The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Martinez and Lindelof just ruled out for a month. It wouldn't be a write off for Gateshead.

If we had no injuries I'd have us as favourites, but not the way we are on at the moment. Oh and one league win there since 1972.

Edited by Beth

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Martinez and Lindelof just ruled out for a month. It wouldn't be a write off for Gateshead.

They are back when we play you.

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

We will play you May 14th

I would have thought it would be a midweek spot in April, unless you know something I don't. Either way, I doubt Martinez will be back this season. If it is played May 14th, you'll have some players back too so it's a moot point.

Regardless of all the above, it's anything but a write off. :lol:

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I would have thought it would be a midweek spot in April, unless you know something I don't. Either way, I doubt Martinez will be back this season. If it is played May 14th, you'll have some players back too so it's a moot point.

Regardless of all the above, it's anything but a write off. :lol:

Yeah it will be that midweek 100%, hopefully Pope is back by then. 

47 minutes ago, TRC said:

Opta still have us most likely to finish 7th.

Getting that win over the line yesterday would have had me full of confidence, but we can’t seem to string two wins together (haven’t done it since end of November).

1 hour ago, TRC said:

Opta still have us most likely to finish 7th.

Are Opta aware the training ground is basically the RVI atm? :lol:

35 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Getting that win over the line yesterday would have had me full of confidence, but we can’t seem to string two wins together (haven’t done it since end of November).

It was really important considering Everton were one of the games against the bottom six teams we have left. We showed we have enough in the first 11 to win against the lower teams, but over a full game we just don't have a bench which will see us through. A win last night would have given us some much needed breathing room.

some really big swing games in the race. Chelsea vs Man U and Brentford vs Brighton tonight/tomorrow are pretty big as there is only going to be 2 points between us and those teams either way.

I think we all have to be Man U fans sadly.

We were never going to finish above Man United with the injuries we have even before the Everton game ,them beating Chelsea tonight is the best result for us . 7th should be the target and that will be a good season after everything that has happened . Looking at the fixtures we have a much more favourable run in than West Ham and Brighton so no reason why we won't finish above them even with injuries . 

Edited by Geogaddi

28 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Villa and spurs have 4/5th locked down, just be interesting who gets 5th and the difference in prize money

It'll be current top 3 (in any order), Villa/Spurs, Man Utd 6th then us/Brighton/West Ham/Chelsea fighting for 7th/8th. Just got to finish top of that league of four.

We're now 4th in Expected Points on Understat: https://understat.com/league/EPL

CL confirmed!

Man Utd 14th. The one thing they've got going for them in finishing 6th is they've somehow already got points on the board. But this current incarnation are a solidly mid-table team. They're by no means a shoe in for 6th.

11 minutes ago, Cf said:

CL confirmed!

Man Utd 14th. The one thing they've got going for them in finishing 6th is they've somehow already got points on the board. But this current incarnation are a solidly mid-table team. They're by no means a shoe in for 6th.

Is just something about Man United, you watch them play and its hard to see what they are even trying to do, like they have no game plan or tactics or anything really and just sort of make it up as they go along, yet they still somehow keep picking up points and have ended up 6th in the league and a likely FA cup final. I know that's not even the bare minimum for them with the money they have spent but I would be delighted with 6th and a cup final.

Edited by Geogaddi

10 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Is just something about Man United, you watch them play and its hard to see what they are even trying to do, like they have no game plan or tactics or anything really and just sort of make it up as they go along, yet they still somehow keep picking up points and have ended up 6th in the league.

It was the same last season and they somehow managed to end up 3rd.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Is just something about Man United, you watch them play and its hard to see what they are even trying to do, like they have no game plan or tactics or anything really and just sort of make it up as they go along, yet they still somehow keep picking up points and have ended up 6th in the league and a likely FA cup final.

It's something you keep hearing, but the style of play is clear. We defend on the front foot and our high transitions are one of the best in the league if not the best. Our starting position is the highest in the league just ahead of Arsenal and City.

Now, the issue is that the style of play doesn't fucking work with the players we have. A press like the one ETH is trying to implement needs 11 players busting their gut. As soon as you play someone like Rashford, the entire plan falls down like a house of cards. As soon as teams break through the press, we're immediately outnumbered and give away a shit ton of chances.

ETH knows this, and continues to play this way. He's openly said in interviews that he doesn't mind giving up so many chances as he believes them to be "low quality chances."

What ends up happening is Bruno and Garnacho end up covering twice the distance they should be and end up knackered. Casemiro also doesn't have the legs for this style. He's insisting with it anyway. He might get another summer to buy players to fit into this style a bit better, but at the minute it just doesn't work.

The players are doing exactly what Ten Hag wants. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

@Froggy

Do you still think you can get top five or is it beyond you now?

No it's definitely gone now. Not that I think Spurs or Villa are that good, but we're far too inconsistent. 

We play Chelsea and Liverpool this week and if we won both I wouldn't be surprised. If we lost both 5-0 I wouldn't be surprised.

45 minutes ago, Cf said:

CL confirmed!

They’re a shoe-in for 6th.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They’re a shoe-in for 6th.  

I really don't know how you can say this. :lol: Especially given the two fixtures we have this week.

I feel like every time I've watched Man United over the past 2 seasons I've actually rarely seen them be the better team - even in games they won. Obviously don't watch every game, but they seem so easy to play against. But then they finished 3rd, won a trophy (and got to another final) and are likely to finish 6th with a semi-final to come. It's mad.

However, I don't think it will be long before they're actually really challenging again. It only takes a couple of windows and the right manager, although the right manager is hard to find. Doesn't seem to be any outstanding candidates that would be available, but having a structure above ETH will naturally help.

We've had a ton of injuries over the last 18 months as well to be fair. That's not going to get much sympathy on here and rightly so, but you know as well as I do how detrimental that is to a team.

Martinez is arguably their best player, he's missed virtually the entire season. 

I don't rate ETH, I think he's a fraud but one half inspiring manager with a couple of sensible signings would see Man United ticking again.

Their recruitment has been dog awful and that won't continue. 

Job number one for a new manager would be firing Rashford from a cannon and sending a message that selfishness won't be tolerated.