The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

It sounds like Postecoglou is concentrating on instilling his basic strategy, which is to play an all-action aggressive style, with a big effort to squeeze the space and recover any lost possession far up the pitch. 

It worked very well at first, but a team is liable to pick up more than its fair share of injuries and cards, and may run out of steam later on in the season. And when the pressure comes on in the final stages of the season, you may need more strings to your bow.

The thought is that Postecoglou will later develop his team's capacity for other strategies, as situations change in a match, and to suit different opponents. At the moment, it's the cavalry charge, but are his players starting to want something more? 

13 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

There’s a good chance that we will be 4 behind Spurs before they play again with 2 absolute stinkers for them in a row. 

that would really put some pressure on them.

If can see it only being one win that separates us at the end of the season

If we win out we get 5th. Although that is a tough task!

18 hours ago, Mazzy said:

The only chance we have really of qualifying for UCL this season is if 5th spot gets it and Spurs really fuck up. I can see one of those things happening potentially but that 5th spot being UCL is looking very unlikely.

It is a shame about the extra UCL spot but hopefully Man City will win the FA Cup and 6th would get us Europa League. Would be hard to swallow to see Man Utd or Chelsea win the FA Cup and get Europa League whilst we finish above them and end up with Conference League.

5th being CL is not very unlikely, it’s tight. Will have much better idea after this week. 

8 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

5th being CL is not very unlikely, it’s tight. Will have much better idea after this week. 

Relying on Arsenal in April is not ideal mind.

18 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We could have done without Chelsea starting to put a run together. Some tough fixtures to come thankfully. 

Thi has been my fear for months. 

That Burnley draw a couple weeks back gave me confidence.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, The College Dropout said:

What's the gap between Conference and Europa in terms of finances?

The Conference League is exciting because we'll likely be one of the favourites.

Europa is exciting because it's more prestigious and has 2 rewards.

Villa will get around 12.5 million for winning the conference league, they have so far earned around 5 million. Not sure what the earnings for europa are.

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Villa will get around 12.5 million for winning the conference league, they have so far earned around 5 million. Not sure what the earnings for europa are.

That £12.5m is just the prize money portion. It's an estimate but West Ham got approx £19-20m in total for the Conference League. The year before they got about £27m from reaching the Europa League semifinal.

Arsenal got about £21m from last season's Europa League Round of 16. 

Palace won't be easy. If we play like we did at Fulham, we could have a hill to climb. I'm sure we can/will get something but it's far from a banker.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Palace won't be easy. If we play like we did at Fulham, we could have a hill to climb. I'm sure we can/will get something but it's far from a banker.

Mid table away games are always the underrated how hard they are. Them and Brentford are out hardest remaining games imo, as I know we will be bang up for Man U away

31 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

This article says abput £20m for winning Europa League and £13m for winning the Conference League. Obviously there's matchday income to go on top presumably, 3x home group games plus potentially a R16, QF and SF, could easily add another £20m?

Didn't I read somewhere that we got like £4.5m for the CL this season?

Granted we didn't win, and much was down to coefficients, but it seems mad that we'd very likely get way more for a lower-value competition.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Granted we didn't win, and much was down to coefficients, but it seems mad that we'd very likely get way more for a lower-value competition.

I think that was just for our results, so two draws and a win. You get a lump sum of about €15m for qualifying for the groups I think. Then there is the added match day revenue. 

22 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

19 minutes ago, Decky said:

I think that was just for our results, so two draws and a win. You get a lump sum of about €15m for qualifying for the groups I think. Then there is the added match day revenue. 

This is what Swiss Ramble calculated;

According to figures presented by football finance expert Swiss Ramble, Newcastle have earned €33m (£28.4m) from their Champions League adventure. A participation fee of €15.6m (£13.4m) was only added to by one win (each worth €2.8m in the Champions League) and two draws (worth €930,000 to clubs). That made for a sum of €4.9m (£4.21m).

Bumping the overall sum up for Howe’s men is the €7.9m (£6.79m) share of the TV market pool and €4.5m from the UEFA coefficient. For context, Manchester City received €22.3m (£19.17m) and €33m (£28.4m) for these, respectively.

That means that Newcastle’s Champions League adventure amounted to around €33m (£28.4m)

Thanks for sharing. Roughly Tonali amortisef transfer and wages for 2 seasons then.

That's a lot of revenue to lose entirely. Which is why any European football is so important. A deep run in the Europa might net you half that?

Man City get more of the pot because of their co-efficient right? Wow. The game is so rigged.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

This article says abput £20m for winning Europa League and £13m for winning the Conference League. Obviously there's matchday income to go on top presumably, 3x home group games plus potentially a R16, QF and SF, could easily add another £20m?

Not a monumental difference, then. 

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Thanks for sharing. Roughly Tonali amortisef transfer and wages for 2 seasons then.

That's a lot of revenue to lose entirely. Which is why any European football is so important. A deep run in the Europa might net you half that?

Man City get more of the pot because of their co-efficient right? Wow. The game is so rigged.

I can't remember the exact figures but Man Utd, who also finished bottom of their group with a worse record than ours, got a larger share of the pot than we did.

Edit - Here is the article

Edited by Keegans Export

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

This is just prize money. All three competitions have the same revenue components: participation, coefficient, TV pool, and performance prize. Then there's the additional matchday income as you said.

Very roughly speaking I think a Europa League R16 appearance would be approximately equal to winning the Conference League.

One other pretty sizable difference is in coefficient points. Both give 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw from the group stage onwards (same as CL). But the Europa League bonuses are double the points -- 4 for group winners (vs. 2), 2 for group runners-up (vs. 1), and 1 for every knockout round (vs. only 1 point bonuses for SF/Final).