Anthony Gordon

Jack27

24 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He's a right wanker that Sky Sports presenter. Every time Dermot Gallagher is on the show explaining a decision that Rob Wotton is always being a patronising prick and playing up the cameras. Wish Gallagher would just deck him live on air.

[emoji38] 🥊🥊 blam! 

8 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

How many does he need to do for you Lotus? He’s had two goals and two assists in the equivalent time of five full games. 

I did say at the bottom of the post, by the new year. 

Miggy had a very productive half season last year and then his numbers fell off.

I wouldn’t expect the same thing to happen to Gordon if he has good run until Xmas. I think Gordon is a better player. He’s also a lot younger and has a lot more potential to be realised. He seems to have the attitude to do it and everything is moving in the right direction for him. He’ll have dodgy moments and off games and I’m hoping they become fewer and further between. I won’t jump on him if he has an off day. You have to look at the overall trend. So far this season it’s good but it’s not enough data points. 

We all want him to be a world beater but let’s wait for him to do it before crowning him.

Edited by Lotus

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

By the way the rules are interpreted, that's a goal. 

Having said that, there's still something unsatisfactory about the situation, and I wonder if it would be better if refs were allowed to use a bit of common sense, to coin the phrase. A handball may be accidental, but the player might gain a big advantage from it. I think both aspects need to be considered.

In the Arsenal - Spurs pen incident, the defender didn't deliberately handle the ball, but he was rushing out to block what would have been a nailed-on certain goal. A pen felt like the right decision, because the consequences of the handball were huge and obvious, but it didn't real sit with the current focus on 'deliberate'. We may have to accept that we're never going to get complete certainty and consistency in this area.

But I don't get why advantage should be more important than intention. If the ball hits your hand by accident, and then you assist a goal, why should you be penalised for the ball hitting you?

Personally I would have almost no handballs in football, really limited to when someone clearly and deliberately plays the ball with their hand. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I did say at the bottom of the post, by the new year. 

Miggy had a very productive half season last year and then his numbers fell off.

I wouldn’t expect the same thing to happen to Gordon if he has good run until Xmas. I think Gordon is a better player. He’s also a lot younger and has a lot more potential to be realised. He seems to have the attitude to do it and everything is moving in the right direction for him. He’ll have dodgy moments and off games and I’m hoping they become fewer and further between. I won’t jump on him if he has an off day. You have to look at the overall trend. Songwriter this season it’s good but it’s not enough data points. 

We all want him to be a world beater but let’s wait for him to do it before crowning him.

Probably a safer bet to just ‘crown him’, I.e. celebrate what he is regularly doing, now. As you say, form and influence comes and goes. Signs are there though for a cracking ‘break through’ season though. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But I don't get why advantage should be more important than intention. If the ball hits your hand by accident, and then you assist a goal, why should you be penalised for the ball hitting you?

Personally I would have almost no handballs in football, really limited to when someone clearly and deliberately plays the ball with their hand. 

I don't think advantage technically matters, but in reality if the officials are trying to assess whether someone intended to handle the ball whether they gained an advantage from it is relevant to that. Someone isn't going to intentionally do something that doesn't help them and vice versa.

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hmmm but if you look at it from perspective that the hand shouldn't be having any impact on the play and you realise there is a lot of grey area to intention makes it harder but i agree there are too many hand ball infractions. Penalty is 99% of the time a way too harsh punishment. I'd be for direct free kick even in the box with only exception being if it's on the goal line or clearly denies a goal. For the Gordon style offence I'm really not sure I can see both sides 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Probably a safer bet to just ‘crown him’, I.e. celebrate what he is regularly doing, now. As you say, form and influence comes and goes. Signs are there though for a cracking ‘break through’ season though. 

The same would be true if he goes five games and isn't playing well, isn't it? People will then say he's shit and awful.

Judge him over a longer period of time. He'll have peaks and troughs and we'll understand his game much more. 

There's nothing wrong with giving him the credit he deserves, though. But he's still got a long way to go - but it looks like he will get there.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

The same would be true if he goes five games and isn't playing well, isn't it? People will then say he's shit and awful.

Judge him over a longer period of time. He'll have peaks and troughs and we'll understand his game much more. 

There's nothing wrong with giving him the credit he deserves, though. But he's still got a long way to go - but it looks like he will get there.

Thing is though, once you have seen evidence of somebody regularly performing well you know that they can. Not just hope that they might turn the occasional glimpse of potential into something more consistent and reliable.

Form comes and goes for all—much more in than out for the very best, obviously. I’ve seen enough consistency from him to be confident he will fulfil the potential (based on the attributes you’re aware of) he evidently has. He’s looking like an exceptionally good value signing. 

For instance. His goal was fantastic but the miss a few minutes before it was criminal. Top players bury those chances because, on big occasions against top teams they don’t come up often and the best make good on opportunities like that. 

Fwiw, I think it’s clear that Gordon is a better player for us than Maxi. To have him and Barnes competing for wide positions is great for the club. Now we need a natural RWF to balance out our threat. 
Exciting times ahead.

I agree with most of that. I remember discussing with Froggy in the summer even before the massive fall outs that Gordon was better value for money than Antony or Sancho.  He has more to his game than Antony and much better application than Sancho. 

I still want to see if he can pull off RW.  Barnes and him are better footballers than Almiron and Murphy.  

I entirely agree in the sentiments above that he needs judged over a 12/18 month period.

First 6 months was poor, but we now understand why, he wasn't fit enough, neither was Isak by all accounts and I suspect the same transition is going on with Tonali and Barnes (as well as Livramento and Hall to a lesser extent).

More than ever, a settling in period seems important in an Eddie Howe side.

Give a player 6 months with Howe and you become fitter, more confident, better drilled and more rounded. The man works wonders with young (all) players.

Look at Jacob Murphy man. Howe had very little to work with there, and yet he's turned him into a very serviceable squad player, who the fans all trust.

Back to Gordon, these last few games have been unreal and part of me is holding back with praise because I'm expecting a drop off. The longer that drop off takes to materialise the more impressed I will be.

It's what's to come which is exciting to me. If Howe can turn Gordon, a 22 year old, into a good player in 6 months... what can he do over 2 or 3 years?

47 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

His first 6 months were fine, totally normal for a young player moving clubs. We just hated him because he was a little scouse rat who people didn’t like. 

Am I the only one who liked him from the word go? :lol: Not that I thought his performances were exceptional but I thought he came across well (impassioned Brentford flounce aside) and had some canny games - Man Utd (h) springing immediately to mind. 

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with most of that. I remember discussing with Froggy in the summer even before the massive fall outs that Gordon was better value for money than Antony or Sancho.  He has more to his game than Antony and much better application than Sancho. 

I still want to see if he can pull off RW.  Barnes and him are better footballers than Almiron and Murphy.  

I have to say I think there is a good player in Sancho. Maybe not a natural winger but a creative playmaker starting in a wide position.

He needs runners off him though. All good passers do. He had that in abundance at Dortmund with Hakimi and to a lesser extent, Guerreiro. Not sure what’s happened with him at Man U but I’m sure it’s a complex situation that all parties want to resolve. Wish him the best.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

I have to say I think there is a good player in Sancho. Maybe not a natural winger but a creative playmaker starting in a wide position.

He needs runners off him though. All good passers do. He had that in abundance at Dortmund with Hakimi and to a lesser extent, Guerreiro. Not sure what’s happened with him at Man U but I’m sure it’s a complex situation that all parties want to resolve. Wish him the best.

I don’t think the PL is so for him. It’s too intense and physical. He doesn’t fancy that. 

At his best he’s such an elegant footballer. As you say, pass and move. Great technique. He would shine in Serie A. But he doesn’t have that dog in him. Gives up easily. Not a fighter. If he was willing to do the work he would be great in a system team with great movement like Brighton. But he’s the type of lad to bottle a 70/30 in his favour. 

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Am I the only one who liked him from the word go? :lol: Not that I thought his performances were exceptional but I thought he came across well (impassioned Brentford flounce aside) and had some canny games - Man Utd (h) springing immediately to mind. 

Anyone with eyes and a brain could tell he had something about him when he played, even if he didn't hit the ground running. Remember people writing him off in the first half against Soton despite the fact he played well, hit the post and was just generally unlucky. Didn't want us to sign him but now I love him. Opposition fans hating him makes him much more likeable, too.

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think the PL is so for him. It’s too intense and physical. He doesn’t fancy that. 

At his best he’s such an elegant footballer. As you say, pass and move. Great technique. He would shine in Serie A. But he doesn’t have that dog in him. Gives up easily. Not a fighter. If he was willing to do the work he would be great in a system team with great movement like Brighton. But he’s the type of lad to bottle a 70/30 in his favour. 

I remember he fought hard at Dortmund. He had to to cover Guerreiro’s horrendous defensive efforts. That hasn’t carried over to Man U, clearly.

Don’t know why but I hope he can sort it out. 

I think it'd have been criminal to disallow that goal because it deflecting off his arm. The rule is absolutely correct in this case and it should be used in that way more broadly. I think it's ridiculous that such decisive instances as goals and penalties can be disallowed/given because a ball deflect off an arm. Not at all within the spirit of the rules imo to disallow that for a ricochet, which is to prevent rugby cunts from actively using there hands/arm.