Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I was 11 so my memory's hazy but I'd put money on it being because of his consistency. Our better players had highs and lows throughout the season. Funny how Ferdinand won PFA POTY but didn't win our own award though. :lol:

The votes for POTY are cast as early as January (maybe earlier), the gig itself is in March whilst our own reviews the full season or near enough

4 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

The votes for POTY are cast as early as January (maybe earlier), the gig itself is in March whilst our own reviews the full season or near enough

97/98 while Arsenal and Man Utd dominated and we struggled to 13th, Batty was named in the PFA Team of the Season ahead of the likes of Vieira, Petit, Scholes... :lol:

8 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Cant remember us having so many pens before, and Gordon is a big reason for that.

Having a side that’s regularly attacking the penalty box and not by just crosses/set pieces helps :D 

20 hours ago, toon25 said:

Absolutely no doubt the player of the season in my mind 

Harsh on Bruno and even Schär. Wonder where we would be if even one of them had been injured during the toughest months this season.

16 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Wait, VVD and Haaland are nominated?

Yeah. For Gordon not to be nominated for the Young Player of the Year, when the likes of Udogie and Mainoo are, is mental. He's been our talisman all season in terms of performances and output. 

Looking at the nominations they seem determined to spread them across the teams depending on their position in the league rather than based on individual merit.

We've been up and down and Isak is nominated for both, so that's that. FWIW I love Isak but Gordon has been the more consistent contributor of the two, without a doubt. 

Am I right in thinking Cole Palmer has been nominated for both young player and player of the season, yet Gordon not in either. Palmer has been great but you shouldn't be in both categories taking up a spot.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Am I right in thinking Cole Palmer has been nominated for both young player and player of the season, yet Gordon not in either. Palmer has been great but you shouldn't be in both categories taking up a spot.

Isak is in both categories as well

Same as foden and haaland

Just goes to show how clueless this lot are :lol: Isak nominated for both, and he's a fantastic player but he's not even in our top 3 players this season*

*source, my match ratings

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Yeah and Palmer has been good, but the perception of him is stat-padded with pens like. Gordon should 100% be in the list of nominees. 

44 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

He’s 1 pen behind Rob Lee for the most pens won for NUFC in the premier league era. 

Season record for pens won is Andy Johnson in 04/05 with 8, so could equal or better that with three games left. 

All time record is Vardy & Sterling on 23 which you think he’ll beat in a few seasons at his current rate. He’s on 8 if you add his Everton days in. 

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

Yeah. For Gordon not to be nominated for the Young Player of the Year, when the likes of Udogie and Mainoo are, is mental. He's been our talisman all season in terms of performances and output. 

Looking at the nominations they seem determined to spread them across the teams depending on their position in the league rather than based on individual merit.

We've been up and down and Isak is nominated for both, so that's that. FWIW I love Isak but Gordon has been the more consistent contributor of the two, without a doubt. 

I mean he's going to win our player of the season, so how Isak is nominated above him is bizarre. 

Perhaps it's time to change the "young" player of the season award. Maybe limit it to 21yrs old from now on. Most of the guys on there have been playing at the top level for 4/5 years now. 

Would give other players a chance. 

It's not all that surprising tbh, and where it becomes more of a popularity contest when it's a league wide vote.

While he's gone a long way to doing so, I'm guessing AG will take a little while longer to shake his undesirable scouse scallywag tag to the wider public. Whereas Isak has been quality for us twice as long, is cool as fuck and already being tapped up by the southern press for the Sky Six so he's the one outsiders will mostly hear about. 

23 minutes ago, wormy said:

It's not all that surprising tbh, and where it becomes more of a popularity contest when it's a league wide vote.

While he's gone a long way to doing so, I'm guessing AG will take a little while longer to shake his undesirable scouse scallywag tag to the wider public. Whereas Isak has been quality for us twice as long, is cool as fuck and already being tapped up by the southern press for the Sky Six so he's the one outsiders will mostly hear about. 

As a scouser myself I am offended! 🤣

Kidding aside, it's part of who he is. That mentality drives him on the pitch.

I'd much rather he kept it and screw what the wider public think! 😄

6 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

As a scouser myself I am offended! 🤣

Kidding aside, it's part of who he is. That mentality drives him on the pitch.

I'd much rather he kept it and screw what the wider public think! 😄

My bad, I'll admit my biases against scousers are based primarily football based so I've no doubt you're sound if you escaped that for NUFC fandom. :lol:

That being said, we all seemed to hate AG when we came up against him for Everton because he seemed such a snide little prick so I assume other clubs feel the same, and he probably didn't help that with his tantrum at being subbed last season. But he seems to have kept his intensity whilst being a shit ton more professional and likeable under Eddie which will take time for people that don't regularly watch us to see as the norm.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Perhaps it's time to change the "young" player of the season award. Maybe limit it to 21yrs old from now on. Most of the guys on there have been playing at the top level for 4/5 years now. 

Would give other players a chance. 

Agree with this - it shouldn't be a common occurrence that the YPOTY nominees include some of the best in the sport. U21 makes way more sense.

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

He’s 1 pen behind Rob Lee for the most pens won for NUFC in the premier league era. 

Season record for pens won is Andy Johnson in 04/05 with 8, so could equal or better that with three games left. 

All time record is Vardy & Sterling on 23 which you think he’ll beat in a few seasons at his current rate. He’s on 8 if you add his Everton days in. 

I wonder if VAR makes it harder. Probably about the same, because you are also given pens that you wouldn't without VAR, so it goes both ways.