The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - NUFC to enter Conference League if Man City win FA Cup

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

We were within a point or two of top 5 or 6 a few games ago. Any team can go on a bad run and suddenly be way behind. The season ends when it ends, and until its mathematically possible we could still end as champions. Yes it's not going to happen but until its done, its not done

Being the chasers will help us too I think.

If we had a fully fit squad or even one with just one or two absentees then I think we’d actually stand a chance of chasing down fourth. As it stands it’s not possible but we’d be there no problem without the injuries I think. Europe might have still stopped us as without the injuries we’d have qualified for the knockout stages

Personally just gonna enjoy the rest of the season. CL isn't on, personally not bothered about the other options (feel CL is more likely without them in 24/25) and no sweat below.

Especially after the last few seasons.

The cup is a different story.

Like 97/98 but without the shit football and results.

With Pope starting, 26 points from 14 games. With Dubz starting, 10 points from 10 games. There is more to it than just the keeper, and the switch simply coincides with a collapse in form. This collapse started with the Everton game, which is included as "Pope".

I don't think 26 points from 14 games with Pope was a fluke, so that a low sixties points total is still possible, possibly even 65 if we regain form. It will depend on Villa and Tottenham where that will place us. Its not in our own hands.

41 minutes ago, Stottie said:

With Pope starting, 26 points from 14 games. With Dubz starting, 10 points from 10 games. There is more to it than just the keeper, and the switch simply coincides with a collapse in form. This collapse started with the Everton game, which is included as "Pope".

I don't think 26 points from 14 games with Pope was a fluke, so that a low sixties points total is still possible, possibly even 65 if we regain form. It will depend on Villa and Tottenham where that will place us. Its not in our own hands.

Dubs was in goal against Everton 

Yeah my mistake. I thought it was that game he came on in, not the Man U one. The stats I quoted were calculated by FBref and will be correct. fwiw, I see the Everton first goal as a turning point in our season.

The hard games Spurs and Villa have are mostly in April and May. While this creates high squeaky bum potential as the season end approaches, those bums are sitting on hefty points cushions over us. We need to hang in there to make sure that pressure will count. The title race looks like it'll go to the wire, so those fixtures will not be easy games for them.

On 10/02/2024 at 20:34, Superior Acuña said:

Obviously we just want to finish as high as possible, but I think 6th/7th are the realistic targets now. We're in a good position for 7th, we should be looking to finish above West Ham and keep Brighton/Chelsea behind. ManU are unpredictable, great if we could pip them to 6th.

Interesting thing about Man Utd, is they have only taken 1 point of the ‘Tier 1’ teams (tier based on last season’s finishing positions) but have amassed 18 points from Tier 4 opponents. It’s the latter where we have really let ourselves down. Could/should have had an extra 8 points and be right in the Top 4 mix, if we had been as effective as them, against those expect to be fighting relegation. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

So is Europe still a possibility then?

I thought it wasn't after the Luton result?

We are 5 points from an end of February total (Bournemouth H and Arsenal A to play) which would put us bang on the average points total for a sixth place finish. So still in there with a chance. 

6 hours ago, Stottie said:

Well if we were to win all the remaining games a 78 point total pretty much guarantees Champions League. So kind of still in our hands. Not that I think we will, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we gathered another 28 points (64 total) and/or didn’t lose again this season. 

I'd give up getting Europe through the league if we can win the FA Cup. But with Liverpool and Man Utd and even Chelsea still in that, we'll need to get nice draws for ourselves and the others to knock each other out in the QF and Semis. And we'll of course need to win the Alan Shearer derby first as well.

Tough but doable. The league is much tougher for imho. Need those teams still in Europe, to stutter a bit and we keep on winning. 

God, I sound so obvious trying to stay positive.

Yeh aye. 

I just wouldn't gamble the success of our season on any cup competition atm.

The margins are too fine. We don't have that je ne sais quoi to get big wins over the line in cup competitions.

I would love to win the FA Cup and I think we have a decent chance. We are good team. But in my heart, I expect heartbreak.

48 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

If true, would that be 4 players from that squad who've done that over the last year? Yikes.

I wonder if Villa Talk has done 20 pages on how Emery’s training methods endanger knee ligaments.