The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just a quick thought. Does anyone think there’s still a reluctance either intentionally or not to accept that we’re now back in the mix as force? 

Start of the season all we heard was. They’ll do well to even get top 8. Now with us looking like top 4/6. It’s changed to. Well next season Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs will be back. 

Things change, dynasty’s die etc but there’s a real view permeating around that we will have to get back in our box because the so called big 6 will be  back next season. Even though half of them are woefully run at board level. 

Newcastle Premier League games this season:

Won 2-0
? Drew 0-0
? Drew 3-3
? Drew 1-1
Lost 2-1
? Drew 0-0
? Drew 1-1
Won 1-4
Won 5-1
? Drew 0-0
Won 1-0
Won 1-2
Won 4-0
Won 1-4
Won 1-0
Won 0-3
? Drew 0-0
? Drew 0-0
Won 1-0
? Drew 0-0
? Drew 1-1
? Drew 1-1
Lost 0-2
Lost 2-0
Won 2-1
Won 1-2
Won 2-0
Won 1-5
Won 1-2
Lost 3-0
Won 6-1
Won 1-4

I put the above together quickly so apologies if I have made an error with anything but the stand out points that commentators or opposition fans don’t seem to talk about is that we have had our own difficult periods throughout the season, with only one win in the first seven games at the beginning of the season and another period with only one win in eight between the end of December and early March, scoring three goals in the process.

Don't want to jinx it, but as soon as we won that Wolves match, one of the Bournemouth lads was straight on here saying it was a classic Howe breaking-a-lull win and that we'd go on another winning streak now. He was absolutely bang on.

The sooner the better really, not just for the sake of our form dropping off in the next couple of games but if Bruno/Isak/Trippier gets injured that's a huge blow if we lose them for the last 3 game or so and still need to win them.

Not to get ahead of myself (while totally getting ahead of myself) but if we win our game in hand and then beat Arsenal we're only 6 points behind with 4 games each to go.. :shifty:

Wouldn't mind Fat Time Frankie finally breaking his magnificent losing streak this weekend.

A few cover bet options for the more pessimistic fan:

Newcastle to finish outside the top four - 7/1

Liverpool to win all their remaining games - 9/1

...and for the optimists:

Newcastle to go unbeaten for the rest of the season - 4/1

Newcastle to win all of their remaining games - 40/1

Edited by The Prophet

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Newcastle to win all of their raining games - 40/1

Let's hope it rains every game then!

Was it Fulham that we won 2-1 and broke the not winning streak?

in any case that was the turning point for me. In particular it was the game I noticed Isak drop deep and work his magic. 

Prior to then we struggled to score at times. That’s not been an issue since Isak came into the side. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Was it Fulham that we won 2-1 and broke the not winning streak?

in any case that was the turning point for me. In particular it was the game I noticed Isak drop deep and work his magic. 

Prior to then we struggled to score at times. That’s not been an issue since Isak came into the side. 

Wolves, late Almiron winner. Fulham was the 1-0 in the middle of the poor run.

2 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Just a quick thought. Does anyone think there’s still a reluctance either intentionally or not to accept that we’re now back in the mix as force? 

Start of the season all we heard was. They’ll do well to even get top 8. Now with us looking like top 4/6. It’s changed to. Well next season Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs will be back. 

Things change, dynasty’s die etc but there’s a real view permeating around that we will have to get back in our box because the so called big 6 will be  back next season. Even though half of them are woefully run at board level. 

I love the fact we're underated.

Neville being shocked that Longstaff and Bruno overan McTominay and Salbizer 

Connor Gallagher walking into the England squad ahead of Willock.

Winning while others think you're shite is tremendous.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Newcastle to win all of their remaining games - 40/1

I've already put a quid on us to finish 2nd.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So not much of a turning point then.

:lol:

It did feel huge at the time, and to be fair, I said in the middle of our poor run, which it kind of was because it was in the only win in a stretch of 8 league games, but at the time, it was also made it 7 wins and 2 draws from 9, so we weren't actually doing badly then.

But the Wolves win was absolutely massive. We played well, had a cracking stretch just before half time, took the lead, but then we're pegged back to 1-1 with 20 mins to go and looking like just one win in 9, on the back of the cup final defeat, we were already outside the Champions League spots, and a chance that the season could just fizzle out:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/10-march-2023/

Edited by Paullow

Found them

On 07/03/2023 at 15:29, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Fear not! Looks like Howe hasn't quite managed to kick the streaky habit.

In our League 1 promotion season (12/13) we got near the top of the table (from the relegation zone when he took over), then promptly lost five on the trot before going on a winning run again.

Screenshot_2023-03-07-17-24-48-81_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.thumb.jpg.1b6e048ac57e4a2128ffee82261d3211.jpg

Then in our Championship promotion season (14/15), we went top and then suddenly went five matches without a win only to turn it around again.

Screenshot_2023-03-07-17-26-45-99_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.thumb.jpg.4fa6c1706c40b83972a5b1f942482104.jpg

There are examples from other seasons as well. Given how it works, expect to go on a winning run shortly and drag yourselves back into the top four.

Good luck!

On 12/03/2023 at 18:42, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Thanks for that today, much appreciated that you returned the favour of yesterday.

Told you Howe would turn it around. Today was the first in his traditional run of good results that follows a poor run.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Found them

It's funny, as there isn't any real reason behind it, and knowing Howe, it probably absolutely infuriates him :lol:

Game against Brighton I always assumed would be one of our toughest. However atleast they play alot of the teams around us aswell. Ideally they beat everyone else and then we beat them ?

Edited by alexf

I believe if we get into champions league then this so called “investigation” the papers are taking about will have happened and they’ll find us guilty and deduct us points for next season. 

just to make sure it’s a one off.

24 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I believe if we get into champions league then this so called “investigation” the papers are taking about will have happened and they’ll find us guilty and deduct us points for next season. 

just to make sure it’s a one off.

Cheery bugger you! [emoji38]

Just now, Gawalls said:

It’s the old “everything will turn to shit” In me. Comes with years of Ashley and being a Software developer.

I think it would have turned already if it was feasibly possible. Ie Takeover would never have happened. Sit back and enjoy the ride. :indi:

3 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I think it would have turned already if it was feasibly possible. Ie Takeover would never have happened. Sit back and enjoy the ride. :indi:

Yeah, just a quote I read on a tabloid that apparently they said something along the lines of “we don’t discuss these things” then the article went on to say this could mean there is one as they don’t discuss until it’s all done and a conclusion has been reached.

Think it was the mirror so don’t lose any sleep over it, I’ll do that for all of us ?