Edson Arantes do Nascimento - 1940-2022

Flip

28 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Best player ever for me, in an era where defenders could kick him to bits his goal scoring record was mental.

RIP Legend.

When couting goals and assist (goal participation) he is the most prolific ever for club and country, avg above 1.3 on both. Messi for example has around 1.1 in club and 0.89 in country.

26 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I don't think anyone coommes close in revolutionzing the game as he did, and this in a time where players could get away with taking his legs out (which was literally the only way to stop him). This is why he will alwayuus be the greatest for me.

He did it all, before the other greats

Edited by JNK

Used to watch Escape to Victory just for Pele because footage of him was so hard to come by, but the mythology around him was so big that you wanted to see as much of him as you could.

Will forever be one of the big 3 contenders for the greatest of all time. RIP.

Edited by Kid Icarus

18 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

He played on arguably the best club team in the world.

Didn't Pele's Santos regularly demolish European clubs when they went on tours and in the intercontinental cup? From memory, I know they destroyed Eusebio's Benfica 5-2 at Benfica in the Intercontinental cup final. 

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I saw something the other day trying to show that as old football being shite. Bollocks.

there might be something to this tbh. I was watching England v Scotland 1970, about a year ago. Couldn’t believe I was watching players who are now legend of the game genuinely looked poor. With the exception of Bobby Moore who was breathtakingly good.

10 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

If this had gone in, it would have been a contender for the greatest goal of all time. Just the sheer guts to try this dummy in a world cup quarter-final. Yes, there have been other goals with more elaborate skills but sometimes, the simple ones are the best. 

Pele was not just an icon of football. You can travel to remote rural areas in India, people who have not potentially watched a single game of football. Show them a photo of Pele and they would recognize him. He was an icon of sports.

Tostao's ball was a thing of beauty as well.

32 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

If this had gone in, it would have been a contender for the greatest goal of all time. Just the sheer guts to try this dummy in a world cup quarter-final. Yes, there have been other goals with more elaborate skills but sometimes, the simple ones are the best. 

Pele was not just an icon of football. You can travel to remote rural areas in India, people who have not potentially watched a single game of football. Show them a photo of Pele and they would recognize him. He was an icon of sports.

You can find on YT that dummy but with an alternate commentary. It's the "what....what genius" one which was obligatory to shout when you done anything good when playing footy with your mates.

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

image.thumb.png.cb244a691a5e23270b0c20a612284882.png

no one has ever come close to these two  in terms of charisma and their effect on people outside of sport.

geniuses ahead of their time.

My two fave all time sports people outside of NUFC players like KK, Cole, Shearer and wee Hughie! They did so much in terms of civil rights and the fight against racism and discrimination, great human beings. I’m currently just watching anything I can about Pele, with tears in my eyes, even when I wasn’t into football as a kid I knew the name of Pele and knew he must have been special when your dad, uncles and every other elder basically said the best there ever has been and ever will be was Pele!

The legacy Pelé leaves behind is enormous, but I still can’t stop thinking of what Brazil as a country would’ve been like without him. We are considered the country of the beautiful game despite not inventing the sport, nor being the best at it since 1970’s. For 12+ years he enchanted the world, but also created the legend of the yellow shirt and inspired future generations of talent. Before him there was no Brazil in world football, and actually quite possibly no world football the way we know it today. The first and only King of the game! 

Every trick, skill, piece of flair and imagination my 9 year old shows when he plays football which he has quite a range of from the chop, the rebarno, stopovers, the so-called Cruyff or Maradona turn and spin, the elastico etc., Pele basically invented all them and gifted the world of football and future payers that otherwise we’d still be watching players just kick and run, kick and rush. There has been many a great player, but Pele was the fucking OG!

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

The legacy Pelé leaves behind is enormous, but I still can’t stop thinking of what Brazil as a country would’ve been like without him. We are considered the country of the beautiful game despite not inventing the sport, nor being the best at it since 1970’s. For 12+ years he enchanted the world, but also created the legend of the yellow shirt and inspired future generations of talent. Before him there was no Brazil in world football, and actually quite possibly no world football the way we know it today. The first and only King of the game! 

That’s why Brazil is my 3rd fave footballing team behind NUFC and England and my first real taste of Brazil was USA ‘94 having grown up of tails of all the legends, inspired by Pele and I was absolutely in awe of Romario for example. The game has changed and Brazil are not quite that mesmerising team of individuals and flair and probably never will be again, but there is no nation on the earth that produce players quite like Brazil in terms of that unique flair and that’s mostly down to Pele.

48 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

There's a blast from the past, forgot about that one. Sheer genius.

He's always been a legend to me anyway, he's done more than pass into legendhood now.

Someone well before my time but a name on the wind, images amd mythology.

When he was on Match of the Day during the Umbro Cup in 1995, the esteem the presenter (Tony Gubba) and analyst (I think it was Lineker) held him in was vivid, it was like Jesus (or an alternative) was sitting there - which to people who love football he practically is.

I'll always have Studio Pele on Eurosport during the 94 World Cup and backing Colombia based on Pele's recommendation.

This is perhaps best for him, but selfishly, I feel saddened.

Thank You sir.

56 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

there might be something to this tbh. I was watching England v Scotland 1970, about a year ago. Couldn’t believe I was watching players who are now legend of the game genuinely looked poor. With the exception of Bobby Moore who was breathtakingly good.

The Don Bradman theory perhaps. Where the players/teams that were poor in older times are a lot better now and the players/teams that were good then are better than anything around now. So it levels out into a middlingness in contemporary times.