League Cup Quarter Final Draw - Newcastle vs Leicester

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

I’d be okay with any one of those teams at Home, besides probably Leicester and Man City/Liverpool.

You're right, but I'd be ok with the other 3 also at home. We're going to play one of them at some point and it will be a better chance playing them up here. Maybe I'm showing my age as I've been to 3 losing cup finals and there is no worse feeling in footballing terms. 

I agree that we may be better off facing the winner of Man City/Liverpool at home now in the quarters and just throw everything at it with home advantage. There's no extra time until the semis, so a draw takes it to a penalty shootout (I know our record there, but the earlier rounds are everyone's best chance to put them out). If we lose, we had our shot at it and focus on the league.

Failing that, would be nice to see the winner of Man City/Liverpool get Man U away.

4 hours ago, Toon No9 said:

I'd prefer us to win the final against City/Liverpool.

I'd spend the build up to that expecting to lose like 98 and 99. Would like the feeling of fancying winning, even if to be dashed.

I was more guttted losing the semi to Chelsea in 2000 than the two cup finals because I was convinved we'd have turned Villa over in the final than the 98 and 99 finals I had zero expectations of, mostly because of what we were facing - double and treble winners.

My hope is:

Toon v Charlton 

Man Utd v Man City/Liverpool

Wolves v Leicester

Southampton v Forest

Semis

Toon v Forest

Man U v Wolves/Leicester

Final

Toon v Wolves/Leicester 

Probably the most likely route to a cup win.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

City/Liverpool at home please.

Much rather get them now than over two legs or in the final. If we go out thats tired legs saved too. Knock one of them out and you'd have to fancy us to get to the final. Mind, not sure I could stomach another semi / final defeat to Man Utd. 

This is an incredibly sensible post. This please.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How does it make sense to want a harder game above an easier one? I’m confused :lol:

Presumably under the assumption that you'll have to run through one of them at some point, so why not get it out of the way when their guard may be more down than if they're zoned in in a final?

I'm not fussed either way. I also believe we'll have to run through them at some point so if we get Man City/Liverpool next I at least have faith with Howe. But I won't argue at all with Charlton. You can only best what's in front of you; we've still gotten past two PL teams, however arduous it was, and a semi final is a semi final.

Cup draws are fun and I know the thought of messing with tradition will not be received well, but anyone wish at some point (R16 / QF) there was an established bracket?

Similar to the World Cup I’d find it more interesting if we knew (or were finding out tonight) the path to the final.

46 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How does it make sense to want a harder game above an easier one? I’m confused :lol:

33 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

It makes zero sense [emoji38]

Because there's more chance to beat Manchester City/Liverpool in a one-off game at home, than over two legs and a one-off final at a neutral venue against clubs totally familiar with finals.

The draw for the Quarter-Finals of the Carabao Cup will be made live on Sky Sports on Thursday, after the conclusion of Manchester City v Liverpool. Here are the draw numbers:

1 Charlton Athletic

2 Leicester City

3 Manchester United

4 Newcastle United

5 Nottingham Forest

6 Southampton

7 Wolverhampton Wanderers

8 Manchester City/Liverpool

Joining host Mark Chapman to make the draw will be former Manchester City and Newcastle United shot-stopper, Shay Given, as well as the Lionesses' Euro 2022 winning goalkeeper, Mary Earps.

Carabao Cup Quarter-Final fixtures will take place in the week commencing 9 January 2023, with two matches to be confirmed for live broadcast on Sky Sports.

Hopefully No4 v No1

Edited by prefabtoon

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not till half ten at the earliest 

Yep, it's sky isn't it? They'll have to wank man city and Liverpool off for half an hour first.

Edited by Scoot