Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

While the posts about his looks were bad crack, I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at those who thought he would be a bad signing at the time.  All just opinion, and we’ve all been wrong before.

(I’ll just add here that I wasn’t one of them :))

Nah man. It's absolutely fair, because at the time it was relentless. It's hardly ever just a calmly stated opinion, and so when it backfires you deserve to get cooked!

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. I keep it about football. If my genuine thoughts on football offends you, there’s something wrong with you. I’ve not insulted anyone. 

You underestimated his potential, but you were pretty fair for the most part. Reading back over some of the other posts in here though man. Shocking.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nah man. It's absolutely fair, because at the time it was relentless. It's hardly ever just a calmly stated opinion, and so when it backfires you deserve to get cooked!

Some of it was pretty bad :) - but I've no issue with anyone honestly questioning signings being made.  Nowt wrong with that.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Some of it was pretty bad :) - but I've no issue with anyone honestly questioning signings being made.  Nowt wrong with that.

Like I said that is not the issue, and I really don't like how it gets minimised to that once things backfire, and people start backtracking.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Like I said that is not the issue, and I really don't like how it gets minimised to that once things backfire, and people start backtracking.

People talk on the internet like they do in the pub post-match - hyperbole sets in.  If everything I'd said in a pub post-match was recorded and written up on the internet, I wouldn't be able to defend it in the cold light of day.

Don't get me wrong, I also don't doubt that if the lad had been shite there would be plenty of 'I told you so's.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

While the posts about his looks were bad crack, I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at those who thought he would be a bad signing at the time.  All just opinion, and we’ve all been wrong before.

(I’ll just add here that I wasn’t one of them :))

Having an opinion on a signing is normal, and we as fans don't always love every signing, it's the utter shredding the lad took from a lot of posters before he'd even kicked a ball. That's without mentioning the complete lack of trust it showed in EH and the recruitment team when all they've done is deliver signings and players who have moved us on several levels.

I wasn’t keen when we were said be interested, in fact I was confused that first Chelsea then us were trying to buy him (for big ££) but that’s long gone, he’s fantastic.  I just saw a player full of piss and wind in an aggressive counter attacking Everton side but he’s shown himself to be so much more.

The U21 tournament was an eye opener and he carried on when he came back to us, as people have said above he’s currently one of our best players.  He’s fast, skilful, clever and committed but his best attribute for me right now is his competitiveness.  He plays like he hates the opposition, and that’s what winners do.  I really hope we get his best years, he’s only 22 and will surely get better and better

52 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You underestimated his potential, but you were pretty fair for the most part. Reading back over some of the other posts in here though man. Shocking.

It’s looking like it.  But as soon as he’s played well, scoring and creating ive given him credit. I’ve no bias against the boy. I want him to do well. Same thing with Almiron or any other player I don’t rate as highly as many on here.  I used to think Schar would struggle in a back 4.  I was wrong. He’s brilliant. I’m happy that I was wrong. Because that was a commonly held view people don’t quote me after every good performance.  I also said from the start Pope is a level above Dubs, many disagreed. It’s opinions until the lads prove what’s what on the pitch. I don’t hold it against anyone like some do with me. Someone @‘d me when Almiron scored in preseason. Imagine if I tagged them back every game he has 0 goals 0 assists - how pathetic.  

The best part of his goal was the 5 yard flick that gave him room to step into the strike and swerve the ball around the defender and the keeper to the far corner. 

A few have said he lacks creativity, but that shows he has it and then some. He might lack a mazzy dribble down the wing, but he’s more about power and striding past defenders. 

I’d describe him as a two way power forward, with incredible pace and stamina, that can track his man, recover when need be. 

He looks an absolute bargain now. [emoji38]

We underestimate how hard it is for a player to be this productive at the top level at his age. Feels like he’s in his prime already but has a long way to go in terms of improvement.

It’s been forever since I’ve felt this way about one of our young players, but I think we have someone in Gordon who could potentially become truly world class.

(the last time I felt that way was Andy Carroll so hopefully I’m not as horribly wrong this time :lol:)

Edited by oldtype

He just straight up murders people in any footrace. Love that he knocks it seemingly too far ahead, easily reaches it and cuts inside with mad agility. 

I really didn't get this signing, but to be honest I thought he was a more central midfielder. He's absolutely lethal on the left though. 

He was very, very good but we do need a bit of context here. SU did not deal with him well. He was up against a CB not a RB.

He also needs to put in productive performances regularly before he can be judged properly. 
I didn’t slate  him after the Milan game and I’m not declaring him the ‘a level above’ after yesterday.

The whole team had a good game and AG certainly brought a level of danger to our attack. Was fantastic to see. 
Will have a better feel for where he is in his development by the New Year I would think. 
Hope he has plenty of +ve contributions by hen.

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

He was very, very good but we do need a bit of context here. SU did not deal with him well. He was up against a CB not a RB.

He also needs to put in productive performances regularly before he can be judged properly. 
I didn’t slate  him after the Milan game and I’m not declaring him the ‘a level above’ after yesterday.

The whole team had a good game and AG certainly brought a level of danger to our attack. Was fantastic to see. 
Will have a better feel for where he is in his development by the New Year I would think. 
Hope he has plenty of +ve contributions by hen.

How many does he need to do for you Lotus? He’s had two goals and two assists in the equivalent time of five full games.