Anthony Gordon

Jack27

9 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

The price was the main issue. £45m tends to get you fairly close to elite level and he’s nowhere near that level yet 

That's been one of the main disconnects the whole time though. He's English and 22 (21 when we bought him). They wanted £60m for him a few months prior.

The reaction on here has been "I can't believe we paid £45m for him" and I'm quite certain the reaction from Ashworth, Howe, etc. was/is "I can't believe we got him for £45m." That's just a big gap in valuation and potential -- we'll see who ends up being right.

6 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

If Southgate isn't looking at the euro u21 player of the tournament then he needs to be gone. He probably won't though. Sterling will still be first choice when he's in his late 40's

Suspect he needs to put in some eye catching performances in the League, to grab Southgate’s attention properly. Looking forward to watching him do so. 

Gordon looked very good against Chelsea. I thought we would bring in a left footed rw instead of two right footed lws. Gordon does play a lot of rw though. Any news on Schar? Does that scare not underscore the need for back cover next? I hope so.

My recollection was there was all of about 3 people willing to give him time of day. Considerably more were worried about his impact upon the club's homoerotica.

Edited by 80

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

My recollection was there was all of 3 people willing to give him time of day. Considerably more were worried about his impact upon the club's homoerotica.

One of the 3! 

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

My recollection was there was all of 3 people willing to give him time of day. Considerably more were worried about his impact upon the club's homoerotica.

I'll be one of many who weren't exactly overjoyed, but clearly I may end up incorrect on this recent form

3 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

I'll be one of many who weren't exactly overjoyed, but clearly I may end up incorrect on this recent form

Nothing wrong with not rating him and changing your mind by the way, that's life :thup:

But the first probably 40 odd pages of this thread reached hysteria levels.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I bet the first few dozen pages of this thread make uncomfortable reading.  It was more than thinking his value was a bit inflated. 

They might be when he performs for Newcastle United, which he presently has not. 

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, that's right.  The starting point of any new signing should be vitriol until they prove themselves.

Not sure about the vitriol but it was, and still is, fair to ask if the club missed on this one. 

10 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Almost certain Miggy will start on the right. 

It’s 100% his spot to lose to be honest. Picked up right where he left off last season and is scoring for fun in the friendlies. 

Edited by cubaricho

20 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Not sure about the vitriol but it was, and still is, fair to ask if the club missed on this one. 

Given how long he has been with the squad, seems premature to ask this and yes there was some vitriol that seemed a bit over the top.

14 minutes ago, McDog said:

Given how long he has been with the squad, seems premature to ask this and yes there was some vitriol that seemed a bit over the top.

We can ask that question at any point, with increasing certainty in our answer. I think this was a miss, but don't know and want to be proven wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Jagten said:

We can ask that question at any point, with increasing certainty in our answer. I think this was a miss, but don't know and want to be proven wrong. 

Fair enough, you can ask the question on anything at anytime. Seems early to form a solid opinion is all I'm getting at. Think Big Joe.

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gordon seems like he'll be able to play left, right, behind the striker, most advanced of 3CMs, emergency striker. Going to be a huge player for us. 

I want to choose my words carefully, but I can see him being to Howe what someone like Bernardo Silva is to Pep. 

Gordon lacks Silva's technical quality, but he's versatile, industrious, and direct on the ball. I've also been very impressed with his movement in preseason. He finds spaces very well and is very rarely static in the final third.

Just now, Viana said:

I want to choose my words carefully, but I can see him being to Howe what someone like Bernardo Silva is to Pep. 

Gordon lacks Silva's technical quality, but he's versatile, industrious, and direct on the ball. I've also been very impressed with his movement in preseason. He finds spaces very well and is very rarely static in the final third.

My issue with him last year was his lack of movement at times. Seemed to just stand there on occasion. As Eddie said early "No move no good". That said, I think it was Tripps in an Athletic article that said it will take Sandro a bit to acclimate to Eddies style, similar to Gordon. I'm paraphrasing but I can find the exact quote if needed.

1 hour ago, Jagten said:

If you just entered this thread for the first time, then fair enough. But I am having real trouble buying that people who have been in this thread were not aware of the awful vitriol aimed at him.

13 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Almost certain Miggy will start on the right. 

Sounds daft but he’s (Almiron) arguably our best and most important player defensively but I think Gordon is learning that if his comments and preseason are indicative.

I’d love him to make me eat my words from when signed him like Big Joe has done.

8 hours ago, Jagten said:

The kid has been here for half a season and has still been bedding into our style.

Way too early to be asking questions of either him or the club.

This questioning of him is all really weird and I wasn’t even a particular huge fan of having him here because I didn’t like his character when he played against us.

I think he’s starting to look really good for us.