Anthony Gordon

Jack27

23 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Get rid of all this cancel shit off this particular thread, further Snowflakes is nowt new certain cultures were being called it by other cultures in the 70's see Love they Neighbour 

That’s quite a leap, ‘The Leap’

He shouldn't have reacted the way he did and it would be nice if he would come out with some sort of apology. Players don't like being substituted no matter what the reason is. Wilson has looked seriously pissed off at times when he has been taken off especially if he's on for a hat trick.

Eddie will deal with it and if he's not happy with the response then Gordon will remain on the bench.

Lee Clark kicked a bucket and John Beresford called the manager a cunt (lip read easily by the viewing public) when Keegan subbed them.  Players reacting badly to being subbed tactically is almost as old as tactical substitutions.  Gordon overreacted but the readings into his character - or Howe’s thinking - are stretching it.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Lee Clark kicked a bucket and John Beresford called the manager a cunt (lip read easily by the viewing public) when Keegan subbed them.  Players reacting badly to being subbed tactically is almost as old as tactical substitutions.  Gordon overreacted but the readings into his character - or Howe’s thinking - are stretching it.  

Spot on. 

Keegan bollocked both of them, threatening to sell Clark, dropping Beresford, never speaking to him again while he was manager, and then bringing it up with him years later ("You're not going to tell me to fuck off are you?") 

It was just as big a deal then imo. I'm sure Howe will deal with it.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Keegan bollocked both of them, threatening to sell Clark, dropping Beresford, never speaking to him again while he was manager, and then bringing it up with him years later ("You're not going to tell me to fuck off are you?") 

It was just as big a deal then imo. I'm sure Howe will deal with it.

He was still picking Beresford after that Villa game.  He’d have been hard pushed to do that and ignore him at the same time.

Different times, of course.  

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Lee Clark kicked a bucket and John Beresford called the manager a cunt (lip read easily by the viewing public) when Keegan subbed them.  Players reacting badly to being subbed tactically is almost as old as tactical substitutions.  Gordon overreacted but the readings into his character - or Howe’s thinking - are stretching 

And did Keegan react the way you and others are doing; playing it down and attributing it to youth, passion and character or did he recognise it was a cuntish thing to do and acted as such? 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

And did Keegan react the way you and others are doing; playing it down and attributing it to youth, passion and character or did he recognise it was a cuntish thing to do and acted as such? 

No, his reaction was as outlined by KI.  But that doesn’t mean that it was the right reaction, nor the one which would work in 2023.

Lee Clark also didn't cost £40million! I think it would take a lot more than a "get off me" to deliberately squander that level of investment. I think the days of disproportionately ostracising players are thankfully, mostly, in the past. 

Incidentally: "I’ve got no problem. Anthony is a passionate boy. He wants to do well, but there was seconds left on the clock and we wanted to get Matty (Ritchie) on because Anthony was holding his ankle.

“He just needs to control his emotions in that moment, but there are no problems."

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He was still picking Beresford after that Villa game.  He’d have been hard pushed to do that and ignore him at the same time.

Different times, of course.  

From the horse's mouth like, don't think Bez gains anything from making it up. Bez didn’t play for the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

From the horse's mouth like, don't think Bez gains anything from making it up. Bez didn’t play for the rest of the season.

There was only two games left.  Beresford started the Charity Shield two months later and remained a regular under Keegan after that.  Footballers like a tall tale, Bez in particular is a story teller. 

There's a few ways the Gordon situation can be taken and many fans will take certain sides to the argument. I prefer to think Gordon was just fuming over being subbed on and then subbed off and took it as an insult, especially after playing well.

What he should've looked at was the position Eddie Howe was filling and the reasons for the obvious change for simply running down the clock.

However, Gordon won't have thought anything like that in the actual heat of the battle out there but I'm sure many words will have been said between Gordon, Howe and the staff and it's likely resolved with the focus being set right back onto the next game v Villa.

If...and I say IF.... Gordon has further issue then he'll simply be moved on at the end of the season and we'll likely lose a small amount of the fee we paid. But I don't think it'll come to any of that as it does nobody any favours.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There was only two games left.  Beresford started the Charity Shield two months later and remained a regular under Keegan after that.  Footballers like a tall tale, Bez in particular is a story teller. 

4 games, not to mention he was subbed for the back chat in the first place, but I think you might be working backwards from a conclusion a bit here :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

FWIW I've heard several accounts of the Bez story from both him and others who were at the club at the time & the story is consistent with the well-known version (dropped, blanked by KK, Bez buckles down in pre-season & KK lets him back in).

Whether the bit where Bez calls him 10 years later and he says "mind your language!" or whatever is true may just be a bit of extra flavour from the guy himself :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

4 games, not to mention he was subbed for the back chat in the first place, but I think you might be working backwards from a conclusion a bit here :lol:

Sorry, you’re right.  Gordon is a cunt and should be kicked out of the club unless he makes a grovelling apology :) 

In all seriousness, I never felt KK handled either particularly well.  The point I was making was more that these incidents are not the result of modern players being spoilt, but have always occurred, and it is up to the manager how they handle it.  People are making massive leaps about Gordon’s character, but they didn’t with Beresford or Clark.  

Most players subbed on and then subbed off will get the hump, it's one of those things as a player you find kind of upsetting, even in park football. 

Eddie will deal with in the right way, not that there's anything to deal with anyhoo. Nothing to see and we move on to Villa away.

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sorry, you’re right.  Gordon is a cunt and should be kicked out of the club unless he makes a grovelling apology :) 

In all seriousness, I never felt KK handled either particularly well.  The point I was making was more that these incidents are not the result of modern players being spoilt, but have always occurred, and it is up to the manager how they handle it.  People are making massive leaps about Gordon’s character, but they didn’t with Beresford or Clark.  

Modern players spoiled or are modern fans fannies? Forensically analysing a young dumb full of cum 20 year old having a brief tantrum is symptomatic of the growing trend of being a massive fanny about everything. Sell him at the end of the season for it? Shit the bed man. 

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Modern players spoiled or are modern fans fannies? Forensically analysing a young dumb full of cum 20 year old having a brief tantrum is symptomatic of the growing trend of being a massive fanny about everything. Sell him at the end of the season for it? Shit the bed man. 

Hope it comes across that I was joking when I said he should be kicked out :) 

It’s all daft tbh.  Yes, Gordon’s tantrum was a bit daft and a bit OTT - but he’s a young lad who was just subbed having came on as one, pumped up from playing during a really tense moment in the game, not anticipating the substitution.  Ideally, he doesn’t react - but plenty would (I probably would, and then would feel daft afterwards).  It is no  black mark against his character, and I’ve no doubt that Howe will have had words.  It isn’t worth a second’s thought, really.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hope it comes across that I was joking when I said he should be kicked out :) 

It’s all daft tbh.  Yes, Gordon’s tantrum was a bit daft and a bit OTT - but he’s a young lad who was just subbed having came on as one, pumped up from playing during a really tense moment in the game, not anticipating the substitution.  Ideally, he doesn’t react - but plenty would (I probably would, and then would feel daft afterwards).  It is no  black mark against his character, and I’ve no doubt that Howe will have had words.  It isn’t worth a second’s thought, really.  

That wasn’t specifically directed at you, but there’s plenty hyperbole flying about there about a storm in a teacup.  Clough once chinned Keane with a punch to the kite for getting mouthy and they were best pals again in no time. I expect he’s having the piss taken mercilessly by his colleagues and Howe has had a word in his ear and it’s all sorted. 

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

That wasn’t specifically directed at you, but there’s plenty hyperbole flying about there about a storm in a teacup.  Clough once chinned Keane with a punch to the kite for getting mouthy and they were best pals again in no time. I expect he’s having the piss taken mercilessly by his colleagues and Howe has had a word in his ear and it’s all sorted. 

Speaking of Clough, he infamously subbed Martin O’Neill in the Charity Shield just after he scored his second goal and was on a hat trick.  A pissed off O’Neill asked why he’d been subbed, to which Clough apparently replied ‘because if I had left you on, we’d have needed two balls - one for you, one for everyone else’.  That was in 1978 - like I said earlier, players being pissed off with tactical subs is as old as tactical subs!