The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We’ve bored the shit out of everyone for long enough to carry this on. 

1. I’m critical of the media, not Southgate 

2. Kane is fine for the Euro’s

3. I’m concerned no strikers are coming through.

that’s me done

I am definitely a fucking moron looking back. Many pardons.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Hope that Southgate stays as the FA will definitely be sniffing around Eddie and if they want an English manager he's probably the favourite.

Even if Howe would want it, which he wouldn't, there's more chance of England trying to buy Bruno Guimaraes than paying for a Premier League manager's release. 

Just now, Wullie said:

Even if Howe would want it, which he wouldn't, there's more chance of England trying to buy Bruno Guimaraes than paying for a Premier League manager's release. 

I take it the days of a manager doing double duty are a thing of the past?

7 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Hope that Southgate stays as the FA will definitely be sniffing around Eddie and if they want an English manager he's probably the favourite.

He won't touch it for at least a decade. International management is too restrictive, Eddie wants to be involved from 6am to 8pm. Can you imagine him twiddling his thumbs between international games?

It's best suited to experienced managers who are looking to retire, or club managers who never cut it but had decent reputations up to a point.

Just now, TRon said:

He won't touch it for at least a decade. International management is too restrictive, Eddie wants to be involved from 6am to 8pm. Can you imagine him twiddling his thumbs between international games?

It's best suited to experienced managers who are looking to retire, or club managers who never cut it but had decent reputations up to a point.

Bruce then 

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I agree, but our talent is pool is confined to certain positions. We're stacked at full back, out wide and in attacking midfield, but look light at centre back, in the middle and up top.

But you don't need world class talent in all positions to win a tournament. Portugal won Euro 2016 with Cedric and and a 32 year old Jose Fonte as the right side of their defense. The core of Bellingham, Saka, Foden with world class full backs is an excellent base to build from. The Euros are in two years. Kane will still be there. In fact, most of this squad with the exception of maybe Henderson will still be there. 

Southgate has done his best but he just isn't a top manager, he wouldn't get a job in the premier league, we have had favourable draws in qualifying and the final tournaments, the only decent side i can remember us beating was Germany in the Euro's.

He just isn't a very good manager.

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, agreed.  It always struck me that Lloris would go the same way that the first went.  I feel more sorry for the bloke than anything else, but unlike the first I was convinced he’d miss / have it saved. 

Was interesting the way the French players all vociferously congratulated Lloris for a skied penalty. They clearly thought he'd won a battle of minds.

Best team lost. Not much in it. Mpappe non existent. Kane needed to convert 2nd pen then it was game on but lost his bottle. Should’ve had 3 pens but ref was never giving more than one. Giroud… well I’ve said for the last 10yr approx he does what he does  🤷‍♂️ 

16 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

But you don't need world class talent in all positions to win a tournament. Portugal won Euro 2016 with Cedric and and a 32 year old Jose Fonte as the right side of their defense. The core of Bellingham, Saka, Foden with world class full backs is an excellent base to build from. The Euros are in two years. Kane will still be there. In fact, most of this squad with the exception of maybe Henderson will still be there. 

Aye, we'll be fine for Euro 2024. I agree that if you're tactically switched on you can compensate for weaknesses in the side, but it's tough if you're talking about shortages down the entire spine of the team. I'm sure we'll have youngsters coming through though.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Giroud… well I’ve said for the last 10yr approx he does what he does  🤷‍♂️ 

I’ve wanted him to play for the Toon since Arsenal man. Like you said, he does what he does. 

Edited by cubaricho

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I’d honestly never think Kane would miss the second penalty, his preparation and bottle are just top draw. Was wild. 

There was no one else on the pitch I would have wanted to take it if I was an England fan. 

10 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Has Southgate beaten anyone decent in the tournaments he's been at? 

Nope.  Which means the England have performed roughly at par - which is usual.  Here’s the list from tournaments I have any memory of:

WC 86 - lost to eventual winners Argentina, having won a straightforward last 16 game

EURO 88 - out in group, which did contain both finalists

WC 90 - out in SF, having got past two relatively equivalent teams in the L16 and QF

EURO 92 - generally seen as poor performance, though were in a tough group containing the hosts, the winners, and France

WC 94 - DNQ out of a tricky group containing four nations who could all well have qualified if drawn in a different group

EURO 96 - lost in SF to eventual winners, having outplayed a good Dutch team (who had to win a playoff to qualify) and got pretty lucky vs Spain in QF (dodgy ref cost Spain)

WC 98 - lost to Argentina in L16

EURO 00 - out in group -poor performance given the fact that they led vs Portugal and Romania

WC 02 - lost to eventual winners Brazil in QF after easy win vs Denmark L16

Euro 04 - lost to host Portugal in QF

WC 06 lost to Portugal in QF following easy L16 fixture

EURO 08 - DNQ, generally poor though QF included an excellent Croatian team

WC 10 - lost to Germany L16

Euro 12 - lost in QF to Italy

WC 14 - genuinely poor, out in group

EURO 16 - out in L16 to Iceland

So to me, generally speaking par for England is losing to the first good side they play - the true exceptions being WC14 and EURO 16 (and DNQ in Euro 08)

The only difference in the last four years has been the point at which England has faced a decent side.  In the period listed, WCs have been: QF, SF, DNQ, L16, QF, QF, L16, GS, SF, QF.  QF is par; we’ve reached in six of the nine WCs in which I’ve got any kind of memory.  WC98 and WC 10 we faced a superpower in the L16, which made passage difficult.  Only 94 and 14 broke the pattern with genuine failure.

WC 18 we were fortunate enough to get Sweden in the QF - we didn’t face a good side until the SF.

This isn’t to say Southgate has done a terrible job - he hasn’t - but the narrative that he’s worked wonders just doesn’t compute for me. 

This thing about "losing to the first good side they play" is such nonsense.

Make no mistake, if the fine margins had gone our way and England had won tonight the same people would have been saying "oo-er that French side weren't very good after all, didn't even come top in qualifying, lost to the Swiss in the Euros you know, same old Southgate, only beats shit teams"

Schrödinger's opposition: if we beat them, they must have been shit.