Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

I have no issues with it. The lad has had a big move, struggled to get a lot of minutes and ended up getting frustrated after getting subbed after he came on. 

He’ll learn the reason for the sub, and grow from it. No worries about him whatever.

47 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Apart from Real Madrid vs Chelsea - I haven’t seen many examples of a 4th or 5th sun coming on and making a big impact to swing a tie. 

47 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s most useful when you are 2 or 3 up and want to save a players legs. 

I think you've pretty well answered your own point there. It's as much about what it prevents e.g. exhaustion and 'results that never were' as it is game swinging substitutes.

As managers and squads get better adapted to it there's a lot of scope for fielding two different teams in one match, both operating at peak physical intensity. That's fine if someone likes the basketball type approach to tactics and timeouts, but they're very different games and we'd be losing something in the process.

I don’t really buy the “I like the passion, I understand why he was upset” stuff - it was the 94th minute and and the game lasted 94 minutes. It was thick and petulant, but I trust Howe to put it right.

He was questioned massively about his attitude so you would have thought in a new environment, he would be on his best behaviour. Yesterday was not acceptable and he should have apologised to Howe and the team 100%.

I get people saying it's not a big deal but that's only if it doesn't happen again. If it does, then Howe won't take any shit and won't hesitate to throw him to the reserves like he has done with Fraser. To quote the film 'Goal', ' The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the one on the back'. 

Let's just hope it's the last we will hear about this and Gordon channels his energy in the right way for the foreseeable future. 

He said: “I've got no problem. Anthony is a passionate boy. He wants to do well, but there was seconds left on the clock and we wanted to get Matty on because Anthony was holding his ankle. “He just needs to control his emotions in that moment, but there are no problems.”

[emoji38] this was already posted in this thread. Non issue except on here.

3 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Maybe we should surround his car after the next game and yell at him that he's not fit to wear the shirt. That might help.

[emoji38][emoji38] I hope he scores at Goodison.

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

[emoji38] this was already posted in this thread. Non issue except on here.

[emoji38][emoji38] I hope he scores at Goodison.

He's hardly gonna tell the media it's a big problem is he. Even so, he clearly said he needs to control his emotions. He's young, but he acts like a child and needs to grow up. Nobody else in the squad would react in such a petulant way, and he'll be told it won't be accepted here.

Aye, in a vacuum it's not a big deal but there were a few whispers about him being a bit of a dickhead which makes it slightly more concerning.

A huge reason why we're doing so well under Howe is that it seems like our team spirit is absolutely impeccable so even a hint of someone being a bit difficult is more of a worry to me than it usually would be.

3 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

It'd be more of an issue if he wasn't upset imo, we want the players to want to play.

There were seconds left, it's 100% a stupid and ridiculous reaction by Gordon.

16 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

It'd be more of an issue if he wasn't upset imo, we want the players to want to play.

So all of our other substitutions have been an issue for you? As nobody else has acted like that all season. 

The lads have played as a team all season and even if that meant a sub got subbed for example, it's for the benefit of the team and a tactical decision made by the manager. Regardless of passion or wanting to play, Gordon shouldn't be acting like this, it's petulant and disrespectful to Eddie and his teammates.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

I think you've pretty well answered your own point there. It's as much about what it prevents e.g. exhaustion and 'results that never were' as it is game swinging substitutes.

As managers and squads get better adapted to it there's a lot of scope for fielding two different teams in one match, both operating at peak physical intensity. That's fine if someone likes the basketball type approach to tactics and timeouts, but they're very different games and we'd be losing something in the process.

My point is - it doesn’t really work well in changing the game states.  Like Man U’s subs killed the game for them it just disrupted their flow

So stupid but it is what it is.  Move on.  He will be kicking himself now.  No need for any pile on.  Hopefully he scores against villa and runs over to howe and bows down 🧎‍♂️😃

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

I expect there is some personal pressure on himself and frustration he hasn't cracked the starting line up yet on a regular basis. He has ambition and high expectations. I have no doubt he wants to show everyone he is worth the price tag etc.

Howe is always slow in integrating signings when he can. Injury problems haven't likely helped.

Storm in a tea cup though imo.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

I expect there is some personal pressure on himself and frustration he hasn't cracked the starting line up yet on a regular basis. He has ambition and high expectations. I have no doubt he wants to show everyone he is worth the price tag etc.

Howe is always slow in integrating signings when he can. Injury problems haven't likely helped.

Storm in a tea cup though imo.

To be honest, this is the nasty streak we were promised which hasn't been shown on the pitch yet. Just needs to re-direct his frustrations to the proper place winding up opposition players.

He's got to get on top of that or he's going to be a liability if he can't keep his head. 

Hopefully a few of the more experienced lads can have a word. Fair play to Ritchie trying to support him after the game. 

2 hours ago, CPL said:

He was questioned massively about his attitude so you would have thought in a new environment, he would be on his best behaviour. Yesterday was not acceptable and he should have apologised to Howe and the team 100%.

I get people saying it's not a big deal but that's only if it doesn't happen again. If it does, then Howe won't take any shit and won't hesitate to throw him to the reserves like he has done with Fraser. To quote the film 'Goal', ' The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the one on the back'

Let's just hope it's the last we will hear about this and Gordon channels his energy in the right way for the foreseeable future. 

should be up on the wall in the training ground and the chaning room.