Edson Arantes do Nascimento - 1940-2022

Flip

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

nee ones perfect and like Ali, that made him more likeable.

him and Ali my all time sporting heroes.

Definitely, what made them stand out was their humanity for other people and how they used their excellence in their sport to good effect to help humanity. Ali and Pele are the goat of their respective sports for me and arguably two of the greatest ever sports people full stop. 

Watching some of the old footage again, what has struck me is that, for a stocky, muscular guy, he was remarkably light on his feet. In his goal celebrations, he was skipping and jumping like a little kid. 

8 hours ago, Cronky said:

Watching some of the old footage again, what has struck me is that, for a stocky, muscular guy, he was remarkably light on his feet. In his goal celebrations, he was skipping and jumping like a little kid. 

Every time I watch highlights of Pele I get more and more impressed. The greatest of all time debate can go on, but he’s without a doubt the most complete footballer ever. Guy could do everything, even played goalkeeper four different times and never conceded. 

Also, in other Pele related news: Conmebol has apparently ordered a minute of silence for every game of the Libertadores until and including the last round of 16 (weird moment to stop it). In addition, Infantino suggests that Fifa will recommend that every nation names a stadium after Pele (highly doubt Argentina or even European countries will do that) and the Port of Santos (the largest port in South America) will be named Porto Pele. 

6 minutes ago, Flip said:

Every time I watch highlights of Pele I get more and more impressed. The greatest of all time debate can go on, but he’s without a doubt the most complete footballer ever. Guy could do everything, even played goalkeeper four different times and never conceded. 

Also, in other Pele related news: Conmebol has apparently ordered a minute of silence for every game of the Libertadores until and including the last round of 16 (weird moment to stop it). In addition, Infantino suggests that Fifa will recommend that every nation names a stadium after Pele (highly doubt Argentina or even European countries will do that) and the Port of Santos (the largest port in South America) will be named Porto Pele. 

There has and always will be great footballers, before and after Pele, but my god, again, he did things with a ball for the first time at 15 or 17 we recognise today even from average players.

Again every trick, piece of skill or flair my boy displays as a 9 year old on his 7-aside pitch comes from Pele and he knows it, I know it and we all should. He was remarkable and I’m not even Brazilian, but this one hurts and I like what my mate said the other day, Pele didn’t score over 1000 goals, he scored millions and millions because every kid in his era and even after he stopped playing wanted to be, picked themselves as and pretended to be Pele and every goal they scored was as Pele.

That’s his legacy, my boy knows who he is, acknowledges he’s either the GOAT or one of them and again every trick, skill or bit of flair comes from that great great footballer. The King for me!

It’s a sad time for your nation and people Flip, but yous have been blessed with having someone like him play for and represent your country.

Wonder what bits of magic he did that were never caught on film?  He was the complete player, the quick feet of a Messi, the balance and strength of a Maradona and leap/ heading prowess of a CRonaldo. 

I’m sure he had some stinkers but just imagine what had been missed and what we’d have seen with today’s tech.

35 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“FIFA will ask every country in the world to name a stadium in honour of Pele, its president Gianni Infantino said on Monday.”

Sounds mental to be honest...