Anthony Gordon

Jack27

40 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I noticed today his running off the ball isn't very intelligent, either when pressing or when we have the ball, once he fixes that aspect he'll be even more of a threat to other teams.

his movement and pressing are his two biggest strengths imo.

He’s been poor with the ball recently though.

40 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I noticed today his running off the ball isn't very intelligent, either when pressing or when we have the ball, once he fixes that aspect he'll be even more of a threat to other teams.

Go to the previous page, top half and watch the video that specifically debunks what you are saying.

That being said, he hasn't been playing at the level he was the last 2-3 games, but every player should be allowed drop in form from time to time.

45 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I’m not sure I agree with this. His willingness to receive the ball is one of his best attributes. Literally has his palms out stretched like “give me the ball” running full speed. Pure footballer  who will only get better and better. 

42 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

I’m not sure I agree with this. His willingness to receive the ball is one of his best attributes. Literally has his palms out stretched like “give me the ball” running full speed. Pure footballer  who will only get better and better. 

I still don’t get what elite talents he has or is likely to develop. He’s decent and works well for Howe but I don’t see beyond that. 

55 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Go to the previous page, top half and watch the video that specifically debunks what you are saying.

That being said, he hasn't been playing at the level he was the last 2-3 games, but every player should be allowed drop in form from time to time.

Exactly! That take was utterly ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

17 minutes ago, Jagten said:

I still don’t get what elite talents he has or is likely to develop. He’s decent and works well for Howe but I don’t see beyond that. 

He’s decent? He’s got lethal pace, he’s desperate to succeed, he’s got excellent ability at cutting inside and leaving a man for dead with his close control. He’s got excellent movement and spots a run. He’s also great at our press and putting in the defensive effort. He’s added more goals to his game. The next step is to provide more consistent chances for his teammates. He’s fairly faultless, sure he could have better tricks and technique and beat his man down the line but his overall game is outstanding 

He's another who is clearly fantastic for the way we play and will be even better if he's not having to play every minute of every game. Barnes & Murphy back and we'll see even more from him than we're getting already (which is a lot).

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s decent? He’s got lethal pace, he’s desperate to succeed, he’s got excellent ability at cutting inside and leaving a man for dead with his close control. He’s got excellent movement and spots a run. He’s also great at our press and putting in the defensive effort. He’s added more goals to his game. The next step is to provide more consistent chances for his teammates. He’s fairly faultless, sure he could have better tricks and technique and beat his man down the line but his overall game is outstanding 

I agree his out-of-possession game is his best attribute, along with his attitude. He cuts inside because he isn’t a great progressive carrier and he isn’t good at take-ons. I’m not saying he’s bad, and he’s probably better than I thought he could be, but I don't see elite talent, is all. 

At this point in time I think it's only fair that I hold my hands up and admit I got it completely wrong about Gordon. 12 months ago when he signed I was a bit bewildered and pissed off as I'd seen nothing to warrant spending so much cash on him, he looked like a petulant, edgy and immature little cunt tbh in an Everton shirt and thought the money could and should have been spent far more wisely at the time. 

Fast forward to now and it's clear why Howe et al went for him. He's bright and full of energy, has fantastic pace and an eye for goal or a killer pass. He's become invaluable to us now. I never saw it at all at Everton but I'm seeing it each week now. He's fucking brilliant :aww:

Always good to hold your hands up when you've got it wrong

19 minutes ago, Jagten said:

I agree his out-of-possession game is his best attribute, along with his attitude. He cuts inside because he isn’t a great progressive carrier and he isn’t good at take-ons. I’m not saying he’s bad, and he’s probably better than I thought he could be, but I don't see elite talent, is all. 

Progressive ball carrier? What about in the Milan game first half where he carried the ball about forty yards with three players on his back giving us time to regain our shape? 

Edited by Astroblack

4 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Progressive ball carrier? What about in the Milan game first half where he carried the ball about forty yards with three players on his back giving us time to maintain our shape? 

I said he isn’t great at it (my point being about developing elite skills) and one sample of an open-space carry does’t offer a low variance counter. His take-on stats are low (he doesn’t do it often and isn’t very successful), and he doesn’t generate a huge amount of downstream expected goals from this. Not that this is essential (Salah is also not fantastic at this).

Just now, Jagten said:

I said he isn’t great at it (my point being about developing elite skills) and one sample of an open-space carry does’t offer a low variance counter. His take-on stats are low (he doesn’t do it often and isn’t very successful), and he doesn’t generate a huge amount of downstream expected goals from this. Not that this is essential (Salah is also not fantastic at this).

He’s 22 and has been in the league for like three season? What are you expecting? 

3 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

He’s 22 and has been in the league for like three season? What are you expecting? 

Of course he can and will improve. This is just my opinion of his ceiling, which I hope is proven wrong.

8 minutes ago, Jagten said:

His torso deception is top notch though tbf, buys him a lot of space.

He's shown great progression this season to the extent that he's one of our most consistent and important players. Still very much a work in progress. I like how he receives the ball on the half turn inside and his first touch is usually very good and allows him to use his pace to get away from the opposition. When you watch him often he is a bit predictable when he receives the ball but his pace and tenacity means he's still very effective. I think he still has room for improvement with his final ball and finishing when coming inside. The chances against Everton are an example of that. He also needs to develop a trick to exploit defenders that overplay him cutting inside. Look at the mileage Son has gotten off a simple stepover for example.

For me he exemplifies the way Howe has improved the team and the players individually, he focuses on players innate strengths and how to maximize them first and foremost. Half the team last season were historically bad the year before yet lost only a handful of games all season.

Kind of agree with Jagten to a large extent. His off the ball movement and pressing is very good and his finishing seems to have come on a lot but he needs to improve with the ball and especially his 1v1 ability. He does still struggle to beat a man in the final third.

image.thumb.png.c3585115184ed1545f765a6a4443512d.png

Bottom 10% in the league this season for successful take-on % is pretty poor and an area he needs to improve on massively. It's fine to admit this.