The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

29 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Finishing in top six and not embarrassing ourselves in CLwould be progress and finishing 4th again so getting CL again would be huge progress. Last season we achieved something well ahead of schedule and are struggling at the moment financially so if by per chance we don’t get top four I hope people don’t start seeing it as a failure.

It would not be failure, but it would also not be the progress that our owners intend, and they do INTEND (not 'hope') to make progress each season.

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Correct, ideally finishing 1st, but that will be difficult for anyone to achieve, apart from Man City of course.

Oof.  You’re setting yourself up for disappointment mate.  Try not to get too radged up at the players / management if it doesn’t happen. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Oof.  You’re setting yourself up for disappointment mate.  Try not to get too radged up at the players / management if it doesn’t happen. 

I am surprised you would use those words in relation to me.

All I am saying is what our owners intend to happen and (consequently) what I expect will happen.

Edited by manorpark

21 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I am surprised you would use those words in relation to me.

All I am saying is what our owners intend to happen and (consequently) what I expect will happen.

My worry is that those with unrealistic expectations are more likely to become more critical than those who aren’t.

Apologies, didn’t mean it as a personal insult

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ve not attacked the transfer market like we need to 4 again - so far.  

Still plenty of time left yet and it hasn't been bad so far.  Another 2 (maybe even 1 depending on the player) good signings can take it from a decent window to excellent.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My worry is that those with unrealistic expectations are more likely to become more critical than those who aren’t.

Apologies, didn’t mean it as a personal insult

No problem mate

Though I do not have any 'unrealistic' expectations, just knowing our owners I have the appropriate realistic expectations, as I always have had about them.

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This is sooo gonna happen if we don’t - going to be like ASM thread meltdown levels.

I don't think it comes down to our owners ambition or what they want. The FFP situation just makes it really tricky. Ignoring Brighton and Villa for now we are competing against 6 clubs who can outspend us in terms of fees and wages for players. 

Last season we overachieved and pushed our squad to its absolute limit. You can't just bring in a couple of extra players and expect to 'progress' against the sides above and around you when they are improving their squads even further. 

It could end up being an even bigger challenge to finish top 6 this season than it was top 4 last. So I hope the majority of fans aren't daft enough to use last season as a yardstick of what constitutes a good season this year. 

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I don't think it comes down to our owners ambition or what they want. The FFP situation just makes it really tricky. Ignoring Brighton and Villa for now we are competing against 6 clubs who can outspend us in terms of fees and wages for players. 

Last season we overachieved and pushed our squad to its absolute limit. You can't just bring in a couple of extra players and expect to 'progress' against the sides above and around you when they are improving their squads even further. 

It could end up being an even bigger challenge to finish top 6 this season than it was top 4 last. So I hope the majority of fans aren't daft enough to use last season as a yardstick of what constitutes a good season this year. 

I was gonna type something very similar (same message) but couldn’t be arsed

6 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Needs pinned this. Not on here but on the forheads of some of our whoppers. Printed backwards so they can read it in the mirror when they're squeezing their acne

8 hours ago, NWMag said:

This should really be the top fiveometer this season seeing as the PL is pretty much nailed on for an extra CL spot

Given they’re only using a one year coefficient to determine who gets the extra places, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s nailed on.

It wouldn’t take that much of a poor season for our teams to perform slightly less well overall than the Italian and Spanish teams.

Having said that, history dictates it’ll almost certainly be two out of England, Italy and Spain, so you’d take those odds.

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is it not based on the previous year?

For CL 24/25, it’s based on what happens in 23/24 season.

So you could get a scenario where the result of the CL final is critical to which countries have the two best coefficients, meaning the domestic season is done, you’ve finished 5th, but you won’t know for a week or two whether you’ve made CL.