doing the nation proud etc. I think Southgate’s ability to create a positive culture and environment cannot be understated, but ultimately I think he lacks that winning mentality and so will only take us so far. 

Different sport I admit, but I can’t help but look at the impact McCullum and Stokes have had following a previous overly cautious coach and captain. It may not always work but it seems to allow talented players to thrive and probably has a significant impact mentally on the opposition too. 

3 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Southgate is a man I will always have a lot of respect for and will associate with some of my favourite memories of watching England so far in my life. I don’t think those are reasons to keep him on though and he should leave deserving of a lot of praise. I think we now know this is a very talented side (weaker starting line-up than 2006, but more depth) that should be thinking of itself as among the best and should no longer be seen as brave losers doing the nation proud etc. I think Southgate’s ability to create a positive culture and environment cannot be understated, but ultimately I think he lacks that winning mentality and so will only take us so far. 

Different sport I admit, but I can’t help but look at the impact McCullum and Stokes have had following a previous overly cautious coach and captain. It may not always work but it seems to allow talented players to thrive and probably has a significant impact mentally on the opposition too. 

Fully agree... Sometimes you need someone to lay the foundations but then you need a manager with that extra 1 percent to breakthrough to next level.

I forgot Kane took 2 pens in the Colombia game in the last WC, one in game and one in the shootout. First one went exactly where I wanted him to put the second vs France - dead centre, then he drilled the second into the bottom left corner.

I think Kane realised Lloris was going the right way and tried to adjust his shot. Kane really should have fully committed to hard and low if he was going the same side again but imo down the middle was the way to go. There’s now way a keeper isn’t diving with less than 10 mins left in a WC QF.

2 minutes ago, TenkoDaLuz said:

You are laughing cause you still gutted? 🤣

Correct. But it's more sheer frustration than being gutted.

I'm sure we're not alone in genuinely believing we could win the World Cup; but there's genuinely believing the World Cup plus believing we edged the contest in which we were eliminated. Not to mention all of the remaining teams actually being weaker than France. 

It's similar vibes to our UEFA Cup exit in 2005 (against your friends Sporting) when there was nowt flash left to overcome if we'd only got over that hurdle. 

Important caveat: of course we might have slipped up against this extremely impressive Morocco side as the Iberians did. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Correct. But it's more sheer frustration than being gutted.

I'm sure we're not alone in genuinely believing we could win the World Cup; but there's genuinely believing the World Cup plus believing we edged the contest in which we were eliminated. Not to mention all of the remaining teams actually being weaker than France. 

It's similar vibes to our UEFA Cup exit in 2005 (against your friends Sporting) when there was nowt flash left to overcome if we'd only got over that hurdle. 

Important caveat: of course we might have slipped up against this extremely impressive Morocco side as the Iberians did. 

I get your point. I'm still gutted today, and adding to that I am pissed off that I am gutted about this. I am telling Mrs we're having issues at work, as I spent those weeks before WC telling her I wouldn't give two fucks about it. [emoji38] My season was going absolutely lovely before these CR7 + his band clowns kicked in, and started giving me high hopes.

And losing to Morocco ffs.

Re: 2005 UEFA Cup. I clearly remember watching that game, my freshman year in college. I was rooting for NUFC of course. But let me tell you it still wouldn't be that easy after Lisbon. Alkmaar had a very strong side and Lisbon only won in the last minute of extra time. And then CSKA was a very difficult team as well.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

Listening to a comment on the radio..

If Southgate had to apply for the job back in 2016 he would not have got it. It was more there was no other English option available after he got the caretaker job.

6 years later we are still saying there is no viable English manager options.

If we really want to stick to the English or nothing rule.. how do the FA encourage top clubs to give English managers a pathway to the top.

I mean it's how Mike Bassett got the job in the 2001 film and people thought it was a joke back then!

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

20 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

If Southgate had to apply for the job back in 2016 he would not have got it. It was more there was no other English option available after he got the caretaker job.

If we really want to stick to the English or nothing rule.. how do the FA encourage top clubs to give English managers a pathway to the top.

I mean it's how Mike Bassett got the job in the 2001 film and people thought it was a joke back then!

I actually always prefer foreign national managers.

National football associations are always under the pressure of lobbies from N clubs to promote their players, agents, sponsors, etc.

The less a national coach is inside that net of interests, the better.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

From a psychological standpoint I can't imagine there's ever been a more interesting penalty than Kane's second. Club teammates of the last 8-10 years after already having had one -- the things they must have been recalling from past games, training, etc. 

23 hours ago, TenkoDaLuz said:

Before this World Cup I was so excited about Benfica that I barely gave a fuck about it. Pretty much how you felt about NUFC season.

Now that we are out I am absolutely gutted, almost Europa League 2014 final levels. Almost!

Barely slept. Tremendous headache.

We are all getting older and we know that chances for teams like Portugal or England to be world champions arent that high. This year we had everything to pull it out with a bit of luck, looking at the brackets.

I cant even take a good look at that Santos or CR7 faces, Christ Sake. Mrs said I never sweared so much like yesterday.

Somebody please burn international football to the ground.

It’s funny what the World Cup does to one. I’m in a whatsapp group with a couple of people over 65 years of age and no one has been able to sleep after losing to Croatia. I always thought I’d be better at handling an elimination at a World Cup, but only a few things in life are worse and the fact that these gentlemen are four days later still thinking about that counter attack in the 116th minute doesn’t feed me with hope that I one day will accept an elimination. :lol: The fact that the World Cup officially ends when your team bows out in a way just adds to the depressing feeling.

Luckily this time I was at home, in 2014 we caught a plane 6am after the 7-1. No one said a word to each other in 6 hours and in 2018 we had to catch an 18 hour train from Kazan to Moscow in a cramped third class wagon. What I do learn each time, however, is how amazing this sporting event is, whether it’s from the comfort of your home or live. 

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

It’s funny what the World Cup does to one. I’m in a whatsapp group with a couple of people over 65 years of age and no one has been able to sleep after losing to Croatia. I always thought I’d be better at handling an elimination at a World Cup, but only a few things in life are worse and the fact that these gentlemen are four days later still thinking about that counter attack in the 116th minute doesn’t feed me with hope that I one day will accept an elimination. :lol: The fact that the World Cup officially ends when your team bows out in a way just adds to the depressing feeling.

Luckily this time I was at home, in 2014 we caught a plane 6am after the 7-1. No one said a word to each other in 6 hours and in 2018 we had to catch an 18 hour train from Kazan to Moscow in a cramped third class wagon. What I do learn each time, however, is how amazing this sporting event is, whether it’s from the comfort of your home or live. 

I can relate. Arguably the worst hours of my life were traveling back to Portugal after the Europa League final of 2014. I still have deep in memory the sound of the mechanical needle writing Sevilla's name in the cup, as I was walking out the stadium. Riding the bus to the airport, with the freaking air conditioning stuck on max, right above my head. Then we stopped in Copenhagen, and Brussels. I lost several kgs that week, I even developed a fever.

Mind you, that was the 8th (eight) european final lost in a row by Benfica. Guttman's curse is something so traumatic, that I saw people in the stands crying of sadness, even before the penalty shootout started - as they already knew we would lose again. That day was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, footballistically speaking.

When it comes to the NT obviously nothing will be worse than the final lost at home against Greece. Few people accept talking about that for long, or re-watching images about that game. EURO 2016 kind of made up for that, but not completely. We'll never get over that. Maybe something similar to England losing to Italy last year.

3 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Good post.

Southgate was/is a caretaker manager in every sense. Utterly vanilla, a seemingly decent chap who doesn't want to rock the boat and steadies the ship, but someone who is in no way qualified to be managing at an elite level for longer than a couple of weeks.

It's an indictment of the ineptitude of the FA that no sort of plan was made at the time of his appointment and no succession pathway is put in place once Southgate inevitably goes. I mean, it says a lot that the best they can seem to muster for the U21s is Lee fucking Carsley [emoji38]

3 hours ago, toon25 said:

Good post.

Southgate was/is a caretaker manager in every sense. Utterly vanilla, a seemingly decent chap who doesn't want to rock the boat and steadies the ship, but someone who is in no way qualified to be managing at an elite level for longer than a couple of weeks.

It's an indictment of the ineptitude of the FA that no sort of plan was made at the time of his appointment and no succession pathway is put in place once Southgate inevitably goes. I mean, it says a lot that the best they can seem to muster for the U21s is Lee fucking Carsley [emoji38]

That's hardly an England thing though in Europe.  The international game is secondary, and unlike the 2000's, the FA will always get outbid by Premier League clubs for the top job, let alone the Under 21s.

Best case scenario is the stars align and you either get a top manager who is burnt out at the club level and needs a break for 2/4 years (Conte or Enrique) or you luck out with an above average manager who butchered their chances with the top clubs (Deschamps or Santos).

Edited by Pandamninator