Anthony Gordon

Jack27

2 hours ago, KDT said:

Aye I don't think he was bought for what he could do in the 18 months after his transfer it was definitely his long term potential.

Agreed on that, I just think we're going to outgrow the likes of him rather quickly. Had we not qualified for the CL I think he'd have had a lot more game time next season. If we qualify for the CL again next season the likes of him will be upgraded I reckon.

I think although his overall fee was highish in FFP amortisation terms it isn’t much at all and his wages won’t be massive. 

If he kicks on and is great then that’s amazing for us. If he just becomes a solid squad player then he’s a sellable assest, if he doesn’t kick on then his wages will probably mean he’s still sellable. 

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

This is such a shortsighted comment.

I actually think the opposite, I think it's short-sighted to look at any of our current first teamers and be sure that they're going to be here for a while.

17 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I actually think the opposite, I think it's short-sighted to look at any of our current first teamers and be sure that they're going to be here for a while.

Can't see it, simply due to the way Eddie spoke of him when he first signed.

Someone he's been keeping an eye on for a long time, and it sounded like Gordon knew that. I think Howe is actually chuffed to have him!

33 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Agreed on that, I just think we're going to outgrow the likes of him rather quickly. Had we not qualified for the CL I think he'd have had a lot more game time next season. If we qualify for the CL again next season the likes of him will be upgraded I reckon.

He's 21 ffs. At least give him a chance.

I remember the same arguments about Milner.  Doesn’t offer much, runs around a bit, no end product, etc etc etc.

The constant sniping at the lad is ludicrous.  Loads just didn’t want him in the first place - fair enough - but this all looks like a desire for him to flop so that they don’t feel daft.  

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's 21 ffs. At least give him a chance.

I should give him a chance solely because of his age?

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Can't see it, simply due to the way Eddie spoke of him when he first signed.

Someone he's been keeping an eye on for a long time, and it sounded like Gordon knew that. I think Howe is actually chuffed to have him!

Yeah, I really hope Eddie's right with this one, I just can't see it personally. Regardless of the player and what anyone thinks of him it's great that the club went for it based off the EH's say so.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I should give him a chance solely because of his age?

Yeah, I really hope Eddie's right with this one, I just can't see it personally. Regardless of the player and what anyone thinks of him it's great that the club went for it based off the EH's say so.

Could you see it with Joelinton/Murphy?

Idk, I'm not bowled away by any means, but it feels like we're flogging a dead horse at this point. And the negativity around him in the fan base is just going to increase the chances of it being a self fulfilling prophecy which benefits no-one.

On 30/05/2023 at 02:44, Mazzy said:

He has arguably done better when played further in field and I think had Willock and Joelinton been injured a couple of matches earlier we'd have seen alot more of him in that number 8 position. I'm still very intrigued to see what progress he makes over the summer. 

As Gordon said he wasn't as fit as our players when he signed and was playing catch up in terms of fitness.  I expect him to shine once he gets a full pre season training in.  Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see him report early for pre season!!

8 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Could you see it with Joelinton/Murphy?

Idk, I'm not bowled away by any means, but it feels like we're flogging a dead horse at this point. And the negativity around him in the fan base is just going to increase the chances of it being a self fulfilling prophecy which benefits no-one.

I'm not sure anyone saw it with those two tbh, but it's a good point - maybe it's just a slight positional shift that he needs to become more effective on a regular basis. Hopefully it doesn't take AG near 100 appearances and a Championship loan though!

2 hours ago, Deuce said:

Really hope this kid comes good for us, if for no other reason than to be able to tell so many of our supporters to shut the fuck up.

I really don’t know why Gordon provokes such strong feelings. It’s a little weird.  

We bought a young lad because he obviously has great attributes and potential to do well, then people are immediately onto him for not transforming the first team immediately. 

I know everyone thought he was a tosser before he signed, maybe that’s why. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo