The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

It's also quite telling that despite Howe remaining grounded and never mention it, both Botman and Wilson have openly came out and mentioned the Champions League recently.

Belief is the main drive here. We seen in the second half of the second leg of the semi against Southampton that the pressured (seemed to) got to us a tad, but that was in the middle of our 'poor' run.

I said it at the time but I think the Forest win before the international break was our biggest win of the season. Late winner going into a 2 week break is huge. 

Hopefully we can come out of this tough mini-run with 5pts + then sets us up nicely for what I believe will be the biggest game at St James' for many a year against Spurs.

Everyone looks fresh and rejuvenated again, and we now have a decent bench to call upon. Keep everyone fit and we can do this. I've never really believed all season - mainly due to my Ashley hangover seeming everlasting - that we can do it, but Sunday done a lot to convince me that we can. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

It's also quite telling that despite Howe remaining grounded and never mention it, both Botman and Wilson have openly came out and mentioned the Champions League recently.

Belief is the main drive here. We seen in the second half of the second leg of the semi against Southampton that the pressured (seemed to) got to us a tad, but that was in the middle of our 'poor' run.

I said it at the time but I think the Forest win before the international break was our biggest win of the season. Late winner going into a 2 week break is huge. 

Hopefully we can come out of this tough mini-run with 5pts + then sets us up nicely for what I believe will be the biggest game at St James' for many a year against Spurs.

Everyone looks fresh and rejuvenated again, and we now have a decent bench to call upon. Keep everyone fit and we can do this. I've never really believed all season - mainly due to my Ashley hangover seeming everlasting - that we can do it, but Sunday done a lot to convince me that we can. 

Howe's never played down the chances of CL football either. He won't talk it up, but he's never come out and said we aren't going for it. He's careful what he says, but you can read between the lines he's got CL qualification in his sights.

4 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

The fact Liverpool looked pretty shit in 20/21 then scraped in the Top 4 with their keeper scoring a 95th minute winner along the way still gives me the creeps.

Going 10pts clear of them with a win tonight should keep them at arms length for the remaining games. 

One way of looking at it is, if we win tonight, between now and the end of the season are Liverpool going to get 11 more points than us? Not a chance imo.

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

One way of looking at it is, if we win tonight, between now and the end of the season are Liverpool going to get 11 more points than us? Not a chance imo.

Definitely agree there. I do think they'll beat Arsenal based upon absolutely no logic, then they have Leeds away on a Monday night which is very difficult.

They are the team I fear most though :lol: honestly no idea why, I know they're shit.

1 minute ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Definitely agree there. I do think they'll beat Arsenal based upon absolutely no logic, then they have Leeds away on a Monday night which is very difficult.

They are the team I fear most though :lol: honestly no idea why, I know they're shit.

Agree with you on them beating Arsenal but away from home they're absolutely feeble and will continue to drop points there. 3 away wins all season, so annoying that we were one of them.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree with you on them beating Arsenal but away from home they're absolutely feeble and will continue to drop points there. 3 away wins all season, so annoying that we were one of them.

Most pissed off (and pissed FWIW) at a home game this season. It was during their OK phase and our 'poor' phase of season, week before final too, but we were annoyingly good with 10 men. Timing couldn't have been worse. Was buzzing when it was announced as 17:30 too.

However if we beat the cunts to Top 4 I'll remember the pain of that day and the 90+8 game in August as I @ loads of scousers on twitter.

7 hours ago, Froggy said:

3rd Rod. I had us dropping points to Spurs, Villa, Brighton, West Ham and Chelsea while beating Brentford, Everton, Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth and Fulham.

Seems realistic. Though think Brentford will give you a hard game and often more difficult than it should be against teams fighting against relegation. 

It's probably a pessimistic view at this stage but I'm sticking 5/10, a 50/50 chance. I believe in the team and am proud of them either way but there's still relatively little room for error.

We've been laughing at how shit Spurs have been by their standards most of this season, and yet they're still breathing down our necks despite the fact we've pulled out a comparatively fantastic season. One slip up and suddenly we're chasing again.

Until we've made the games in hand count and actually start pulling clear my brain is simply too wired towards expecting a negative outcome. I pray to all the Gods I don't believe in that I'm proven wrong.

7 hours ago, Froggy said:

It won't play out that way mind. :lol: Stomach is already doing cartwheels about the game tonight. It's a must win.

True if we were that good at predicting football results we'd be rich enough not to work.

27 minutes ago, wormy said:

It's probably a pessimistic view at this stage but I'm sticking 5/10, a 50/50 chance. I believe in the team and am proud of them either way but there's still relatively little room for error.

We've been laughing at how shit Spurs have been by their standards most of this season, and yet they're still breathing down our necks despite the fact we've pulled out a comparatively fantastic season. One slip up and suddenly we're chasing again.

Until we've made the games in hand count and actually start pulling clear my brain is simply too wired towards expecting a negative outcome. I pray to all the Gods I don't believe in that I'm proven wrong.

On the other hand, can a bad team continue to pick up points at the rate they have despite not being very good? 

It’s going to be interesting for sure. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I think Liverpool are still the biggest danger, just because they have the highest ceiling in terms of pedigree and players coming back and the best squad and experience. Their Arsenal game is massive because a win there would give them a massive lift. Just takes three of those weekends where they've got Southampton or Forest and we've got Arsenal or Chelsea, and they have the easiest run in of everyone. 

11 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I think Liverpool are still the biggest danger, just because they have the highest ceiling in terms of pedigree and players coming back and the best squad and experience. Their Arsenal game is massive because a win there would give them a massive lift. Just takes three of those weekends where they've got Southampton or Forest and we've got Arsenal or Chelsea, and they have the easiest run in of everyone. 

Same thing could have been said a few weeks ago to be fair. They had players coming back and went out and hammered Man Utd 7-0. They haven't won a game since it. 

I just don't see us dropping more points than Man United and Spurs. Man United perhaps, if they get back on a good run with Casemiro back. 

If we finish 5th I won't be disappointed with the season but I'd be slightly disappointed that we hadn't got more points than Spurs, considering the position we are in.

5 minutes ago, Decky said:

Same thing could have been said a few weeks ago to be fair. They had players coming back and went out and hammered Man Utd 7-0. They haven't won a game since it. 

They beat Wolves 2-0 in their next match, then drew 0-0 away to Chelsea. 

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

They lost 1-0 to Bournemouth, 4-1 to City and then drew 0-0 with Chelsea since the 7-0. Wolves was before the Man Utd game. 

Edited by Decky

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

The Wolves match was before the 7-0. They've lost to Bournemouth, then Man City, then drawn with Chelsea since then.

1 minute ago, Decky said:

Very true. We've waited all season for them to turn a corner. I just think the the quality of returning players like Diaz, Jota, plus Gakpo or Nunez potentially finding their feet and showing some form, it just takes a couple of them to hit their stride or some dodgy decisions to pull them out of trouble. I think they're no worse than Spurs this season with more potential, and Man U are now entering the business end of Europa League and FA Cup with decent opposition. That's why I'd keep an eye on Liverpool perhaps the most.

If we assume Man U are going to finish top four, then I would say Spurs have to be our biggest rivals simply because they are the ones who are still in touch points-wise, Liverpool are a long way behind so at least we have a very nice cushion there.

40 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Yep Liverpool the main danger with the run in they have , said it for a few months now but if we finish above them we get top 4 100%.

If they win 8 out of 10 then they finish on 67-69 points. That'll take some effort. Think they'll finish around 64ish. Long as we get to about 68-69 ourselves. 

Knocking spurs out the CL would be v useful for longer term prospects. Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea will always have bags of cash, attract players and be competitive but spurs could struggle. Ultimately if you want Newcastle to sit in the top 6 or 4 consistently it helps if one of the others implodes a bit